Fords inferior ignition

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fords inferior ignition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:59 am:

I posted this before and feel that it is relevant to post again.

Ford's inferior ignition

I wonder how the Ford Motor Company was able to sell a product with such an inferior ignition system - ac power from a rotating magneto, four coils, mechanical timing for so long. And so many - 15 million. Imagine servicing this cars ignition with a battery, 3 amp analogue meter and a even a flywheel and magneto coils from the car mounted on a heavy stand - and turned by hand.

And at the end of the 20th century a small computer chip and light emitting diodes corrected the method of ignition analysis and repair -- on a 100+ year vehicle with such an awful ignition system. Gotta' love technical advancements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:04 am:

If T's are so awful, why do you own one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Yes, the original system is so bad that lots of people replace it with "upgrades" that break down on tours. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:11 am:

What?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Stephen,

I think George was being ironic, facetious, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Well, after 15 million sold, and who knows how many thousands still running, it couldn't have been so terrible. Have you considered that maybe your estimation of its inferiority may have some flaws of it's own?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:20 am:

The system made sense in 1908 - no battery to fail or go flat; cheaper and more reliable than an HT magneto etc.
BUT
One of the mysteries of the Universe is why Ford kept this system after they introduced the 6v dynamo and starter in 1919. By then, 'only' about 3000000 Ts had been made, the distributor was proven technology and they could have saved the cost of the magneto coils, magnets and three coils on each of 12000000 T cars and trucks - millions of Dollars - and reliability and maintainability would have been better too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Ok, maybe I was wrong and he was being serious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Chris,

Henry Ford's hero was Thomas Edison. T.E. would not adopt AC current, even when technological advances allowed it to be far better than DC in so many ways. Why? Because he had his stubborn pride that the system he invented would not be changed, (especially by a man he despised, Tesla). Henry was of the same mindset I think, with regard not only to the magneto/coils ignition, but to the Model T itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:29 am:

I'll add the following to my post above;

... and who was going to tell Henry Ford he was wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I have a buzz box like the one in George's photo. It is useless for testing coils or plugs. Looks nice on the wall though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Chris

You posted:
mysteries of the Universe is why Ford kept this system after they introduced the 6v dynamo and starter in 1919. By then, 'only' about 3000000 Ts had been made,

To my view, Henry kept the magneto in place with the coils, as he had already sold 3 mil. To change would make the previous T's in-compatible with current production. He was making T's to sales...and sales were flying...everytime he cut the price with volume, sales climbed.

So. Henry kept the path. Made the T universal, parts and repairs anywhere in the world, part changes had to be minimal, so as not to obsolete the T and leave prior owners or the dealers/repair shops in the lurch.

When Henry did make the change to Model A, he used that dizzy. Made sense then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

So, you guys don't think things such as possible patent infringement and Henry's hatred of such things had anything to do with it,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

I think patent rights had something to do with it. If Henry had used another method which was patented by someone else, he would have to pay royalties. He wanted to keep the cost of production down. His ignition method worked very well if it was kept in order. In fact even today, I have noticed more cars with modern ignition systems break down than the ones with Ford system. All you need to do is carry one or two spare coils, a spare spark plug or two and perhaps a spare timer and you keep on going. Interestingly it is usually someone else who needs to borrow my extra coil to keep going. I have yet to have to replace the timer on the road. Not only what I have posted above, but when they are stock, almost everyone knows how to fix it and there are spare parts available on tours.

Just keep on replacing your coils with distributors. Then sell them at swap meets. I buy them if they are not too expensive. A good coil tester is a good running T. Just take the spare coil and plug it in. If the T keeps running smoothly, keep the coil. If not put it into a pile of future coils to be rebuilt.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

I think we may be having an attack of irony impairment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

I initially thought so as well Steve, but am not so sure now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

Mere trolling ... nothing else.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

No not trolling. For all the years the T was manufactured and the years it survived, none of you ever wonder how the car made it this far with such simple tools. And now we are solving the problem with 20/21 century technology? And the new technology is better than the old? As time goes by the Hand Cranked Coil Tester and the buzz coil tester will be shelf items. The period text on maintaining the ignition was simple and easy to follow and the car was usable. As with those who have owned a T for many years, you can tell when a coil drops out, or by the seat of you pants you feel the miss. How do you correct the problem? Certain not with a microchip scanning tool. In time finding the ignition problem will be very expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

I see where you're going now George. That "seat-of-the-pants" intuitive knowledge that people had for technology in the days of the Model T are fast disappearing. However, it's been replaced by an intuitive knowledge based on today's technology. Without putting the T ignition in terms of today's technology, there will be many who can't understand it. Maybe not to you or I, but definitely for younger people, the "microchip scanning tool" WILL be the way to correct the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

Both old and new can be useful. The HCCT has worked well for a century. But it's big and heavy and costs several times the price of a Strobo-Spark, which also works well. On the other hand, I haven't heard of anything for magneto testing that beats the old Saint Louis tester. I'm ready to learn if anyone knows of something better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

I have a Strobospark. It has made Henry's old coil system so reliable, I worry that I will never need to use it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

When one thinks many people in the country never got power until the late 30's or WW-2 a model T must have been very handy! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

The world has changed so much. I went to a communications systems seminar about thirty years ago. One factoid they put out was that crossing the 50 percent point of homes in America that had their own telephone did not occur until after WWII (1948 if I recall correctly). At that time (30 years ago), we were poised to cross the 50 percent mark for homes that had a cell phone to carry with them wherever they went. Remember also, we are saying one phone per most households versus one cell phone per most households. Today, about 50 percent of individuals have a cell phone, and single households may have a half dozen phones total and sometimes more. Linda and I have four between us. One land-line, her smart (?) phone, my cell phone, and the portable tablet line.

Model T technology was good solid technology in 1908. It was an improvement in many ways over anything else available before. Yes, it was technically surpassed only three years later (Kettering's starter/generator added to an improved distributor). But it took almost five more years to work bugs out and make the new system really reliable.
Frankly, the model T ignition technology is good solid technology today. It would not surprise me if something very similar (with only minor construction changes) did not come back on cars in the future. Many cars today use something very close to it. Most of the perception of the model T system being archaic is rooted back in the '50s and '60s when people started restoring model Ts. Most of them had not really understood the system, and the cars were then old enough to have developed age related issues. Being an unfamiliar system, people did not know how to fix it, so they blamed it.
We really need to thank Ron P and John R for re-educating us on the realities of the model T miracle.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

If I had a nickel for every time I've said to somebody, "well if it were a Model T then you could get it started" then I could buy my own HCCT. If everything is working properly you can start on mag with a few slow pulls, no battery. You can't even get a riding mower to start without a battery. I've cranked my T at 15 degrees farenheit (that's about as cold as it gets here) on mag. I bet a lot of people were cussing their dead batteries that morning, not that I went anywhere but I could have. Batteries, points and condensers are IMO inferior to the stock T ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:26 am:

Quesion? How come my inferior car starts and
always starts on a half turn. How come atleast
85% of the time it starts by itself turning the
key on. (I know the answer) How come my computor
driven new crap turns over about 10 times then
starts. You all know the sound 'wa wa wa wa wa wa
wa then it starts. Then to tease 21 century wanna
be's with my V8 flaties things running as fast as
you hit the button that equals 1/4 turn. Us old
guys got the last laugh. 100 yrs from now, try
and find a computor for your 2016 Toyota eh..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:59 am:

The survival rate of the T speaks for itself. No other car has survived in any where near the number of T's. In 1927 when T's were only made for a few months, chevy out sold T's for the first time. It is rare to come across a 27 chevy. 27 T's on the other hand, are all over the place. Of course if you talk to a chevy guy, they'll tell you that the chevy was a lot better. My answer is always "if that's so, where are they"? The same is true through the A and V8 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:14 am:

I believe it is fairly well documented that Henry Ford was loath to change what he believed was a "perfect" product, even when technology had marched on and sales sagged. What Ford and his team developed was a supremely reliable vehicle for its day. As we have all witnessed, new technology is not always reliable. Sometimes it takes time to work the "bugs" out of it. You have to wonder if Ford wasn't willing to risk losing sales and his reputation on replacing a proven ignition system with a newer variety. Even when the Model T was way past the point of being obsolete, Ford refused to change its basic systems. Even its replacement, the Model A, is really not a radical leap forward considering the advance of technology at the time. I'm pretty sure Ford understood the old adage the "Newer is not always better".

Just having purchased a new 2016 F 150 with all its "bells and whistles", I'm not convinced "newer is better". What I am convinced is that newer is a heck of a lot more confusing though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:36 am:

If Henry Ford had followed his intended plans ...

The Ford name would have died with the Model T

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Note the location of the distributors on the early V8's. Same location as the Model T timer! Instead of spark advance they had a vacuum brake which retarded the spark when the vacuum was low.

They worked very well unless you went through a puddle of water. Then things would get wet!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I agree, Ford's ignition is far from inferior, given the tools and knowledge to set it up and maintain it correctly. The expense and time needed to master use of those tools is a key reason I developed the ECCT. It is the lowest cost, commercially available coil/capacitor tester available today and CAN test the magneto field strength just as effectively as the St. Louis Magneto tester (even provides the a numerical indication of magnetic field strength) it DOES contain a microchip to make it very accurate and easy to use yet some folks fear mentioning the merits of it here. The one aspect of the Ford ignition system the ECCT doesn't do well with; the politics associated with the Ford ignition system.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/626337.html?1458707452#POST823222

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Mike my post was not intended to be a place to advertise your product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:29 am:

George,

But its OK to plug John Reagan's Strobo-Spark tester on your post.

Thank you for affirming my point so well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:50 am:

I must have missed something, because I don't see where George plugged John Reagan's product in any of his comments above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

The point you missed Ron, was some contributors get a pass while others are called out and chastised. Several folks mentioned the Strobo-spark and all is well but mention the ECCT and its advertising. That's what I meant by the politics associated with the Ford ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

"Politics" has nothing whatsoever to do with Model T coil testing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Mike, what I don't miss is every post I've read from you in the last 4+ years has to do, directly or indirectly, with a product that you are selling. Now, that is "plugging."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I may be alone, but I did not get into this hobby to IMPROVE on the Model T design, but to understand it. I find great joy in tuning the Model T as designed.

I have installed the TW timer on my cars, but the brush vs roller timer is not a new improvement as this design was available early on.

My cars are very reliable and I have gone so far as to install the original 5 ball carburetor on my 1910.

To each their own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Well stated, Rod. Me too. Respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

As I mentioned in the sausage & peppers post and it's been repeated here: some guys get a pass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Ron in MA, you also affirm my point very well. Ron Patterson promotes his starter and coil rebuilding business in all of his Forum posts by ending each and every post with "Ron the Coilman", over 2500 times at last count and that's OK, he gets a Pass. But you single me out for doing the same, a small fraction of the time. I don't get a pass. Alas, Politics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Ron Patterson, I respectfully disagree. You slammed the ECCT in another thread as being in the same category as a Buzz Box tester that falls short of doing the job adequately. You stated upon close analysis, performance claims are technically flawed. When pressed for rational from myself and several other, very knowledgeable folks who did extensive technical analysis of the ECCT, and found no such technical flaws; you gave none except your understanding of the differences in capabilities of the various coil testing devices and the qualitative results obtained using them; nothing more than conjecture. No details, no data, and conclusion in complete contradiction with scores of other folks who actually used it. How is that possible?

In another thread the ECCT was mentioned, you chimed in and said: "In my view when you objectively evaluate the key factors of cost, capability and test methodology the best value for money is the FunProjects Strobo Spark tester." How do you possibly "objectively" evaluate coil testers when the one you favor is made by your close personal friend?

The answer is very simple; Politics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Mercy, No need for such bickering.
Ron's nickname or cb radio style handle is not plugging or anything else. That is just what people know him as. But to insert a plug, he is dang good at what he does and when i read his post I can use that info with confidence. I have used his products when budget allowed and what he says makes sense and is backed by experience.

BUT at the same time Mike, you are obviously versed in modern computers and technology and
and worked hard to develop your product. No I have not used 1. 1 of the folks you sent 1 to is a friend of mine and we discussed it and from what I understand that person was happier with his original system and sent it back to you as agreed.
Personally, as long as my coils buzz with the factory system, hey, it's a Model T. That is what it does, Buzz.:-)
Besides, Ford and others have went back to separate coils per cylinder. So was it that bad of a idea?
There is room in this hobby for both systems and all the folks here with different opinions.
We have to be adults sometimes and agree to disagree and be done with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

This is a plug for something you make and sell. ""I developed the ECCT. It is the lowest cost, commercially available coil/capacitor tester available today and CAN test the magneto field strength just as effectively as the St. Louis Magneto tester (even provides the a numerical indication of magnetic field strength) it DOES contain a microchip to make it very accurate and easy to use yet some folks fear mentioning the merits of it here.""

The others in this post mentioning the Strobo Spark or the St. Louis Magneto tester are not trying to sell the product. I guess I just plugged your product. Oh Dear!

Can the moderator please this post "Fords inferior ignition ?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Mike
Stay calm, those black helicopters you are hearing are not coming for you.
Ron (not the Coilman)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

No "politics" here - I own none of the devices mentioned in the
discussion above and have zero connection to those who sell them. I'm just calling a spade a spade; no one was "plugging" any particular device until you jumped on here with this infomercial:

"The expense and time needed to master use of those tools is a key reason I developed the ECCT. It is the lowest cost, commercially available coil/capacitor tester available today..."

Prior to that, it was simply an exchange of views among hobbyists.

-Ron the Doodlebugman (<--- not a promotion, just a handle)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Ron, I have saw the black helicopters not once but twice.1 was actually flying over my head in front of my old shop-shed at about 200 feet, with a guy hanging out the side with a camera. So I don't joke about them. They didn't take me or at least I don't remember if they did! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Mack, I think its more of a brand than a handle when you sell products and services commercially under the same moniker; the ads and business cards say the exact same thing. Others feel the same way as they brought it to my attention.

I don't dispute the quality of Ron's work or his numerous contributions to the hobby. I also don't think there is anything wrong with using his moniker on the forum as he has and agree there is room in this hobby for multiple contributors. Just object to having my contributions slammed without merit. By the way the contribution slammed was my Coil Tester, not timer but can understand your confusion, its received its share too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

George, I apologize for the thread drift. I thought politics is a good explanation for the way things are the way they are.

Ron Patterson, I had similar thoughts about your mindset. For goodness sake, at least test the ECCT and have some real basis for classifying it in the same category as a buzz box. Why else risk irrelevance with everyone who has tested it and knows differently! Seems crazy to me!

(Message edited by mkossor on March 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Politics (“from Greek: Definition; ......It also involves the use of power by one person to affect the behavior of another person”). This is the definition of politics I was referring to that is the only logical rational to me for making unsubstantiated derogatory claims about something that are contradictory with scores of other’s actual experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Well to some it may appear the topic of the Ford Ignition is like beating a dead horse -

The term in its "" ... early written form of this idiom goes back to at least 1859, recorded in the Watchman And Wesleyan Advertiser newspaper in London. Inside, there's an article that reads:

"It was notorious that Mr.Bright was dissatisfied with his winter reform campaign and rumor said that he had given up his effort with the exclamation that it was like flogging a dead horse." ""

A fair number of topics in the forum are repeated may times - usually by a newbie or just the stumped hard core T owners.

Consider what education is repetition-repetition of a subject or problem. The repetition of a subject is a constant flogging and the flogging is a way to learn.

How may times have you seen a discussion on carbs, ignition, water pumps, magnetos - not every one wants to go back through the years of forms to find the answer to their question. And not every one has discretionary income to by new products.

As for the troll hunters -- remember that within the forum are the curmudgeons who are not trolls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:10 am:

George - wasn't the topic of the Ford ignition I was referring to. That is not a dead horse at all. Was referring to the continual mention of "politics" - now accompanied by a definition in case any of us needed it defined - by one individual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Given the innuendo suggesting mental impairment, I thought further clarification was justified and warranted.

Lacking ANY creditable defense otherwise, I can fully understand why some would prefer to let this thread die and just go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I always carry four extra coils in my cars, just in case. I feel sorry for those who have no faith in Fords ignition system, it's one of the things that makes a T a T! The only improvement I've made is I like New Day Timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:38 am:

From the first post, I knew this was going to go south. :-) Get out the Hurt Feelings Reports, boys ...
Someone is going to take it all personally and feel the need to defend something/everything !

Face it, gents, .... just look at what our media sells us as the only way to live. It should be obvious
that, according to them (and they DO rule the world !) that we are nothing but losers and malcontents
who just can't (or won't) get with the program ! I mean, what person in their right mind WOULDN'T
sign on for a lot of debt so they could drive a new plastic car with a computer, right ? Yeah, ... I can
dig it. I hear what you're saying.

And I am OK with that ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I really don't agree with this "beating a dead horse" objection! It takes a lot of repetition for somebody like me to finally get it through my "thick skull"! But I finally made what I think is a good decision, and it's all thanks to the forum and those that have repeatedly preached the merits of carrying extra coils for the original Ford flywheel magneto/four coil system.

I have finally come to the conclusion that it just makes sense to carry four extra distributors in each of my distributor equipped Model "T's! Only two problems now,......will I have enough room (with all my other "spare" stuff) to carry 4 distributors under the seat, and, it probably will be a bit expensive to obtain twelve more distributors for "spares" for the three of my "T's that don't run coils, but hey! Best to be prepared, right?....... ( ; ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

I really don't agree with this "beating a dead horse" objection! It takes a lot of repetition for somebody like me to finally get it through my "thick skull"! But I finally made what I think is a good decision, and it's all thanks to the forum and those that have repeatedly preached the merits of carrying extra coils for the original Ford flywheel magneto/four coil system.

I have finally come to the conclusion that it just makes sense to carry four extra distributors in each of my distributor equipped Model "T's! Only two problems now,......will I have enough room (with all my other "spare" stuff) to carry 4 distributors under the seat, and, it probably will be a bit expensive to obtain twelve more distributors for "spares" for the three of my "T's that don't run coils, but hey! Best to be prepared, right?....... ( ; ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

The beating the dead horse referred to someone's constant use of the term "politics" when defending his position that there is some conspiracy against the product he sells. He went so far as to finally cut and paste a definition of "politics" above. Read the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Mack Cole - When you go out to your shop, don't forget your hat! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

1927 was the last year for the Model T and the inferior ignition system. The posting of the foil hat is relevant on this posting. In 1927 Popular Mechanics posted this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Go Ahead, Laugh.I do have tin foil around my debit card though.
Tin foil wouldn't helped with the yahoos flying over my head that day.All I could do was look up and see the guys eye that wasn't stuck in a camera.
To be completely honest, the chopper was flat black,no marks. But there was a drug bust not long after that in the local paper in my general area. chances are it was law enforcement with some kinda camera trying to pickup the colors of pot plants. But it was flat black.and it scared me bad. I was afraid I was fixen to get hauled off to somewhere I would never come back from!

To get back on topic, the only part of the T ignition I have trouble with nowadays is the dang switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:00 am:

Mack Cole, I do have to laugh! In little old Grass Valley is an electronics company known the world over for cutting edge design and development. A few years ago, they were working on new camera development for drug enforcement detection. There were actually articles in our local paper calming the local citizenry because of all the test flights in our area. I saw them several times myself.
I never could figure out exactly how that was supposed to reassure all the illegal pot growers meth cookers in our area.
It is indeed a strange world we live in.
Do drive carefully, and do try to enjoy it! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:12 am:

I don't know about inferior ignition, but it sure must have been a high maintenance item. Timers and coils/points/adjustment seem to be the issue. No wonder there were so many timer versions trying to improve the reliability. Ultimately the dependable distributor emerged. Here is a collection of dead and worn out timers of all breeds...and I have a pile of dead coil points to match.
timers

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration