AC Speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: AC Speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joao De Sousa on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 08:47 am:

I have an AC Speedometer that the odometer works fine but the speed indicator does not. Can anyone recommend a repair shop in Ontario, Canada?
Cheers, Joao
Tudor 1927

(this is the 2nd time posting....not sure but the 1st one did not work....not sure if I did something wrong. Sorry in advance if this appears twice)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Joao;
Not much can be done to repair the Model T era AC speedometers. The pot metal castings inside swell up and crack. You could pull the case off and take a look inside. The bezel should just push off and there should be two screws in back to take the case off. If the casting is swelling etc there aren't any parts available for replacement made. Your best bet is to find a different speedometer that will work with the drive and cable. I used a more modern speedometer that used the same cable. When I had my AC setup I used something like this one;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AC-90-MPH-Speedometer-30s-40s-Unknown-Applicatio n-/121762379509?hash=item1c599a76f5:g:dmMAAOSwEetV-o09&vxp=mtr
While it does not have a trip odometer on it it seem to do the job. The threads on the back match up to the cable housing and should have the larger square drive. Be sure to check that before you buy one. Other wise you will need to have a new inner cable.
How is the casting at the drive end? They have the same swelling problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joao De Sousa on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Mark,
Thank you I will check and see?
Cheers, JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Functional AC speedos do come up once in a while on Ebay. One is on there right now; auction due to end within two days. this one was it has been tested and is functional. I have bought one on ?Ebay, before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Correction, Ebay auction has ended for this item.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joao De Sousa on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Mark,
You are correct. I have taken it apart and yes the metal is just falling apart.....removing screws just makes everything around it just crack as if it was egg shells.....I will try to find one on ebay..possibly the one you identified.
Thanks again!
Cheers, JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 12:37 am:

Welcome to the forum Joao.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Well RATS.
I haven't been here for a few days and now this.
I would have warned you right off the bat to not touch it as long as the speed part WAS working.
Been there and experienced that with one I got on an ebay auction SAID to have been in working order.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration