Electrical issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Electrical issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I am having electrical issues, last weekend I was driving my TT truck and I stopped to talk to someone. I shut my truck off and now it will not start. I could turn over my engine with the starter but the coils would not buzz. I had to tow my truck home, and now nothing will work, no horn, no coils buzzing nothing. I checked my ground wire off the battery and re-mounted it. I bypassed my wire coming off the positive side a of the battery terminal to see if it was the wire. I checked continuity of all my wires, nothing. I even replaced the battery. I have looked at electrical drawings and check and double checked. I don't know what I am missing, can anyone give me some insight? I looked at my key switch it looks ok, but that was the last thing I touched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

Do you have a fuse in the main yellow feed wire? Ts and TTs didn't come with one, but many folks add one as a safety feature. If one is there, maybe it has blown.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

No fuse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

What is strange also, if i touch my positive wire from my battery to the starter cable the starter does not turn over, shouldn't it turn ? I was wondering if it was a grounding issue, but like I said I checked the ground wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Set your brake. Turn the key on and check the coilbox for B+. If not then find out why. If you have B+ on the box then check the timer and wires for signs of a problem. Just be careful and keep whatever amount of fingers you have out of the fan area in case the beast decides to start on you. Personally, Id' suspect your ignition switch.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Antonino on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

What is B+ ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Sounds to me like the ignition switch. My original switch on my 1919 Runabout does the same thing. Turn the switch to battery and slowly jiggle the switch. If its in the switch the coils should begin to buzz. Try it different positions when you crank the engine.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Could be a combination of problems that just happened at the same time.
1. Bad switch.
2. Bad battery ground.
3. Stuck cutout.
4. And now, a dead battery.

B+ means battery voltage.

You should have near battery voltage on terminal 1 of the terminal block all the time. Check that first. If not, your battery is dead or the connections are bad--Check and clean the battery posts and connectors. Check the battery voltage ON THE BATTERY POSTS.

Perform those checks and post the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard R. Andrus on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

HI, those ideas are very possible and more likely than my idea. The buss in the coil box came apart from always checking the terminal connections so I had to take the coil box out and re solder the bus where the metal strips touch the coils.
It's pretty easy, just divide and conquer the schematic. You'll get it! Just take it slow and methodical. HOWARD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

A bit of clarity. B+ is another way of stating the positive (+) terminal of the battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

You say the starter won't even turn. If you can turn the engine with the hand crank, the starter is not locked up. One problem not addressed above is a poor ground from the chassis to the drive train. You can place a ground strap between one of the bolts which hold the crankcase to the engine close to the starter and run it to the frame Maybe where the parking brake lever bolts to the chassis. Be sure both locations are free from rust or paint. Then do the same for the end of the ground cable where it is connected to the chassis near the battery. must have clean connections. Now if your batter is good and is charged and the starter and starter switch are good your starter should turn. Also the coils should buzz. Also check the ends of your positive battery cable for corrosion. Sometimes the terminal at the end of the cable does not make a good contact with the cable itself because of corrosion.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Norman is on to the thing I was thinking when you mentioned connecting the starter directly from the battery and not getting the starter to work. If your frame ground, batt. & batt. cable connections are OK and it won't crank with a direct connection plus cable connection the engine might not be grounded. In other words an open circuit. Easy enough to check: run a wire from the eng. to the frame and try to crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Sorry for your not understanding my B+ reference ... comes from a past career (thankfully now just useless memories).

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Or maybe, like I just found after much searching and cleaning all connections, the new rebuilt starter had the battery post twisted off the soldered connection inside, that's a poor idea not having a solid mount for the post, not fun to fix. It has a double nut on it now that can be held while tightening the battery cable nut. I know that doesn't sound like your problem but then I don't know how your car is wired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

One of the first things to check is for good connections at the battery. A "dead battery" in my truck turned out to be a loose battery terminal. The bolt wast tight, but that didn't close the clamp tight enough to get a firm grip on the post. I removed the bolt and filed off some material from the clamp to let it close farther. When I put the bolt back in and tightened it, my dead battery was alive again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration