A neat homemade accessory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A neat homemade accessory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:42 am:

It's good to shut off the gas when you're not using a T. The usual way of avoiding having to crawl under the car is to put a shut-off valve near the carburetor. But I saw this today on a TT.

This linkage to the sediment bulb valve is made from a piece of pipe.

The handle is just a bend at the other end. It's under the edge of the C cab. You don't have to crawl to reach it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:51 am:

Great idea, somebody was thinking! I see it also has a "farmer" cotter key!:-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Thanks Steve. My sediment bulb sometimes leaks if I don't shut it off, so the shut-off by the carb doesn't really help (and the car's in a storage unit where the fumes might build up).
Can't do it tomorrow, but Monday I'm doing the above so I don't have to crawl under the '17 touring any more!
My back is going to be much happier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:02 am:

That's pretty cool.

Now I'll have to figure out how to rig that up on my 27 - I guess it'll be poking out through the radiator fins! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:24 am:

Steve,

Thanks for sharing. Not factory -- but a great idea.

I've looked at a few accessory advertisements but I don't recall seeing an accessory to do that one. Has anyone else seen one?

I would think it would have been a popular accessory back then. Getting down to turn off the gas while parked on a dirt driveway or garage floor would have been a dirtier job back then than today with our concrete driveways and garage floors (ok some folks still have dirt but most homes in the city they are paved).

And of course some of us do not get down and then back up as quick as we once did.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Eric, this one is under the driver's side of the cab, behind that short TT running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Similar set up utilizing a stove handle on an unrestored 1925 coupe owned by Bob Peterson in Minnesota. I wish I had taken photos under the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration