Floor jack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Floor jack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Thought I would buy a new hydraulic floor jack, so I went to Sears and bought a real nice one. Guess what, it was made in China. Brought it home and it would go down after a while, once it was jacked up, so I took it back. Got some idiot that jacked it up and stood on it and he said, he couldn't find anything wrong.
Finally, he decided to give me another one. This one had a tag attached that said, if it did this to bleed it. Well, this one is doing the same thing after a yr. Might as well have went to Harbor Freight and bought one a lot cheaper. Has anyone had the same problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

I forgot the O/T. Sorry about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

H.F. jacks are most likely made by the same "off-shore" company that makes them for Sears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Sears is not a quality tool place any more. Craftsman tools are all made in china now. I really dread the day I wear out one of my USA built ratchets and have to exchange it for Chinese junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

When u get a kit to rebuild a ratchet, it is plastic, not like the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Two years ago went to buy a jack for my son's Christmas gift. After I explained to the Sears "tool associate" what a floor jack was, he showed me his flimsy offerings. The only 2 ton he had acted like it was "sticky" when released. He explained it was new so it was still a little tight (same guy that did not know what a floor jack was 5 minutes before) So I passed. I finally bought a new HF 2ton jack for my son last year... didn't expect much but so far no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I don't know why anyone would want a floor jack...why do you want to jack up your floor? :-) Buy a car jack then you can work on your car :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Yeah, Richard W, I have been having that problem for many years. With tools, car parts, and many other things. I often want to buy quality, whether I can afford it or not. All too often, I have paid three times the price of a cheap item, only to get something only slightly (if any?) better.
All too well, I remember one of the first times it happened to me, about 30 years ago. A U-joint wore out on my old pickup I drove daily at that time. I checked around locally, everything from the el-cheapo auto supply to the high-end machine and racing shop. I finally settled for a "known" quality U-joint that was three times the price of what Kragen Auto offered.
But in a hurry, and money a little tight, I changed only the one U-joint.
About three months later, I hear a U-joint beginning to fail, and it is failing fast. I figure "Sheldon you idiot! You should have changed them both when you had the drive-shaft out even though the other one felt good."
I pulled out the drive-shaft and found the old one was still good, the new one was toast. A quick test showed the new one's material was extremely soft, and had simply wore out in less than 7000 miles. I took the U-joint back to the high-end auto parts store. They got a new one off the shelf for me. I took out my pocket knife, pulled off one of the roller-bearing caps from the U-joint, and took a slice (literally) off the supposedly hardened surface. The counterman did not argue with me when I handed the U-joint back to him.
I took my refund across the street to the Kragen Auto, and bought the one for one-third the price (after testing it with my knife), and it was still good when I sold the truck more than 100,000 miles later.

Unfortunately, that was just the beginning of the end of quality in this country as company after company has followed in that path, and society has stopped teaching the values of doing things right.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Dennis is right!

I get my car jacks from HF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Think I will try to bleed this one before I pitch it. My lady friend said, I've had it for 3 yrs.Time flies when u r having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Harbor Freight ...

For 12VDC electric winches & floor jacks.

I recently " retired " the (2) aluminum low profile racing jacks after several years of service that I bought at Harbor Freight.

I opted for their 2 ton model as opposed to the 1.5 ton floor jacks I had been using - I gave them to my good friend Joe in Holbrook, AZ on my last visit .... :-)

Harbor Freight low profile aluminum floor jacks have never let me down in over (10) years of use ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:26 am:

You know, I almost hate to keep supporting Harbor Freight, but I often find the things they are selling are the same or near the same as what bigger stores such as Sears / Home Depot / Lowes, ETC are selling. They cost less and for some reason just seem to work well.

Very happy with my steel low profile floor jack from HF, with the exception that the jack pad is bolted on rather than slip on like other jacks. Works great, yes I had to bleed it initially to get it to work right, but no problem since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:31 am:

Chad,

Good point about bleeding the floor jack ...

I forgot that when I buy any jack - before I leave the parking lot I test it on my trailer to see if it will work.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Harbor Freight has a 25% off for Easter Sunday only - March 27. This is 5% more than the regular coupon.

I have an older, made in USA floor jack. The instructions on the jack say to purge before each session of use, i.e., pump the handle with the valve screw loose to purge any air that may be in the system. At a minimum, this is important to do when the jack is brand new and has never been used.

Hydraulic jacks are lifting and lowering, but should not be relied upon for holding, that is what jack stands are for. I would expect that even the best hydraulic jack with a load on it may eventually lower over a period of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Jim you said that your HF jack never let you down?
I think that was Richard's original complaint from his Sears jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I had a wonderful 2 ton Sears Craftsman made in USA floor jack that I bought around 1980. It worked perfectly until one day a couple years ago I had a flat tire on my 22 foot enclosed trailer on the Pennsylvania turnpike on my way to Carlisle swap meet.

I started to jack up the trailer and the cast iron frame of the jack broke in half, and the trailer fell down on the flat again. Scared the crap out of me. Ended up towing the trailer on the flat to the nearest Wal Mart 20 miles away where I bought a Chinese jack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

I have a harbor freight 2 1/2 ton that i have used for the last 6 years. My son has the same jack and it gives no problem after 2 years. It was 59.95 with their coupon. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

It's not that it just made in China. The Chinese can make good products if the buyer wants. To often the buyer wants a low price to sell cheap and the result is a cheap product. When the buyer wants a quality product the Chinese can make it but it won't be cheap. If we want good stuff expect to pay for it. Then there are those who try to pawn off a cheap product for a high price

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

This Walker was given to me when a Chevy dealership closed on Staten Island about 25+ years ago. I found a total re-build kit and did it up. It's only about 4" high at the front end and has almost a 2' lift height. They'll probably bury it with me because I won't get rid of it even though it doesn't get the use it did years ago. Eat 'yer hearts out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Charlie, very nice jack. I have an old Hein Werner I've used for years but it needs rebuilding now, for the cost of the kits, I can buy a couple of HF jacks. After all how long can an old man live?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

If the jack is not visually leaking, many times a jack can be fixed when it starts bleeding down. Most often, it's just dirt or manufacturing residue stuck under a check-ball.

Try this:
1. Open the release valve and let the jack all the way down.
2. With the release still open, place your foot on the front axle and lift the pad arm 6-8 inches as fast as you can.
3. Allow the arm to retract.
4. Repeat 2 & 3 a few times.
5. Close the release valve and pump-up the jack to see if it holds.

I've done this with a few floor jacks and cylinder jacks. Works every time as long as the piston seal isn't leaking. For a long term fix, drain and flush the reservoir tank with Stoddard solvent, kerosene or diesel.(repeat above steps before draining) Refill with jack oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Back in the late 50's, I worked for a hydraulic jack rebuilder. Worked on Walker, Hein Werner and other high quality jacks. After a rebuild they had to hold a load in a press at least overnight. The most common problem if they failed was as Ken said, foreign matter under check valve. Most of these units could be rebuilt several times and would last well if rebuilt correctly. We did them regularly for the local Army vehicle repair shop, as well as car dealerships, garages and service stations, and had very few problems. Even then there were low price suppliers lake Western Auto, Canadian Tire, etc. and their jacks were usually throw aways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 12:07 am:

I bought a pair of Lincoln 2.5 tonners and gave the 2nd one to my brother for Christmas. That was
30+ years ago. Mine looks "well used" and I am surprised when I see his, at how new it still looks.
I've never heard him mention it failing in any way, and mine still works like the day I brought it home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration