Top Boot Recommendation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Top Boot Recommendation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:39 am:

I need a new top boot for my '25 Touring. Thinking of ordering Lang's #TBT7CL. https://www.modeltford.com/item/TBT7CL.aspx

Has anyone used one of these or have a recommendation of another that fits well and lasts? This is mainly for use when trailering, so good resistance to high winds is a plus.

NOTE: Not looking for 100% originality, just good fit, durability and resistance to billowing out in the wind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Jerry,

In a previous post it was noted that sometimes when a new top is added, the result is a larger mass of material that must be covered than what was "original".
Is there any way to measure your folded top and speak with Langs about the fit?
See:
By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 09:57 am:
I love the small Mom & Pop shops for all kinds of good reasons, but the largest strictly-Model T supplier of parts deserves equal mention. _Lang's Old Car Parts is a family business that went from small to large because of its outstanding, very personal customer service and scrupulously honest business practices.

On one occasion when I purchased, from Lang's, a top boot which didn't fit my car—and I ripped it while trying to get it to fit—I phoned Don Lang and he told me that this kind of problem wasn't unusual because when the tops on many of these old cars were restored, quite often they ended up being as much as an inch wider than original factory size. _He had me take measurements of my top and with no mention of money, told me to return the old top boot and he'd personally see to my satisfaction. _At no further charge, Don bore the expense of the top boot I had ripped, had a new one custom made for my car's over-size by the manufacturer, sent it to me and even covered the shipping costs.

Then there were the countless times I phoned Lang's for advice, and over the course of the six years I've owned my Model T, they must have spent ten man-hours talking me through my problems—for free.

Some parts suppliers—and I'm thinking of one in particular—charge an arm and a leg for shipping, but for small parts that will fit into an envelope, Lang's charges me for the postage stamps. _This outfit is as honest as a summer day is long in Alaska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Dave,

I have always appreciated Lang's customer service, (as well as Chaffin's!), but didn't know that they would "go the extra mile" on getting a good fit for the boot if my dimensions were a bit "off". That's good feedback, thanks!

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Yeah. _There's no way for most of us to know whether a top has been restored to original dimensional specs. _Obviously, if your top is in really good condition, somebody, somewhere along the line, did some non-factory work there. _Most of the time that doesn't involve replacing the skeletal framing, but when you're dealing with a century-old vehicle, it doesn't pay to make assumptions if you don't have to.

_To avoid complication, it'd probably be prudent to phone Lang's and get directions on how to measure out your top (I forgot the specifics of taking the measurements; it was a few years ago). _Provide the numbers and it'll be known in advance whether a standard-size boot will fit. _By the way, a top boot really does make a car look sharp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Jerry

This is a Lang's supplied top boot on my '24. Fits is good, takes some time to fold the top material in good tight folds, but slips on great.

3 Straps from the front edge lay down the rear backrest, and you lift up the rear cushion to pinch them tight. Course, don't trailer a T with boot only, add some Bungee straps over it for highway winds.

Man's best friends and best car ever

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Just for the record, Ford did not include top boots for '23-'25 open cars. I made a boot for my '25 roadster from a NOS '16-'22 boot, and it is fine, except I just couldn't put the eyelet in the back curtain for the center strap. Also the boot doesn't cover the portion of the top that is attached to the rear socket, but I'll live with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Looks like one passenger is factory and the other is "natural finish".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I ordered one for a 22 roadster, and when I got it, it didn't fit. It was too short from front to back. Apparently, the top bows are not original to this car. The top bow goes out farther than the others when the top is down. I sent a picture and gave them dimensions and they exchanged for a custom made at no additional cost. I think I ordered it from Lang's. It's been a few years.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Dan,

That's the style of boot I've been using. It always fit very tight and ripped early on. I've been getting by with it ever since but it's pretty far gone now. With Dave's suggestion above, I'll consult with Lang's before ordering another. Yours however looks to fit very nice. How long have you had it? Maybe they added a little more room in it since I bought mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Jerry,

I have the same experience as Dan with the Lang's top boot for my '23 Touring.

It works excellent for trailering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Jerry

My photo file says 2002, that is when I got that boot, it was new in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

Jerry,
I got one for my '17 touring from Elizabeth at Classtique. She asked for the measurements when I ordered it, and it fit perfectly!
But it seems like I heard someone say Classtique had been sold to someone else. Does anyone know if that's true?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration