Greasing the front wheel bearings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Greasing the front wheel bearings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:12 am:

I had the boy greasing the front wheel bearings on the 24 today. He loves to get his hands in grease. By the time he was done, its hard to say if their was more grease on the wheel bearing or him! Grammy had to do a major clean up, hands, face, and clothes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:16 am:

When can he fit me in his schedule so I can put it on my calendar. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Nuthin like a kid who likes to get his hands dirty! He'll go far in this world for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:12 am:

When i was in the Army i packed a lot of bearings with grease in the palm of my hand just as he is doing!! There was a time when Uncle Sam wanted all wheel bearings pulled and packed on a [S] service even if they were full floating with oil?? No telling what they do now as it has been over 50 years! I pack/grease my T wheel bearings with the grease cup's provided as when built. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Mom once told me that when I was a toddler I hated yo get dirty. But a couple of years later I came in from play one day quite a filthy mess. When she commented on how dirty I was, I told her, "You can't have any fun without getting a little dirty." Words to live by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

Dennis, I asked the boy if he would work on your car, he said he would. I think you will have to wait a few years though LOL...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Dan,

I can wait a couple of years if he will lock me into his current shop rate. I think the going rate for him now would be 50 lollypops per hour. When he gets older he'll need dating money and that can be rather expensive at $150 per hour. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

A plastic sandwich bag with grease and the bearing inside is much cleaner but not as much fun.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Also, on the upside, he'll have the softest hands in the county....... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:16 pm:

Bud, I spent the first couple months overseas breaking tire beads, changing brake shoes, hydrovacs and starters, and packing wheel bearings on 5 ton 6X6's. I went out to an LZ on a Huey one day to do a wheel bearing on a 5 ton with a quad 50 on it. When we came in, the LZ was hot. The door gunner was swinging back and forth coming down onto the LZ and just burning through the ammo for that m-60. At about an altitude of 10 ft the pilot yelled for me to get out of his chopper and me and about 150 pound tool box headed for the dirt. I hit the ground at close to Mach-2 and pretty much bounced over to the closest bunker. After a couple minutes things started to cool down and I went out to pack and change the wheel bearing on the truck. I no sooner got the truck in the air, the axles pulled and the wheel bearing out and the crew on the quad-50 got a direct fire mission. I ended up throwing a couple big chunks of wood under the rear axle to shore the darn thing up when they lit up the hill. I headed back into the bunker and waited to finish packing the bearing and putting the duals back on the truck. It was 3 days before I could get off that d_mn hill. Now every time I pack a wheel bearing or even just looking at the kid packing one, those good time memories come back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

My son always helped me with my old cars when he was young but now he is nearing 30, he says he doesn't like working on model Ts or A s. He is always up for a ride!! I always thought he would like the hobby. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Michael,Hydrovac now there is a word i haven't seen in years!! I can't think of anything worse to put on a truck with air!! We used to use a grease board to pull the dualls as a unit. I was very lucky and have never seen combat!I think that the idea of a plastic bag and gloves would be smart because grease might cause cancer?? Did anyone hear from Jack as to how he is doing?? Radiation and chemo are not much fun! Still lucky the new 5 ton multi fules were just getting there as i was leaving so there was not much to do on them! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Geez Bud, when I went up North I think I was driving the only 5 ton multi-fuel that was built during the First World War. :-) The thing should have been retrograded 5 years before I got it. It was embarrassing when they'd hit the trucks around me with ak-47's, RPG's, and .51 caliber fire, then they'd run beside me laughing and throwing rocks at me. I got hit on the cheek bone once with a rock. I told the CO and his response was mine would be the only Purple Heart that got handed out for getting hit with a chunk of granite. The other guys in the unit always asked me to leave ten minutes after them. They said I was an embarrassment to the rest of the convoy. In Hanoi they called me "Wrong Way Corrigan".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Okay, so someone got ahold of me and asked if I'd actually been in Hanoi. The answer is a resounding no. I apologize for anyone I may have mislead with my stupid attempt at humor.

My truck truly was an old worn out pile of junk but I always ran with the convoy and ended up in the crap just like everybody else. The story about the Rock was true. The part about the Purple Heart wasn't. I was cut up from being hit with a baseball size rock but I was to embarrassed to tell anyone what happened. I don't remember what I told them when they asked about the bruises and cuts. Probably something like being so "short" in country I tripped on my boot lace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Tim,you never can tell how they will go. Back in the late 60's I lived in the city. In the neighborhood an eight year old kid started hanging around when I was working on my old cars. When I opened a body shop he would ride his bike there, at 12 I was paying him to work on cars. He still works on them now in his own business. With the boy I don't know how that will play out,now he loves it. He has figured out how to phone me and calls every day and asks me what I am doing on the T and ends the conversation by telling me to get back to work on the T. When he is here I give him actual jobs to do on it so he won't be bored just watching.and sometimes he wants me to wait for him to come out to do a job he wants to do. Greasing the wheel bearings was one of these jobs. It has taken longer to do this car doing this but I think it's worth it. He may or may not stay interested,time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Pull up his sleeves for cryn' out loud! LOL. Real hand packing like like the Boy is doing is a disappearing art but you can't beat it for loading a bearing with lube. I use the "Red" too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

I figure the boy is good for about 3,000 miles. Unless he plays in dusty conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Dan - If your grandson begins to show signs of disinterest in greasing wheel bearings and such, you can always switching to blue grease just for a change,......harold.....( ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Enjoy him while you can. At 16 he will catch fume disease.

Car fumes and perfumes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Robert- the boy might be good for more than 3000 miles. By the time I got everything out, he already had the grease, had it all over his hands and was rubbing it in like hand lotion. He loves grease. I had to wipe his hands down before he could actually start. He tells me he doesn't like girls, but the other day when I dropped him off to preschool, he was standing in back of me peeking around my legs at a cute little girl that was peeking around her dads legs at him. I guess it starts at 4 years old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

I guess some wheels you don't need to grease!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Another way to get it done, but not as much fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

That's too cool!
You have one of those handy little greasers but let your handy little greaser do it instead. You've got good help. :-)
I have a chance with perhaps one of my grandsons. He's a machine nut and loves all machines at 4. Not ready to do anything yet tho, too much "zing" in his noggin' but he sure settles down at the train bench.
Got lucky with my now 33 year old son, he's a good wrench and loves his '68 Catalina rag top.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration