First Time On Road

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First Time On Road
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Finally got the 1924 Roadster on the road. Drove it for about a mile today. I've been working on it since my auction purchase in October 2014. Seems to pull well, though reverse not effective up an incline; seems to be slipping. I'm pleased that it starts easily. I just need practice.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Nice car!

I found the reverse pedal extension sold by the vendors is very helpful in allowing full pressure on the reverse pedal without getting your foot tangled up in the other pedals.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3439EX.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

Reverse takes more pressure to engage as the band is contracting against the rotation of the drum not with the rotation as with the low speed band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim magill on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

That is a nice looking car, Wish my 24 roadster was that far along

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

The reverse pedal extension is a real improvement when using reverse. Especially when you wear size 13 shoes!
As Mark S. stated above it really helps. I bought one for my 21 Touring and after using it I now use them on my 24 Coupe and 19 Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Without the engine running push the reverse pedal down firmly. If it stops about 1" above the floor boards the band is adjusted properly.

Gustav, if you look down into the opening in the hogshead the reverse drum turns counter clockwise so, the band tightens with the rotation of the drum.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Looks great Phil, Congrats. Take your time and enjoy all the idiosyncrasies that come along with your T. But most importantly, have fun while driving and finding them out. :-) Best of luck with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:11 am:

Really, really COOOOL Phil, very nice, you have to be super proud of it, "atta-boy" award.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:28 am:

Phil, is that a turn signal light attached to the top saddle iron? That would be a great place to make sure the driver behind you sees your intentions. Beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:14 am:

Nice job! Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

If you are using Kevlar band linings then correct the band issue immediately. Allowing the reverse band to slip in use WILL cause the most vulnerable of the three drums to break. Tighten the band so it will not slip in use. Be sure it isn't too tight or it can drag when not in use and break the drum.

If you have wooden bands then just adjust them a bit and have fun!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Thanks for the replies. I believe the bands are Kevlar, and I'll check the adjustment. I plan to add turn signal lamps on the top rest brackets, and I got the Fun Projects turn signal switch.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:33 am:

The trick is to wear narrower shoes! Since you have Kevlar bands, be sure to clamp the drum tight, or you are in line for a cracked reverse drum.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration