Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Burk Burnett Texas

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Main Street Burk Burnett Texas
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:06 am:

What a mess! All that mud probably has a good supply of road apples mixed in with it. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Looks like any road in AFG in January.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:24 am:

I think I'd rather have a horse in that town.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Main street? Looks more like the main canal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

The Good Old Days were not All Ways quite so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

My God those cars are all pigged up! Bill you're right, those days weren't all that good really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Oddly enough, Burkburnett TX doesn't appear to have a Main Street these days.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Burkburnett,+TX/@34.0699416,-98.5961379,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x865328da41927215:0x9e28bfe b2c3286dd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Yes, it is 3rd Street at Avenue C and a little cleaner today.

I tried to load the picture this morning before lunch and finally gave up. It took three tries tonight. I'm not sure if it is my service or what.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

I wouldn't want to drive my cars in that mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 07:19 am:

I just happen to be from Burkburnett, Texas. We moved away when I was in high school, 1966. I still have family there. At the far left end of the Google picture the large building with the orange tree next to it used to be Wolfe Ford. It had upstairs auto storage for cars. I slipped up there in 1964 and saw the '64 1/2 Mustang right before it was released for sale. Gosh, that car knocked America's eyes out! I wanted one sooo bad! ha! Anyway, First National Bank of Burkburnett is there now. The 3rd or 4th of the row buildings on left was my dad's business, The Burk Furniture Mart. The old picture shows a oil drilling derrick above the building roofs on the left. This area was called the 6666 Ranch, with Nesterville being the first settled area. The 6666 ranch was called that because Samuel B. (Burk) Burnett won this land in a poker game. When a post office was authorized by the postal department the name was changed to Burkburnett. Oil discovery created this town in a very short time ( 0 to 18,000)and paving was the last thing on the wildcatter's mind. There were hundreds of derricks in town, and after the wells were drilled, the pump jacks were operated with hit and miss motors. When I was a kid there were a zillion laying everywhere, the wells having been converted to electrical power by then. THANKS SO MUCH for posting this photo. What memories it brought back for me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration