Bad Ford design

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bad Ford design
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I have no gripe about most things on a Model T. There are very few parts of it I dislike. But I found a real stinker yesterday. Helping a neighbor work on a TT we found removing and installing coils the job from Hell. The coil box in the C cab is so close to the vent apparatus that getting them out, especially if they're tight in the box, is a miserable ordeal. I wonder if there's an easy way to lift coils out of the box when they're in tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

In a case like this, I would think it would be worthwhile to bite the bullet and disconnect the primary and secondary wiring, then remove the coil box as a unit and work on it on the bench. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Steve
The only thing I have found that helps is to grab hold of the two upper point collars and pull straight up only till the coil can be tilted back to clear the cowl area. You may first find one of the coils easier to remove and then the the rest become easier. Sometimes even that won't work and in that case Marks suggestion is best. Removing the nine timer/spark plug wires and four coilbox mounting bolts is easy. At that point you get at least get the coilbox to the bench where it is easier to work on. Sometimes even then the coils can be difficult to remove.
After you DO get the coils removed from the coilbox, clean the inside of the coilbox, wipe the side and bottom of the coils wood cases down with lacquer thinner on a rag and let them fully dry. Finally generously rub a block of canning paraffin on the sides of the coil wood boxes. This will help make them much easier to install and remove in the future.
The Paraffin trick usually work best.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

If your neighbor is not fussy about being completely stock, you could install a 26-27 coil box under the hood for easier access to the coils.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Steve,

I took my TT out for the first time last weekend. About halfway through the journey, I really lost
power and limped it along until ducking over to Hutch's place to get a second opinion. Hutch
wanted to swap out my rebuilt coils for a fresh set he had on his bench. Mine were tough to get
out - as you explain - but his were so tight that I will have to remove the coil box and get it on a
bench to get them out.

Were that box even a half inch lower from the vent, it would be plenty of clearance to pop those
coils in and out. Are the cars NOT this same super-tight clearance on the coil box to vent ???

IMO, Ford's bad design was more of an aesthetic thing that began when the company gave up
making basic cars (black Model T's) and began "putting lipstick" on what was still a very basic car.
I will deal with the TT coil box. Overall, it's a rough riding, glorified go-cart. But it has a charm
like few other vehicles do. The coil box is just a small annoyance. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

I don't know about the TT cab and its specific placement of the vent handle. But several Ts with cramped spaces under the cowls, including a few other vent handles, have a "secret order". One end or the other will tip just enough to slip out. Once that end one is out, the one next to it can slide sideways and come right out. After those two are out, the one on the other side of the center strap can tip sideways just enough to slip out. The last one will usually then tip enough to come right out in spite of something directly over it.
They go back in in reverse order.

I did run into one fellow once with a similar problem. His solution was to cut the center strap, and distort the box enough to pull the two center ones back enough to clear what was blocking them going up. I figured that would eventually cause loose connection problems, although he said it hadn't so far (the lid held things together fairly well). Just for kicks, I tried my way and it worked in his car. He said "You couldn't show me that before I cut the d### thing? Could Ya?" (Joking I think?)

Just a thought, and a reminisce from me.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Maybe a "push" hole drilled on one end or the other of the box to start one coil from the bottom might help? I recall our 24 Tudor being difficult, but your TT sounds even worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Wayne is correct. We found that you have to remove #1 and #4 first, lifting their tops up inside the vent and then tilting the bottoms out past the top of the box. Once those are out of the way, you can move #2 and #3 sideways enough to miss the vent brace.

I'll tell Dieter about the paraffin idea. He's been a mechanic for decades, but this TT is giving him a tough time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

I have do the same way even though I don't have any dash but when I changed over to fun prodject coil box set my box got alot tighter
1 and 4 then 2 and 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:51 am:

I may be wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do w/the age of the wood box of the coils and the wood in the coil box, I think the wood has swelled w/age making the fit a lot tighter than it was originally.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration