Livingood 4x4 with Ruckstell is it possible?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Livingood 4x4 with Ruckstell is it possible?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

quick question on this accessory:

I believe you can get the Livingood in two forms; direct drive (where the T is always in 4x4) and 2nd, where you can disconnect the link (but everything is still turning in the front axle, thus friction) but the T is back to rear wheel drive only.
Anyway, I figure one can run with the Livingood disconnected and use the Ruckstell if needed (I live in Sith Florida so no hills)
And when you want to connect the 4x4 you place the ruckstell in T 'regular' mode and 4x4 away.
Just wondering if this is possible.
Lastly, why would I want to do this? First, thinking of building a 4x4 speedster... Second, Just curious if one can or if one has to get rid of the ruckstell to have the 4x4. Basically you can have one or the other but not both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Robert
I recently sold my Livingood to a neighbour of yours. I had planned to use a Volvo all synchro 4 speed between the stock T transmission and the transfer case. The purchaser is using a Warford, so didn't want it.
Personally I don't think the Ruckstell idea will be very satisfactory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Robert, you could use a Ruckstell in 2WD, but I think an auxiliary trans like a KC Warford would be better. My Livingood 4WD has a Warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

A Ruckstell in back, a Ruckstell in front, a Warford in the middle. I can see the headline now, "The collision occurred while the T driver was attempting to figure out which lever to use." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

For the cost of two Ruckstells, you could buy a KC Warford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:29 am:

Robert
(My first post so will be curious to see if it works!)
I am who Les is referring to as you neighbor. I am putting the Livingood in my 25TT. It is a little messy but so far nothing that is beyond a little fabrication as the TT frame rails are taller and clocking it makes it less than a bolt on. I have Ruckstell that will most likely end up in the rear though i have a stock 5:17 rear in it now. It will disconnect the front drive when not engaged and the 2speed rear is usable. Not sure of the drag on all of this when using but not worried as it is a truck and the motor is fresh with some goodies. for a speedster I have no experience but why wouldn't it work. You have to remind yourself to not use Ruckstell low in 4WD as your ratios won't like each other. I will have the same issue in the TT. Both versions are chain drive and engage a gear that "freewheels", so again I am not sure of how much rotational drag will affect overall performance. Les may have more insight with his experience. Have some fun and do it just because you can.

Parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:36 am:

In case someone asks or just for fun.Transmission conga line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Robert,

It sounds like you're thinking that the Ruckstell will give an overdrive? I say that, since you mention that you have no hills, (as an overdrive would be bad in a hilly area).

In fact, the Ruckstell is an underdrive unit, which will give a top speed of maybe 25 mph in Ruckstell low. Ruckstell "high" is just a straight through 1:1 ratio.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your thinking on the Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Robert-

After reading your post again, the guys suggesting a warford or transmission upstream of the transfer case are giving you a good suggestion if you are going to add a Livingood 4WD conversion. Your final ratios will always be the same with the Wardford transmission upstream is the key. The 2 speed rear as Jerry says is an underdrive and only on one end, so you have to be in 2WD only to use it. As to fulltime or parttime 4WD with Livingood, basically there are no locking hubs so the front gears/drive shaft are turning if the front wheels are. The tranfercase has a gear that locks or freewheels pending lever position. This is not a modern all wheel drive- locked all the time setup.

Hope something in all this helps.
TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks guys... But it looks like Jesse Livingood Jr. is not making them anymore... Heard from a second source, but once I find Jesse's number (somewhere hidden on the computer) I'll give him a call to see if its true.

So Tim you bought at the right time!

Les how did your front brake project come out? As I recall you had a few prototypes testing.

So no 4x4 for my off-road sand speedster, but front brakes... that could be a great accessory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Robert,
He might still make you one unless you called him recently and he said no. He may have some help that allows him to still get them done. He would not touch one for a TT when I spoke to him and I understand. Les was kind enough to sell me his. I am handling the TT mods so to speak.

I can get you his number or you can do a search here and find it quicker if you are really set on it. It has been about four months since I talked to him.

TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Robert
Brakes still in testing phase

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Tim, how are you going to match the gear ratios between the TT rear and the Livingood front axles? You also have two different tire sizes to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Jeff
Changing the sprockets in the transfer case is my solution. Trying to be within 1% of rear. They are reasonable to fool with considering how Jessie built it. Just #50 industrial chain and sprockets so they are available. It works on paper and will do the old school revolution check for fun. TS

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration