Lowering Rear Without Major Modification?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Lowering Rear Without Major Modification?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James H Hall on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Picked up a nice 26 running chassis about a year ago with plans to build a simple speedster with my daughter. After finding the forum and looking at some other cars out there I decided to find a usable roadster body to build a simple fenderless "gowjob" instead. We are making good progress, but I have a question about lowering the rear. We have a total drop of 3 1/2" in the front achieved with a Langs's dropped axle and a reverse-eye spring. Looks great and easily put back to stock should we ever decide to go that route. However, I am not having much luck coming up with something as simple for the rear - I know I can get an inch or a little more from a reverse-eye spring, but is there a satisfactory way to gain another 1-1 1/2" without resorting to relocating the axle or Z-ing the frame? Is it a bad idea to bend the ends of the bottom leaf as I have seen in some threads? I really hate to do anything too involved or not easily restored to keep with the spirit of the project. Many thanks for all of the help so far!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Here's some reading for you James.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/187392.html

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Here's the one I was looking for from Clayton Paddison:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/83793.html

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

You can just use the main spring leaf the vendors sell with the reverse eye to lower the rear a couple of inches. That is all I did and it is fine for me. I also used '27 front spindles to get a corresponding front end drop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration