Wheel Shipping Advice Needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wheel Shipping Advice Needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

We are trying to ship 4 complete wooden wheels with tires and hubs about half way across the country (Colorado to New York). The online shipping estimated cost appears higher than the value of the wheels (assuming roughly 50lbs and 30"x30" for each wheel). Does anyone have any experience and/or advice on an economical way to ship them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Try Fastenal. If you have a store near you and one where you are shipping you can drop off and pick up at their stores for a substantial savings. The wheels can be strapped to a palate and don't need to be boxed. I shipped a set of wheels from Washington State to Florida for less than $150.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Try USHIP.COM a true adventure and it seems to work pretty well.

I shipped a motor half way across the country for $70. Then a work bench for $250from OK to Mich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Greyhound??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Go Fastenal as noted ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Uship and fastenal are my choices but I shipped a set of demountables with tires and a set of A wheels with tires from reno nv to Indiana last year reasonable by fedX
How I shipped them was wrap it in plastic wrap
No cardboard just plastic wrap and tape both arrived safe and sound about $45 per wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 04:56 am:

Fastenal does not ship to Colorado or California ...does anyone know the reason ? always an optimist gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 05:01 am:

Gene,

If someone is considering using Fastenal - the thing to do is call the closest store to the pickup & drop off locations & talk to the person who handles the shipping logistics - usually the manager.

It helps if you have an account or use someone that has an account at Fastenal.

In some - not all - cases, this may facilitate transport.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Fastenal does not ship to Colorado or California ...does anyone know the reason ? always an optimist gene french

Too busy smoking grass? JMO

But probably has something to do with the Teamsters Union not allowing inter store shipments to carry "outside" frreight.

Greyhound will put it on the bus from any ticket office to any ticket office. May have to box them up, might just go "as is". I shipped a large box a few years ago with them and they needed to cut a inspection hold in the box to determine what what in it. But that was fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Hey, Freighter Jim -
Maybe you could begin a sideline to your car hauling business and also carry re-spoked wheels to their owners along your route? Placed side-by-side in racks along the inside of your trailer, you could probably deliver four or more sets during one trip and make almost free money. I mean, how much more would it cost you in gasoline to carry some wheels? The owners would probably be glad to meet you along the highway or interstate without you driving your rig into town just to drop off the wheels. The savings to the wheel owner would certainly behoove him to meet you in a convenient place for you. Think of the potential market of T owners, who are scared off now from having wheels re-spoked because of the ridiculous shipping costs through the "big guys"!!! FREE MONEY for you after the initially low rack installation cost!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:08 am:

WithIn Canada Greyhound is easily the best choice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Two thoughs. I was able to ship a T pickup box from Oregon to Ohio for $100.00. Craigslist rideshare. The MTFCI has a tour in New York in July maybe a T buddy is going n would help out! JAT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Fastenal will apparently ship FROM California to other states as I recently received a quote of $175 to ship a set of wheels cross country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Marshall,

I usually have room for parts hauling on routes anchored by vehicle transport - I post up in the Classified forum.

The routes are listed as they become available.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

If you or a friend have a smartphone, check out an app called "Roadie". It puts together people taking road trips with people wanted to move an item .... cross country or cross town.

It may be available via computer - haven't tried it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration