Survey - What is Your Device's Default Picture File Size?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Survey - What is Your Device's Default Picture File Size?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

Taking a survey here - what do you normally use to take digital pictures and what is the maximum file size that you normally get from it?

I don't own a smartphone, so I use a Canon digital camera and have the resolution set down so that the pictures come out slightly less than 400K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

I do a run around when posting with my iPhone... I take a picture with my iPhone then I email it to myself in medium which is usually under 200kb then I post.
On my I Mac I just resize under tools...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

I use a Samsung smartphone and take 2.5 MB photos. I then use a program to reduce them if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

I use Photoshop elements, click where it says 'save for web' and tell it to reduce to 10-25% depending on the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

I use my digital camera to take images around 1MB. Then I crop using Microsoft Office to the image I want. Then hit resize / Web Large which makes them all 640 X 480, about 205K which seems to be the limit here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:56 pm:

I take my pictures at a resolution of 5184X3888 Pixels which is approximately 4.7 MB. I have 15,000 pictures on this laptop. Apple has a neat picture "resizer" under the Safari "tools" tab. Here's a pic of San Francisco, Oakland and rest of the Bay Area taken on our way back from Hawaii. I wonder how many Model T's are down there. (Does that make this a Model T post?) I reduced this picture from 4.7MB to 85K (That's from resolution 5184X3888 to 700X525 Pixels).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

My digital camera is a Canon A640. I shoot all my pictures as full size files and keep them that way. If I need a smaller file for posting online, I make a copy and resize that. If you shoot a full size original you can always make it smaller. But if you shoot a small original, you can never make it bigger.

The file size limit here is 250 KB. Apple's Preview software makes it easy to resize and adjust color. I didn't know the resize function is also in Safari. I'll have to try it out and see if I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

The reason I'm asking is to get a feel for how large a hypothetical picture file size limit would have to be so that most if not all users would be able to avoid the extra step of resizing their pics before they post.

I don't know what the file size limit is on the MTFCI forum, but apparently it is large enough that no resizing is required. Liberally paraphrasing one popular user, "plop plop fizz fizz done done!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Mine is about 698-700KB and 3264 X 2448. Which is about as small as I can get them with the camera. I then have to resize to post here. I am one dial up so I do resize to post, most all my photos for most sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

The pictures from my camera are 3.5 MB. I import them to Photoshop where I change the resolution from 72 to 300. Then I crop and reduce the pixels from to 800 to 1000 in the largest direction. Save for web and they come in at about 50 to 100 KB. I can adjust the contrast and sharpen if the photo needs it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

The maximum file size for most formats on the MTFCI forum is 7.63 MB. This is huge, and with many browsers it shows an image so big that you can't see all of it at once. You have to scroll up and down and from side to side to see the whole picture a little at a time. I'm told that IE shrinks the image to fit the screen, but not all browsers do.

Hal, how do you find a tool bar in Safari? I opened a picture file with it and could find none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:35 am:

I normally use a Canon 5DS. The files are around 55MB.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration