Emergency brake handle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Emergency brake handle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

I want to shorten the emergency brake handle for my speedster can I cut and mig weld thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

you can do that if you like, but remember the longer it is the better leverage you have. So if you want to pull it on hard to hold the car on a hill or while crank starting, you will have to pull much harder if you shorten it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Ross,

I don't know how to weld, so I can't answer your question but I have an unsolicited comment. How short are you thinking? Remember, it's an "emergency" brake lever that doubles as a parking brake and a neutral lever. It relies on leverage to be effective as intended, so if you make it too short you'll negatively effect its usefulness.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Hey Henry, I always referred to it at a "parking brake" lever. I never considered it an emergency brake. I guess if the driveline broke it would help a little though.

M.02worth

here we go

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Hey Guys I just want to shorten enough to clear the dash maybe 2" to 3 inches I'm siting a lot lower so I will be pulling strait back instead of reaching down and pulling back. I have juice brakes on the rear so I know I can stop the wheels from turning weather it will stop the car or just the wheels I will see . LOL Thanks Ross

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Yes. Cut and weld or you can also bend to lower it with double bends. Cut down and welded the lever in the gray speedster, worked just fine, you have to have a good forearm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Ross, there may be another way. On my Duncan and Fraser wide body roadster, the wooden dash has a cutout to allow a full height lever to clear under it. Maybe you could do the same.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Allan

My USA built aftermarket body has similar feature of cut-out in the dash to clear your knuckles when pulling on the lever.

But then again, the seat is much higher too, with a low seat, the standard length lever is cumbersome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I put an "S" bend on my speedster shortened it couple inches and brought it back couple inches as well witch make it easier to reach
My last speedster biuld I used the stock cross shaft and made a secondary shaft using a lever from something else

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 04:00 am:

Ross, if you decide to shorten you e-brake handle, make sure you bevel the joint to allow 100% weld penetration. Some years back, there was a discussion about some repro early front axles that had early ends welded on to a later axle. They looked nice, but they just had a narrow weld bead around them, and some of that was ground off. Needless to say, they failed. A weld isn't magic, it needs to be done right! Just a heads up. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Harris on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Thanks guys I just bent mine like Donnie Brown did on his speedster project thanks again Ross

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration