OT - Mozilla-FireFox / Windows 10 question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Mozilla-FireFox / Windows 10 question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Heeding the advice of a family member in IT to "Wait for Microsoft to get the bugs out", I will need to upgrade (from my 8.1 O/S) by July 1st if at all.... My question is whether any of you use the Mozilla-FireFox as your main browser? Is it compatible to Windows 10? There are many privacy and security issues built into FireFox (besides familiarity), and I would like to continue with that. Anyone on our Forum have experience with this?
Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Everyday with no issues for over a month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

-Andy-
Do you use the FireFox as your primary browser?
Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

I upgraded to Windows 10 several weeks ago and use Firefox as my primary browser. So far so good...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

I'm determined to be the last person on earth holding on to Windows XP. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

I upgraded the first month W10 came out on all my computers/laptops and have had only one issue with an old video card. Upgraded to a new one with no problem.

Once you remove all the junk from W10 it's pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

I was tricked into upgrading, thinking it was an update to 7. Google Earth and many other programs will not work with 10.
Decided I didn't like it and tried to go back. Lost all my mail, thank God saved to Carbonite. After my computer guy got 7 to work again, Adobe was gone, as was their webcam player.
Whatever you do don't try to go back to 7 or 8.1. The only way to get rid of their constant "ads" for 10 is to down load an app so it doesn't run them.
Cost me nearly $100 and 4 days of frustration.
I don't like things shoved down my throat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Yes, I use Firefox.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

if you have XP or 7, stay with XP or 7. If you have windows 8.1, run as fast as you can from it. OR go windows 10. Takes a while to load. Still not as good as XP/7 but 10 is FAR better than 8. Which is not saying a lot. The days of "user friendly" systems is gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Upgraded from 7 to 10 last Fall. everything works. I use Firefox, no issues. Google earth v 7.15, works as well.
On the other hand, my wife's w7 laptop will not upgrade. Got to get busy and figure that one out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

There are many security and privacy issues with Windows 10 too. Everything you do, everything you type, everything you speak (if you have a mic attached) is sent to Microsoft. Anything you create on your computer is sent to Microsoft. If you're an inventor or have intellectual software/files etc on your computer - Microsoft has copies of those files too.

If you really must use Win10, you had better scoot over to Spybot and download their Spybot Beacon and run it. This program allows YOU to maintain control over YOUR computer and turn off all the settings that transfer data to Microsoft. One word of warning though. You have to run Spybot Beacon every upgrade Microsoft installs on your computer because Microsoft will either attempt to turn on some of those settings or even add new settings to get at your private information. I'm not kidding or trying an early April Fools joke. This is why Microsoft is giving the operating system away for free - they are selling your information. If you are installing Win10 yourself, DO NOT install using the default settings - choose to set it up manually.

On a good day I hate Apple with a passion - especially after they have decided they want to allow terrorists to remain anonymous and protected, but this theft of information and intellectual property should have the US government jumping all over Microsoft. Apparently the US government has the same thought process as Apple. I won't support Apple EVER, but I can work around MIcrosoft's attempt of theft.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

I have a 4 year old laptop running windows ten with Mozilla as my primary browser. No problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

I started out with W8, upgraded to W10 with Firefox. No issues, none. I also added the free uBlock and blocked ALL internet ads. Add uBlock origin and you will not see another ad on your computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

I upgraded to w10 and no problems with it so far. Its been running for 2 months. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

I would rather give birth to a porcupine backwards than have another windows computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:25 am:

-Steve-
Hear 'ya loud & clear!
Some of us 'choose to dance with the gal we brought to the dance'... (or) 'Ya don't always hafta throw the baby out with the bath water'....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:03 am:

Got tired of the gal stomping on my toes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:45 am:

10 is truly sorry, you have to buy the office program a year at a time and ten is programmed so that all ads have to run before you can work a page. Its a malangell (sp), yuppie designed thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

-Things I've learned about W/10-

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, the upgrade is free until July 1st, 2016. After then, you will need to purchase W10 if you haven't already installed it.

Biggest concerns are Privacy, Security, and Sharing/Remote Access....
Yes, 'FireFox' is compatible. (Able to protect passwords, delete 'browsing History' up to/within 24 hours - i.e. online banking, multiple tabs, etc.)
'WebRoot' is compatible. (Believe Norton & McAfee are compatible, as well.)
If you don't need the 'personal assistant' (Cortana) - disable it!
Add the free uBlock and block ALL internet ads. Add uBlock origin and you will not see another ad on your computer!
Many app/program inclusions available with W10 were not 'free' previously.
Actual utilization begins when we have familiarity.

Privacy: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-12573039942 9.html

After setup you will have to turn off some items that Microsoft will default to "ON". These are over privacy concerns. Google W10 security and you should be able to find the issues.

Go to the control panel and open up "Windows update". (You also may want to double-check in 'Settings'.)

Click on "windows update history"

Look for the following updates...

KB3035583

KB2952664

KB3021917

Highlight and uninstall each one separately.

Acknowledgement to Don, Garnet, Andy and all you others for the insight. THANK YOU!!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:49 am:

Windows 10 comes with a really ghetto version of firefox as far as i can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 06:38 am:

Windows 10 and Firefox?....my favourite combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 07:30 am:

Will the uBlock work with anything but firefox?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:39 am:

-KEP-
Help me out here? Define 'ghetto version'. (Note that I didn't capitalize that as a noun!)
-Jim-
A friend informed me that she had to use 'AdBlock' with the IE Edge to stop the ads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 03:05 am:

The version of firefox that comes bundled with some operating systems is a somewhat detuned version that has less features and doesn't block 3rd party cookies. So by looking for an item on amazon.com you'll find other websites show ads for the exact item listed on amazon you were looking at 2 days before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 04:38 am:

I downloaded uBlock and uBlock Origin directly off the Net, My Firefox is a free Net download, and I run Norton 360 with it all. Runs smooth as silk and I haven't seen an ad in 3 months, of ANY kind. Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 04:41 am:

Jim I do believe the uBlock is a download for any system. It should tell you the requirements, I don't recall...Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

An 'FYI' (?) for anyone.... Simultaneous "Control-Shift-Delete" will clear out 'Cookies'. Please correct me if I am wrong on that. Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

In Windows/Firefox that just cleans out recent history, not cookies. You can install a plugin to Firefox so you have a one-click cookie deleter. There are many.

Regards,
Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration