OT: Weird transmission problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT: Weird transmission problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Nobody so far on the internet are in local car clubs can solve this problem so far. But they aren't the geniuses you guys are.
Here it goes. 1957 Chevy panel truck w/4 speed manual transmission. Go to put in gear, acts like I'm not pressing on clutch petal. Next try starting in gear with clutch depressed, car lurches forward when I hit starter. Here's the weird part, everything is totally normal in reverse.
Please help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Checked your bell housing bolts are tight? Any noises in reverse to indicate thrust bearing might be binding/ catching?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

My uncles car did that when he installed the clutch plate backwards, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Was it working before? Just acquired?
Sudden occurrence? Slow development?
I have had a few weird clutch events over the years. Details matter.
Bought a 3/4 ton pickup about thirty years ago with a four speed. I never could figure out how someone managed to do it (it is supposed to be impossible), but they had somehow assembled the clutch disc in backwards, which made the cushion springs work totally wrong wrong wrong and strange.
That is just one example of something that could cause some of your symptoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Don L! You type faster than I do!
What kind of vehicle was his?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I have a 1949 Chevy half-ton daily driver and had the same problem. Three on the tree, but everything is similar. I had to adjust the pedal to 3/4 to one pedal play and held the pedal in place with a piece of wood against the seat. Crawled under loosened the check nut at the clutch fork. Then turned the adjusting nut. Did this several times and almost ran out of thread before the clutch worked correctly. Had several truck guys tell me that "sometimes that's how it works." It adjusts the same way as the T tranny does. Also check to see if you have enough 90 weight oil in the tranny. Check to see if the tranney is bolted tight to the bell housing and the tranney is bolted tight to the transmission arm. These suggestions are from the Chevrolet shop manual and have helped me and I hope they help you as well.

Joe R. Independence, Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Also check engine mounts. Anything that can cause the input shaft to bind on the plate. Sometimes lack of synchro will align where synchro will baulk, hence reverse picks up, if that makes sense

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

I forgot, there's a grease fitting on the clutch shaft, at least on my '49, and you want to keep it greased. This fitting is also shown in the shop manual.

Joe R. Independence, Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

It worked perfectly for the first few months that I owned it, parked it for about a week and this happened. In reverse, the clutch reacts perfectly, in forward gears it's like I'm not even pressing clutch pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

No unusual noise in reverse. I remember the ignition switch went bad so I had to put vehicle in 4th and step on the brake and release the clutch to stop engine. Fixed that problem (new ignition switch). New problem started on next startup attempt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Try rocking the truck back and forth in gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

You may want to check the shift fingers and the bushing on the output shaft of the tranney. Again, check you oil and use 90 wt.

Joe R. Independence, Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Thanks for all the feedback, I will try your suggestions tommorow. I will let y'all know the results

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I've run across a few transmissions where the input shaft is stuck in the pilot bearing. That is especially common with needle bearing pilot bearings that have fallen apart due to no grease, and jamb the input shaft and essentially lock it to the flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

If the pilot shaft was stuck in the bearing, wouldn't it also grind in reverse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Re reading your latest posts I would be looking at the possibility of a loose or bent selector too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:56 am:

The other possibility is you have bent the mainshaft. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought never stall in direct was the rule. Lower gear and very gently was what my Dad used to say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Here is my thinking. With the clutch pedal depressed , the input shaft stops rotating so I can put it in reverse. Shouldn't it also stop rotating to put it into a forward gear ? What am I getting wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Others with more knowledge can chime in here and I stand to be corrected but the way I see it is as follows.
When stalling in top gear (direct) reverse is Not involved.
Your idler gears/ ley shaft are but by stalling in direct all the force is being directed to the input shaft. A violent stall with foot on the brake is transmitting a lot of force into the shaft.
Not well explained I know. Hopefully someone else can explain it better.
The new information negates my earlier thoughts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

On the three on the tree,low and reverse are not synchronized. Second and third are. In the four speed, second, third and fourth are synchronized. All gears are helical cut, except first and reverse on both the three and four speed tranneys.

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Sounds to me like the pilot bearing. Why is it different in reverse, because the Trans input shaft is moving further into the pilot bearing and binding up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

I should have mentioned bad synhcros or the wrong oil or even water in the oil.
Also some of those older transmissions had no synchro on the reverse gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Why would the input shaft move further into the pilot bearing when not in reverse? Also, want to thank everyone for your input, much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Would like to say you guys offered more helpful information than anywhere I've been. Y'all are truly the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent C Leblanc on Friday, May 06, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Got in vehicle today. Changed flat tire. Cranked up engine. Trans went into all gears and drove perfectly. It makes no sense at all but I'm happy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration