Old Photo - "The Gals" Posing In A Model T Touring Car, 1938

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - "The Gals" Posing In A Model T Touring Car, 1938
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Jay,

Your photo is of the "Silver Streak" carrying the 'gypsy coeds' on one of their summer tours. These girls were from a small town in central Illinois and took trips all over the country in this car. Looks like it may be from the 1939 trip to the New York Worlds Fair, where they met a man by the name of Henry Ford.

More on the coeds and their trips can be found here http://gypsycoeds.com/.

I understand a story is upcoming in the club magazine pretty soon. The car still exists, much the same as in the photo, and will be on exhibit at the MTFCI museum during the homecoming. I have seen the car and it still a relatively authentic early '26 touring. Look at this photo really close and you can see the clincher rims. Notice how the girls in the back seat seem to be sitting high? They are sitting on the tent that the girls pitched to spend the night in.

Ron Dupree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnButte on Monday, March 28, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

HI Ed. This picture was taken at Greenfield Village in 2012. My wife and I took the car there to get some photos and to do some research. The location is the same location where the car and the Gypsy Coeds were photographed with Henry Ford in 1938. Museum staff helped us find the same spot, even though the landscape has changes a great deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:58 am:

I wonder what the percentage of '26 cars is that had 30 X 3 1/2's on them. There sure seems to be a lot of them around still.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

30x 3.5" clinchers are alive and well on my 26, built in March according to the body number. I've seen one other T made not long after mine which also has them.
geelong_tourer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnButte on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

JohnH, where do you find the body number?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration