Carb recommendation for 26/27 engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Carb recommendation for 26/27 engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Tried to start my 26/27 engine on a test stand and the Kingston L4 carb will need to be rebuitlt or replaced. As this will be a Model T salad, I'm not putting a priority on restoration accuracy. Just good everyday performance with a minimum of trouble or maintanance.
The L4 has the swivel top, but I will need to come up some way of running the choke from inside the car with a 1915 wood dash.

What carb would you recommend for this set up? Rebuilding a carb is beyond my capabilities, so I would purchase a new carb and send this in as a core or send this in to e rebuilt if it is the best option.

IIt will be a parade vehicle, not a daily driver or touring vehicle. Just start and short hops.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Holley NH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

I second that. Holley NH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Yep, NH. Simple, reliable, and all the parts are readily available. Also very plentiful, so less costly than some others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

If the car has a 26/27 body, the NH should have the universal on the needle shaft. Also the adjustment rod doubles as the choke control. See https://www.modeltford.com/item/6200REBB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

The L4 is a good carburetor. You have nothing to lose by taking it apart. You will be surprised at the simplicity. Clean it with Berrymans chem tool from your local auto supply. This is a liquid in a spray can. Remove the float and float needle. Polish the float needle with fine emery then put it in the seat and lightly tap it. Don't wham it! Reassemble so that when you invert the carburetor the float is parallel with the top of the carburetor. You can make a new gasket for the bowl from cardboard. Put it back on and see if it works. Sometimes the needle will stick and the carburetor will drip gas on the ground. If so tap the carburetor with a hammer.

Most likely you now have a good carburetor. If not you have an education and you can go buy a new one. When it gives trouble later you will know what to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, March 25, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Hi Robert,

While the Holley NH IS a fine carburettor, the Kingston L4 is also good. I have an L4 on my touring and an NH on my coupe and am quite happy with each one.

In regard to operating the choke from the seat of your '15, I would suggest getting a '26-27 carb (L4 or NH) with the swivel top. With the swivel and the rest of the Improved Car setup, you will be able to twist the knob to adjust mixture and pull up on the knob to actuate the ckoke, all through the one hole/slot in the '15 wooden firewall. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Well, it sounds like spending some time on my L4 and determine what condition it is in might be the first step. Then if I decide to go with a rebuilt or new carb, either the L4 or the Holly is the way to go.

I do have the choke rod that goes into the swivel top, but no linkage from the rod to the actual choke plate and spring, but I'm sure I can find those and put something together .

Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

If I purchase a carb rebuild kit with al the parts and gaskets, do they come with instructions? Or is there a guide specific to rebuilding the L4?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:20 am:

That would be the MTFCA Carburetor book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I read another post on the Kingston L4 and some gasket issues and the writer did not have much good to say about this book and it's information on the L4 specifically.
But, it's a start.
I noticed the vendors selling rebuilt L4's for $140 and a rebuild kit for $50, so for the old core and $80, I might think about just getting a rebuilt L4 for my first go round and then looking at rebbuilding it if it needs it down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

There's nothing wrong with running an L4, but my car gets better fuel economy on the NH. The L4 is sitting on a shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

The Kingston is really simple to rebuild and will preform many years trouble free, they are a lot easier to clean and maintain in my opinion. If you have to much throttle shaft wear, a little dental floss will take care of it. Make sure to order the flapper cork extra as they don't come with the kit. Good luck, KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Start with the$1.95 gasket set rather than the $50 rebuild kit. I don't think there is a cork on the L4 flapper . Mine does not have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

The Kingston L4 I took apart (then reassembled and sent to Lang's as a core exchange for a rebuilt L4) had a cork insert in the fitting shown by the red arrow in this pic:

L4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I am still new to model T s but I have put a NH on my 26 in place of the vaporizer and not it cranks very quick and runs great. It was a 100% improvement over the other set up. I am having some manifolds powder coated and I am going to put a NH on my 26 roadster. The previous owner struggled with the vaporizer set up on it too. Just my opinion. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Keith, I am imagining how dental floss could compensate for a worn throttle shaft but could you give some details on how to install it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:49 am:

The L4 on my 27 roadster works very well. I am told it would get better mileage with a vaporizer but I am too lazy to change out the manifold and other stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration