Old Photo - Fordson Pulling A Trailer Load Of Crated Parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Fordson Pulling A Trailer Load Of Crated Parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

I just want to open the door and step through, I'd love to be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

That's the Minneapolis assembly plant. The building is still there.

Another view of the same tractor and trailer can be found here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/522993.html?1425750282

I think it's interesting that the tractor has a truck license plate, which indicates it could have been driven on public streets in Minneapolis, not just in and around the grounds of the plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:33 am:

I would hate to try to stop that thing on hilly roads! At best the Fordson had very little in the way of a brake and if I remember right you had to press down on the clutch to get to brake which meant the transmission was then not holding back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:09 am:

The driver probably has skills and half a brain. I bet he's using a low gear and using the engine as a brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:28 am:

But still, if it popped out of gear it could be hard to find one again - and the clutch brake system didn't come on the first years of Fordson production, I think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:01 am:

That "Half a brain" driver as you called him is out earning a living and being a productive citizen, has more then likely lived thru some of the toughest times, and contributed to the growth of this great nation! To sit at a computer 90 years later and judge a man amazes me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Dennis, I don't think James was insulting the driver. In todays society, half a brain is a compliment and that is how I took his statement. Relax!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Wouldn't you love to find that tractor and loaded trailer parked in a warehouse somewhere and forgotten. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Today that driver would be better off if he sat at home and collected food stamps and welfare rather then working. How times have changed!! :-)

(Message edited by fordmodelt on March 24, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Dennis I wasn't insulting the driver, I was complimenting him. Calm down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:54 am:

And look at all those "floor boards" the radiators and other parts are crated in ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Erick, check the trailer, same tractor, either different trailer or another load?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Appears to be the same trailer - hard to read the Minnesota "Z" trailer plate but appears to be same number, 1-347.

I agree, different load in photo in other thread. Didn't notice until you pointed it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

With the license plates and all of the advertising on the trailer, this was surely driven outside the plant. He is on the way to the nearest railroad depot with a much larger load than a TT or any other truck could haul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

That assembly plant was located on a railroad line and had its own spur/siding for the loading dock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

How about a water shipping terminal? Delivery to local dealers? License plates and advertising wouldn't be necessary inside the plant, and I doubt that a large trailer would be loaded with such a variety of different parts to move just inside the plant and unload again. It was going outside for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

It's already outside the barbed wire fence and heading somewhere. There is a Model T behind it and possibly one more. There could be a row of Model T's back there being delivered to local dealers along with parts. Could even be part of a parade. Looks like maximum advertising value is being utilized for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Interesting discussion. But what caught my eye at first glance was the bar across the gate that appears to mark a maximum height. I don't know if that would be intended for loads going in or going out, but that trailer is right up close to it. Somewhere, there is probably a doorway with an opening one inch higher than that bar.
Great photo! And I would LOVE to have that tractor!
Thanks all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration