Help- Front Wheel Bearing Outer Race Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help- Front Wheel Bearing Outer Race Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

I am in sort of time crunch to get my car to get my car to the HCCA Tour. I have rebuilt Wheels from Stutzmans and they left the outer race in place. Any ideas/tricks on how to get them out? Thanks, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

You have to tap them out from the inside with a long punch, there are notches in the hub to fit the punch. David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

On early hubs there is no notch . I made a tool
To catch the edge of the race and drove it out from behind . There is notch exposed.

What condition is the race? If it looks good it would certainly make one more tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Hit the surface of the race with an arc welder and the race will shrink and fall out. I have done this a hundred times and it works like a charm. No risk of splitting the thin outer threaded portion of the hub. You must be careful though to carefully position the welding rod on the center of the race surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

I took a long punch and ground a notch in it to go around that "barrier" so it hits against the race. It severely weakens the punch though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Thanks for the advice. I bent a long punch in a Z shape and was able to drive them out. Not easy but it worked.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration