Trailer winch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trailer winch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:51 am:

I'm thinking of buying an enclosed trailer (7x14 dual axle) for my touring car, but the door opening is 67", which isn't big enough for me to sit in while loading. A car winch could make this work, since I can't afford a bigger trailer at this time. Any winch recommendations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

I outfitted my trailer with a winch from Grainger, model 3VJ64. It's no longer available, but is replaced by two others that seem about the same - one is $300 and the other $400. I'm sure Harbor Freight or Northern Tool has similar winches for less.

What you want is a winch that will operate in either direction, depending on which way it is attached to the battery. That's important.

I placed two power relays providing power to the winch in the two directions, then operated the relays with a long cord with a 2-way momentary switch on the end. That way, I can sit in the car or stand alongside it outside the trailer, and operate the winch. If your trailer doesn't provide plenty of room around the car, that is a necessity.

It occurs to me to ask, are you sure the windshield will clear the door? On my Touring, the windshield doesn't fold down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

I bought a winch from Harbor Freight and it works just fine. I think it's a 4,000 pound winch if I remember correctly. They had them on sale a couple of years a go and with a coupon I saved 20% more and only paid around $35 for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Bill, a 7' x 14' trailer is the very very minimum size needed for a Model T. With 7' width you can hardly get around the side of the car. If this trailer is for your '14 Touring, then the car is about 11 1/2 to 12' long. That only leaves about 1' space in the front and back. With the top folded down it may be even tighter that that.

You might want to do some close measuring and talk to others with trailers that size for their opinion on how pleased they are.

Just a heads up as it helps to check things out before you buy one.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

I like our 8'6" x 16' as it gives me room for a small air compressor,battry charger,extra tires,and the 3,000 watt Honda! Opp's i almost left out the fact i'm fat and the extra room helps!!Bud in powerless Wheeler!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Opp's again,18'.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Bill;
I don't know how old u r and how heavy u r, but my 8X20 ft. extra ft. tall trailer was fine in my younger yrs, but I bought an 8 1/2X20 ft. trailer because even at 8X20 it was a tight fit.
If all I could afford is what u r talking about buying, I would buy an open trailer.
U will never be happy with what u r thinking about buying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Dennis, my wife bought be a winch from Harbor Freight for Christmas. It says it's for an ATV rated at 2,500 pounds. I was going to have the local trailer shop mount if for me. Will something like this work on my trailer? How is yours performing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

I pull α 1911 open runabout up my tilt trailer with a 2500 winch with a remote switch and have had to replace both of those. 1 because of the remote and 1 the winch went bad. I use a snatch block. I replaced them under warrantee with a 3500 lb. and it only worked twice and needs to go back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

All 3 were from harbor freight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Richard M;
How steep is your tilt trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Bill, my trailer is very narrow. Once I forgot to unlock the side door and drove the T in and shut it off. Top up, crank start, no cell phone, that was like locking your self in a jail cell and throwing away the key!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Dean;
What did u do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Another bad thing is you can only haul model T's?? With a larger/longer you can haul other cars/trucks and when you back up you will look sharper as a longer trailer is easier to back up.As nice as Bill's 14 is it would be a shame to have it damaged in any way!! Bud who now has power like everyone else!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Richard, I crawled out over the top of the back fender hanging onto the top so I would not bend the fender down. I thought about waiting for my wife to miss me, but I thought that would take about three days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Marty,

I have had my winch for about 4 years and I have not had any issues with it. I have an open trailer and I made a plate to fit on the tongue of the trailer with the winch mounted on it and a battery mounted beside it in a milk crate. I simply set everything on and run a couple of bolts thru the plate and I'm ready to load or unload the car. When I'm done I take the winch plate off the trailer tongue and store it in the garage. I did go check and my winch is 2500 lb not 4000 like I posted above. and it is more then enough for a 1200 lb Model T.

For those who are having trouble with their Harbor Freight winch...release the brake on your car before you drag it on the trailer :-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Bill consider buying a used trailer. You'll be glad you got a wide one. I still cuss when trying to squeeze along side and had to sympathize with Dean. I know how he felt and I have a door on both sides!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

If you want a winch motor to last you have to feed it well like Dennis said he did?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Dennis, thanks. I have a large trunk on the tongue for storage of stuff and plan to put a small 12v battery in there, drill some holes for the wires and I should be good. I'm assuming the ATV winch is weatherproof as they normally mount on the front bumper of an ATV.

Is there a reason why you take the winch off the trailer when not in use?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Marty,

Where I live I roll my sidewalk up at night and take it inside. :-) I don't need to loose the winch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

I have a v-nose 14x8.5 wide. This gives me 15 feet to the point. It fits model T and also fits my model A coupe. There is room for a port-a -potty up front along with some tools and parts. I almost bought a 7 foot wide until I saw a guy having to under the car to put the left front tie down on. I am glad I got the 102" wide. I drive my car in. I bolted a 2x4 stop to the floor to let me know how far to drive in. I bought a HF electric wench, but have never needed it so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Marty & Dennis - I have a 2500# Harbor Freight winch on my open trailer and it works great! I made one improvement recently that I think you might consider:

I use a snatch block (also available from HF) in conjunction with my 2500# winch, and when you could use some extra power as the front wheels of the "T" start up the steepest couple feet to climb onto the trailer, the snatch block might cut the speed in half, but it doubles the power! Just run the winch cable thru' the snatch block and hook cable back onto the trailer, and with the snatch block hooked to a chain from the "T", just keep shortening up on the chain 'till you've pulled the "T" front wheels up over the toughest steep spot! Works great and the little 2500# winch doesn't even strain,....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I recommend that the selected winch have the free-wheeling feature that allows the winch line to be pulled off the drum without having to run the winch motor.
With the battery mounted on the trailer and charged from the vehicle system, you don't run the risk of accidentally discharging the tow vehicle battery. Be sure to use adequate guage wiring with adequate grounding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Bill,
I have trailered my 1911 t touring all over the USA. I do not have a winch. The trailer is 18 feet long and 8 feet wide. I run the car in the trailer and get out. I can walk all the way around the car when it's in the trailer. The trailer has a rounded front that cuts down on the wind drag. I also have cabinets for tools and parts in the front.
If I make a wrong turn, I can turn the trailer around in a two lane road.
I can put my 4:6 ford gas engine on cruise and it will stay at the speed limit and give me 12 miles a gallon.
A large trailer is a pain in the neck for me.
What ever you choose,make sure you can pull the car in with the top up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 05:07 am:

Bill,

I have always loaded & unloaded vehicles with an electric winch.

For the past (10) years I have used Harbor Freight winches exclusively.

My newest 24 foot enclosed car hauler trailer has a 9000 pound model.

My 34 foot enclosed car hauler trailer has a 12,000 pound model because it offers a drum tensioner that helps keep the winch line from tangling.

I started using the wireless remote control when they offered it years ago - it has a comfortable 75 foot operating range.

These winches offer power in & out along with a clutch release for " free spooling " ...

Harbor Freight winches have never failed me.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Dennis, oh! Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Lightfoot on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Bill, I tried a 7x14 enclosed, hated it went to a 8 1/2 X 20 love it plenty of room. I have hauled my 14 top down and fire truck with no problems. Even my Model A's, drive in and can open doors and get out.If your tow vehicle can handle it, consider it. Best to you Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I agree with Peter that if you buy a trailer where you have to put the top down to load up you will come to hate it. The first time you are on a tour and watch another guy just drive his T into the trailer with top up you will realize you goofed. I am on my third trailer. First was an open one, the next 2 were enclosed with exactly 1 foot of extra height added. Mine has an internal bed that is 16 feet long and the overall of length is about 20 feet. By careful measurement of mileage on 2 trailers of same length and width I found out that the slope nosed front end made absolutely no difference in gas mileage so on my 3rd trailer I went with normal curved front so I have the good headroom in front as well as through the trailer. I tow about 65 MPH max.

Just my $.02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Not very state at all. The open runabout doesn't weigh very much. Even though the trailer isn't very steep and I use a snatch strap both the remotes failed. Also be carefull to pull from the center or the cable will run off the spool on the small winches and bend the frame. The next bigger winch has cross bolts across the spool and you can't hardly do that. Both winches have plenty of pull power with the snatch block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

I had a 8.5 X 18' V nose enclosed with 87" highth clearance. Purchased a 3500 lb wench from Amazon.con. Around $140.00. It will free wheel or run in either direction. Run off of lawn mower battery. Works great. Leave it hooked up after loading for an extra safety. Like the extra highth. Don't have to put down the top on my 1911 or 1915. A 16' V nose would have been long enough but the 18' could haul my 2012 Ford Fusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I bought the 12k badlands winch from harbor freight for $300. Off road magazine gave strong reviews of it. I helped a buddy cut down a tree that was leaning towards his house. The tree was about 14 winches in diameter and we hooked on to it about 12 feet up. That winch pulled the tree over and uprooted it before we cut it.

The only time I winched a vehicle up was my sons suburban when the fuel pump failed. It pulled the suburban up like it was reeling in empty cable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration