Strange Ricardo Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Strange Ricardo Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-RICARDO-PERFORMANCE-HEAD-SPEEDSTER-RAT-ROD- /351690291524?hash=item51e25ff944:g:NtsAAOSwxcRW-bRQ&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Ed you beat me to it. I was getting ready to post it .:-) :-). It is strange ... do not think it is for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Definitely NOT for a model T Ford. I had read that Ricardo heads were offered for several other makes of cars and industrial engines. This could well be an industrial/marine motor exclusively.
14.5 inch is pretty short for a four cylinder motor. Could maybe be for a Whippet, but I think even they are a bit longer than that.
Just another bit of history.
Someone should have kept the entire motor if much more of it was left.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

The head maybe off an Universal marine engine -

By 1923 the Universal Motor Company was manufacturing marine motors, industrial engines, engine driven lighting plants (generators), engine driven pumps, and engine driven electric welders. Universal engines were even being used to open the locks of the Panama Canal.

In 1923 Universal standardized on right hand propeller rotation for their marine engines, except for engines built to use a left hand propeller and designated as such with special model numbers.

The 4 cylinder Model C marine engine first introduced in 1915 was still being produced in 1923... by then designated the model C3. It had a brass water pump running off the back of the camshaft, a brass carburetor, a Dixie magneto with brass covers, Rentz brass top plugs, and was fitted with an "in and out" gearbox.

reference - http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/messages/3449/262687.html

1923 Universal Model C5 Ricardo head marine engine
https://www.k-bid.com/auction/2613/item/429

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

No surprise, Sir Harry Ricardo designed the basic combustion chamber shape, it was then applied to many engines.
The Roof 16 valve overhead valve head patent drawings show a Dodge engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

I wonder if it is for the English Austin 7?
Looks about the correct size and number of head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

It matches the gasket pattern shown in Victor gasket Catalog as being Universal brand marine engine as George suggested and the auction stated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Currently on CL, 1922 Universal Power Unit with a Ricardo head (I have no connection to seller): http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/pts/5500273426.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I have a Universal motor and this is the first time I've found anyone who knew about them. Motor came with a Bosch mag and a governor. I think it has a Zenith carb. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Years ago we had an antique commercial cement mixer that was powered by a Universal very similar to these and as a kid I thought wouldn't it be neat to build a car scaled to this motor, never did but wished I had it to tinker with now.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Pat,
Not much info in the Victor Gasket Catalog but here it is ( kind of wide so stretch out to the right):

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Thanks Layden. That's more info than I've ever had on this motor. PK

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration