Remagnitize magnetto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Remagnitize magnetto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rfbuff on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

What's is the best way to re magnetize magnetto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

If best means strongest charge, it's one magnet at a time with all of them off the flywheel. If best means easiest, it's with an in-car charge. I've read that the latter gives you about 60% of a full charge. There are a couple of in-between methods with the engine/transmission out of the car but the magnets still on the flywheel. How thorough do you want to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

If it where my car I would remove the engine and recharge the magnets individually. You can charge the magnets in the car but, there is a possibility of damaging the filed coil.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

This works really well:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Here's a Youtube video showing the procedure that Royce shows in the diagram:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz4MlgH8K2U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Found this and I don't remember where I found it . Seems like an interesting alternative way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTv8JNz_Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzQJLGtJV9o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTv8JNz_Mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzQJLGtJV9o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

In 2010, I charged my magnets in the car with the hogshead off. My magnets were so week that that is the only way I could be sure of finding the N & S magnets using a compass because I could get no compass reading through the hogshead.

Before charging my magnets using this method, I spent many hours on the forum asking questions and compiling information from the best Model T minds of the time and came up with what I thought was the best in-car method, utilizing all of the information I compiled. Here it is 6 years later and my magnets are still as strong as they ever were providing plenty of voltage to the car. I can even start the car on mag. The below thread from 2010 documents what I did with fabulous results. As is normal for various procedures proposed on the Forum, many may criticize the method, or say this or that is not necessary, such as the 8 momentary zaps (32 quick contacts, in all) at the four 90 degree points of the transmission (four 1/4 turns of the transmission), but all I know is it worked for me and I would not change a thing. Jim Patrick.

PS. I believe that 8 quick zaps each at four 90 degree points is to allow for variations or inconsistencies in magnet to mag coil gaps. If you were to just pick one point to make all your zaps, and the gap were too big, you may not get the maximum charge to all the magnets all around, but in doing it at four points, you get a good average gap spread that distributes the charge to all the magnets equally.

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/159978.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Rfbuff. Keep us posted on whether it was successful, or not. Good luck. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Royce's method worked for me, my car would barely run on Mag, but after recharging it will start on Mag even cold. There is a bit more to it than what Royce's post shows, some of the links posted should give full instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

One thing some instructions mention is holding the contact for seconds. Do Not Do That. You risk destroying your field coil. A short zap - my reflex broke the contact quickly - is enough. Jim's rotate and re-zap should hurt anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Yes Thomas. All that is needed is 8 quick taps at each location which produces a bright flash. Would be a good idea to wear safety glasses and not look right at the zap. It would be like looking at a welding arc.

Thomas. In your last sentence did you mean to say "Jim's rotate and re-zap shouldn't hurt anything"? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:26 am:

Royce, that drawing has a slight error. The 1 3/4th inch arrow from the center of the Mag post should go to the center of the compass or the needle pivot point.

A larger compass case will throw your charge out of the ball park.

Been there, done that, learned the hard way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:25 am:

James A. G.
You are right !!!
Toon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration