Tire shelf life

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tire shelf life
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:09 am:

How long would a tire, left in its original wrapper, last if left in storage.
Have an offer to buy a set of tires but they are 10 years old. I would say they would be ok but thought I would check with you guys to see if there would be any problems.
I think they were in climate controlled storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Several news articles about checking the manufacture date on tires for regular vehicles. The sort of "scam" was tire dealers selling "new" tires that had set on the shelf for several years, and the bottom line was that a tire has about a 5-7 year life, without regard to tread condition or if it was on a vehicle or sitting on the shelf.

The money you might save wouldn't pay for the ambulance ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Robbie...if this is any help, on our '94 Thunderbird, which has always been garaged, albeit not climate controlled, I have had to change the tires pretty much every 6-8 years, even without being in much sunlight, the sidewalls especially start to show some aging. Like Michael Thomas just said, not worth the risk. This car has only 66K miles on it, and actually, come next year, it'll be getting its fourth set of tires. Kills me tossing tires with great tread...but occasionally I do like to take her out and stretch her legs....at about 90 mph!! Can't chance 'em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 11:35 am:

It depends on the tire and the application. If you were talking about a modern tubeless tire, I would not recommend installing anything older than four years. If you were talking about an older tubed tire, you could really use those up to any reasonable amount of time that you deem safe. Factors to consider include, whether the tires were stored in direct sunlight at any time and or if they were exposed to conditions that would shorten the life of the tire.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

The tires that are on my T are the same ones that were on it when it was put into storage in 1964.

One went flat so I replaced the tube. It is now the only one that I have to add air to every few months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

I have a set of NOS Wards Riverside 30 x 30 1/2 that are going on my speedster if I ever get it done. They are US made, probably at least 30 years old, have been stored inside. I trust them more than any of the new VietNam ones I've seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

I think that tires with nylon casings will last a lot longer than conventional, but how much longer I'm not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Depends on how they were stored
How soft is the rubber

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 01:03 am:

I have a similar story like what Stan Howe has posted. My 29 model A roadster P/U has a set of Wards Riverside tires that are US made and probably at least 30 years old. They also were stored inside before being put on the model A 15 years ago. Except when driven, the model A is kept in a dark garage. The tires look like new...no sign of cracking or any age damage. The Wards Riverside tires look in better condition that a two year old set tires that are on my model T. Why can't we buy new tires made like the old Wards Riverside tires???

Other than these tires, I do not use any tires on my other vehicles older than 7 years. I replace my car trailer tires before they are 4 years old no matter how good they look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 05:19 am:

Les,perhaps the answer to your question "Why can't we buy new tyres made like the old Wards Riverside tires?" lies in the vendors not specifying that that's what is needed. I am sure they could still be made, but, by producing an inferior product, they can make more sales. We need competition in the market place to make it happen.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:29 am:

The Dunlops I just took off the rear of my car are date coded 1966. No sidewall cracking but tread depth is below legal limit. Ditto the Wards that came with the car when I bought it 37 yrs ago, they must date to the 50s, they've been sitting in the roof for years.

The Vietnamese Wards I just bought were a nightmare to fit, beads really tight fit into the rim and the diameter 1/2 inch smaller than the Dunlops,had to use all kinds of instruments of torture to do the job. At least they won't spin round and decapitate the valve! First quick run down the lane they seemed noisy. Going on Neil Tuckett's April Fools event next weekend, we'll see how they feel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Some time ago, I posted that I thought the sidewall cracking issue had finally gone away. I was wrong. I took the car out yesterday and the Wards tires I bought in 2014 are all cracked in the usual fashion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

I just finished a carefully inspection of all 5 (Including The Spare) Wards Riverside tires for my model A and can NOT find any cracking on the sidewalls or any where else. They look brand new! The code number on the side walls is 184161. Also, all of them are marked made in USA.
Until the tires were put on the model A 15 years ago, they were wrapped in the original wrapping and were previously stored inside away from any sun light.
I'm very happy that they are in such good condition.....however, I am very unhappy that we can not buy a tire today that is comparable to the old Wards Riverside brand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:40 am:

I was talking with a T friend last night, and he has two New Zealand Firestones that have shrunk to the point that they cannot be mounted on the rim, 30X3's. Never heard of that before. I bought a set of those way back when Lucas was selling them, and have since worn them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Even when the New Zealand Firestones were brand new, they were difficult to get onto the clincher rims. I remember a friend recommended putting them over a 1970s collapsible spare tire to help stretch them before mounting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

When it comes to clinchers, I'd trust a 50 year old tire more than I'd trust a brand new one.

I don't think a 10 year old tire is old enough to be any better quality than a new one though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

Got a set of NOS straight rib universals on our original 1915 they are 20 years old no checking to be seen on them they look same as new I doubt we'll ever wear them out... I had 4 Firestone Non Skid sold 2 to John Tannhill been on a shelf for over 10 yrs. still in the wrapper when I got them I opened them up looked new...! If the price is right I'd grab them, if they are white tires run..!
My new set of white's turned to brown and cracked with in 4 months, Rusty put a set of whites on a 1917 they are terrible looking now not worth the money spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:29 am:

I've got probably twenty new, unmounted 21" tires dating back to the sixties in manufacture date. Most are out of their original wrappers and are stored in a dark warehouse. I hope they are still usable when I need them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration