Five Ball Kingston

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Five Ball Kingston
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Smithwick Eastford , CT. on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Wondering what the value of a restored Kingston
5 Ball carb is ?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

It depends at least to some extent who restored it. Some restorations are spit on it and wipe it off, some restore every part to new or better, test run, the whole deal. Were the seats ground and the balls replaced?? New correct adjustment shaft and knob? New correct throttle shaft? Float?? Needle and seat? All brass parts remachined so they seal correctly?? $1500 +++ if all that was done. Scabbed together?? $6 700 bucks because the buyer is looking at another 5 800 to get it done right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

There you are Daniel. You heard it from the Master! Anything less than a Stan Howe restoration is just a repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

"Anything less than a Stan Howe restoration is just a repair."

Backspace, backspace, backspace,-----

Typing,

Anything less than a Stan Howe restoration is just a patch up.

Not trying to stomp on ya Steve H. I agree with you. Just my snidely way of saying so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 02:09 am:

I'm with you Wayne. Many repairs are just patch ups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:18 am:

It depends on whether it is a 1909, 1910, or 1911 carb. Also, whether you have the spark arrestor or not in the case of the earlier versions.

Also, is it a reproduction or an original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Thank you for the compliments. However, I do not mean to imply that I am the only person who does quality restoration on carburetors. Russ Potter does fine work, a couple other people do excellent work.

I do see a lot of JB weld, needles and seats from lawn mower engines that won't flow enough gas to run, etc., that are called "restored." I also see quite a few 4 and 5 ball Kingstons that don't run any better than they did before they were worked on because the balls still leak.

Everybody has their own standards of quality, mine are not as high as some, higher than some.

Not trying to pimp the deal but take a look at this one, which I thought turned out pretty well. It is for a 1910 Hupmobile. These were rough castings and poorly finished when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Smithwick Eastford , CT. on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

The carb I have was restored by Russ Potter
a few years ago and was looking for a dollar
value .
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

I suppose I shouldn't have discounted other restorers of carbs. I just know of the fine work that Stan does. I have heard great things about the work that Russ Potter does. I just have no first hand experience with it.

By the way, that is my Breeze carburetor that Stan posted the picture of. He beat me to it. I was going to post one, but hadn't gotten a picture of it yet. I had hoped to pick it up at Chickasha so I could show it off, but unfortunately Uncle Stan didn't get there this year. I am looking forward to trying it out. I'll bet it will run a good as it looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Daniel, it depends on which version of the 5 ball you have. There are several for Model T are there are differences in the year.

A Russ Potter resto should be worth $1400 - 2000 depending on the exact model and whether you have the spark arrestor for the 1909 model, etc.

Steve, it ran so good on the test engine I was surprised. It should run well trouble free long enough to out last both of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Smithwick Eastford , CT. on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Thanks Stan I will try and narrow down what version I have .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration