Safety Wiring the Oil Plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Safety Wiring the Oil Plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

Because I was dumb enough to strip the threads on my oil-pan/crankcase plug, my intent is not to tighten the replacement anywhere near as much as has been my habit.

On the other hand, the possibility of the plug vibrating loose and depositing a gallon of oil on somebody's street now becomes a concern. _I was just about to drill a hole across the hex part of the plug to safety-wire it so the darned thing won't unscrew itself, but don't want to accidentally degauss the magnetic feature by drilling. _Is that a realistic possibility or should I just drill, baby, drill?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Just wrap the wire around the hex head and attach it to whatever you're going to attach it to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Drill it. I've done a few to prep motorcycles for track use. Didn't hurt the magnets in the drain plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:44 am:

There is no way you could effect the magnets by drilling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Have you considered replacing the plug with a plug repair kit like Snyder's sells? T-3080-RK If your car is a show car, this won't be your fix; but if the car isn't judged, not many people are going to look at your pan to see if you've got the correct plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

When I was young and strong I used to strip the threads on oil pans because I was afraid they would back out unless they were socked down tight. I finally got smart and cut the open end wrench in half. Now I can put all the pressure I want without getting enough leverage to strip the plug out. I feet good because I could crank on the shortened wrench giving it all I had and I never lost a plug or stripped one out after I made that adjustment. Unfortunately, now that I am no longer young or strong I need to go back to a longer wrench!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

The cork in a bottle of wine should work. After you drink it you get a new plug and won't care if it falls out and perhaps you'll keep pulling the cork out so you can get another bottle for another replacement plug and of course you loose that plug and ...well I think you see where I'm going with this.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration