Clincher Rim Problem - Need Advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clincher Rim Problem - Need Advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Last week, I purchased a set of four rebuilt wood clincher wheels from a seller on eBay. When I opened the boxes today, I noticed that on the underside of the bead there were two cracks. One of the cracks was poorly repaired and you can see light through it (not fully welded up). One the other, it is only visible from the inside.

Attached are some photos of the cracked areas, and the one repaired section.

Do these repairs create any concern about the ultimate safety of the wheel? My family will be riding in the car this wheel is going on. (The actual woodwork is good and the hub looks okay except for the hubcap area.)

I will sit back and listen. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Best regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Here is a photo of the repaired section from the outside of the rim. You can see light through the crack in the repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Here is a photo of the second crack, which is longer but does not appear to have gone through to the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

JMHO,but he'd be getting those back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

First of all for what i can see, that clinch looks too ragged to put a tire on without cutting the tire. I wouldn't use it. It is junk.
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Jack;
U beat me to it by 2 minutes.
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

I'd be inclined to open those cracks with a small grinder and weld them with a small tip. But I'm more concerned with the rim edges. Are they rusted sharp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Steve, the rim is not rusty. However it does show a lot of use and is wavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

I vote with Jack. Those rims look like junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Agree. Those look like poo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

No, I don't mean rusty. I said rusted sharp. Removing the rust doesn't make sharp rims any less sharp and stop them from chewing up your tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Thanks guys. That is what I was afraid of. I will pursue a claim with the seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Mike

Those rims are rusty, you can see the big flake divots under that thick gray primer paint hiding the flaws.

Concern is the strength of those rims, and they can create a serious condition.

Rust out rim, edge too thin.

Good rim, clincher edge is correct 1/8" thick (.125") and with smooth radius.

Rusted out rim failure reported on the Forum last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

If you have a good wire feed or tig welder you can repair the rims where they are rusted sharp. However for the cost of new rims the repair is not worth the time. check with McLaren in Michigan.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Mike your instincts were right. I would be afraid to inflate a tire on those rims. Whats worse is the repairs seem to have been done with Bondo!

Not only is the seller being unethical he has knowingly sold you an unsafe product!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I prefer using a wire feed welder to make repairs like this. Using a wire feed welder you are able to keep the rim cool by making short welds vice gas welding. I have carefully repaired sections of rims with sharp edges using wire feed. Take 3/8" soft copper tubing and shape it to fit inside the rim edge. Clamped in position, you can carefully build up the rim edge with short welds using the copper as back up. The copper prevents burn thru and helps in cooling. The weld does not stick to copper. I have also used copper as weld back up when making spot welds when replacing body panels. Using copper as a weld back up saves a lot of work minimizing the need for excessive grinding on the back side doing weld repairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 01:10 am:

From here it looks like someone tried to dress up the edges of the rims with a grinder, hence, the waviness. They are also rusted badly in the bead area, that's why they cracked in the first place. As said, they're junk. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:14 am:

I would not weld up cracked rims like that because other areas will crack--even if the rim edge is good, which these are NOT.
Too dangerous to risk it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Such a pity Mike, for someone to re spoke a set of wheels into what are clearly a compromised set of rims. Good pick up on the poor repairs and cracks. Thanks for sharing as it is a good safety reminder to all to check for bad rims. All the best for a good result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Mike,

For what it's worth, I'll add my thoughts that those rims are junk. The photos seem to show heavily pitted rims with lots of bondo, or some other filler, on the outer surface to make them look good. The appearance of the rim edges seem to bear this out. I would NEVER use a cracked rim, even if I weld repaired the cracks. If it were so compromised that it cracked in the areas you're seeing, how soon will other sections crack as well when you use them?

Take this up with the seller and/or eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I agree that the rims need to be replaced. Two problems exist. You need between 50 and 60 psi on the tires. That pressure alone could cause the rims to open up. Also the pressure of turning corners will be transmitted to the rims. Beside the opening of the cracks, the possibility of cutting the bead of the tire is very great. The cost of one new tire would pay for a better rim. I would either take the wheels back and ask for better rims, or if you cannot take them back, purchase a better rim and press out the spokes from your bad rims and press into the good rim.

Beside the cost of a new tire if yours blows out, you could add the possibility of rolling the car, and injuries to yourself and passengers.

It's just not worth it to try to use those cracked rims.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

Gentlemen - Thank you so much for the feedback.

Norman - Those are excellent points.

The seller has agreed to replace the wheel with another one that will be fully inspected before sending it out.

Best regards,
Mike Hanson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

You're lucky you bought from an honest seller and didn't have to go through a bunch of rigmarole to set things right....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

They don't look safe to me! Safety comes first even at 35mph. I have bought some good deals on eBay from ebayers. Also bought some trash but most sellers with good feedback can be be trusted. Just my thoughts Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

As an update, I received the replacement wheel from the seller and it is in excellent condition. The seller stood behind his product and agreed that the rim on the first wheel was not usable. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Glad to hear it worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Yes, thank you for the update.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration