Old Photo - Model T Era - Posing At The Barber Shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Posing At The Barber Shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Haven't seen a wheel chair like that since great Grandma passed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

That fellow in the light suit must be a quick change artist because in the second photo he is dressed as a woman and the fellow cranking the Model T must be camera shy.

If they are planning to race down main street my money I on the wheel chair.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Minnesota license plate; "A" for passenger car weighing less than one ton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I wonder why the brass-style radiator was painted black (or some dark color).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

I don't think they were "black bumper Mennonites" since the Weaverland Old Order Mennonite Conference didn't start using cars until 1927, but the pictured family may instead have been interested in keeping their Ford up to date - brass radiators were considered old fashioned by 1914-16 and Ford was a couple of years after most other brands with the change to a painted radiator shell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Hard to tell, but that car is either a 1913 or 1914.

Based on the license plate, the photo was taken no earlier than 1921 (first year for Minnesota A and B plates) so the car has been around for a while and may be the reason for painting the brass to update the car.

Based on the appearance of the plate, I'm leaning toward 1922 (black over pale yellow) or 1925 was (black over silver).

The following years also had dark over a light color, but I would think the background of the plate would be a little darker in the photo:

1921 black over light blue
1923 brown over light green
1928 black over light taupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

The headlights look electric to me. Also one cowl light looks round. Electric also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

If it's that late, then maybe it's just natural corrosion on the unpolished headlamps and radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

1921 Minnesota A plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:37 am:

Notice the sign in the window? What is that for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Looks like a Kiwanis banner.

Note the telephone sign - hard to see the real thing but the reflection in the window shows up better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:50 am:

In quite a number of these older shots the plate is on the cowl. What did the mounting bracket look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

This may have been the method for attaching those plates. I assume owners without a proper bracket and not wanting to block the radiator did whatever they felt like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

No bracket.

In Minnesota, it was common to screw the license plate onto the wood firewall or windshield filler board on 1914 and earlier Model T Fords as well as other cars of that era.

The car in the photo is a 1913 or 1914 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Note folding bench on left side of picture. I have one my grand dad used when camping in the early 20's. I posted plans for it a couple years back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration