Spare Tire Carrier Conversion 30" to 21"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spare Tire Carrier Conversion 30" to 21"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I have a 23 touring with a spare carrier mounted to the frame on the rear of the car. It is for a 30" tire. My car has 21" tires. Who has modified the carrier for a 21" tire? I think I saw a picture some time ago but I can't find it. I'm sure I'm not the first with this problem. Pictures would help so I can build one.

Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Conklin on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I think the only thing you could do short of finding the correct carrier would be to mount a junk 30" rim in the carrier. Then fabricate tabs that could be welded to the junk rim that would accomodate the 21" rim. The spare tire will stick out farther than than before

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Would be easier to get the #2849E bracket (1925) for your touring, adv. for one on the Classifies, and swap or sell your 30" for the 21" version.

Finding only the hoop for the 21" or parts might be hard to do, and then labor in re-riveting the hoop to the arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:15 am:

The 21" carrier is almost identical to the 30x3 1/2 carrier, but they are different. If you study them, you will see the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Michael, I think I might have a spare 21 inch carrier, I'll look. I know for sure that I have a pair of arms for the 21 inch that I got at Hershey last year and then discovered that I don't need them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I think I'll start looking for a 21 inch that will fit my car. I really don't want to destroy a good carrier anyway. Any suggestions on where to find one ? I understand that there is a later carrier that mounts to the rear spring mounting bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Thanks Dale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Michael

The '26-'27 touring/sedan carrier mounts under the rear spring clip. That can be an alternative, just not year correct. The gooseneck mount holds a wire wheel, but with available 'Y' brackets, in both 30" and 21" you can mount a rim and tire.

Fits to a '23-'25 touring OK. But you have to figure out tail lamp mounts, as the '26-'27 cars had fender mounted tail lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

I switched a 20 touring over 21 in tires a few years ago , I don't have good picture of what I did but I will show you what I have. I reconfigured the stock carrier to fit the 21's. If I remember right I cut the top of the carrier and over lapped and bolted it and bent the lower sides to take up the extra length, it could be put back to stock if you wanted too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I found the correct 2849E carrier at Model T Haven. I can't wait until I get it in the mail! Thanks to all for the input. I enjoyed the discussion.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration