BRASS DATA PLATE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: BRASS DATA PLATE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas C. Satterthwaite on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a very old FORD data plate. It is brass and was on a vehicle with the ID number437283. The plate has patent numbers on it from Dec. 22, 1903 to Nov. 12, 1912 with several dates in between. The plate states that this vehicle was sold subject to restrictions as to price and territory in which it may be sold. Any violation of these terms will put the seller in violation of the terms and the title of the vehicle will automatically revert to the FORD MOTOR CO. DETROIT, MICHIGAN, USA.Can anyone shed any light on this for me? THANK YOU AND KIND REGARDS, TOM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

It's a body data plate. The number stamped into it identifies the serial number of the body, not the car. Bodies were manufactured by various sub-contractors as well as by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Looks to be a "Groundhog Day" car, Feb. 2, 1914

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:34 am:

No, it's the "car number" and it differed from the engine number by 1914, so we can't be sure what day this car was assembled - but it was indeed a 1914 and the patent plate should look something like the one on Mark Chaffins '14:
ee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:37 am:

The body number is different, it's placed under the front seat and looks like this on Mark Chaffin's '14:

eee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

Roger, yeh, your right. Thanks for setting me straight! Another "brain fart"...been having a lot of them lately!! :-)

In just that short time reading about the BODY plate to go and grab the book, I had already forgotten that he was talking body plate number, not engine number!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas C. Satterthwaite on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Hi Guys, Thanks to all who replied. My data plate is an exact copy of the one pictured. Again, Thanks for the help. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Every time I see that scratched up body number plate on Marks '14, it makes my blood boil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

If it is the first picture - like Bob's - it could be a reproduction and available for about $5.00
- If it looks like the second by Roger it might be real old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas C. Satterthwaite on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

My son found this while metal detecting in a pre- World War 1 dump site. It is identical to the second picture and was at the time buried about 10 t0 12 inches down. It cleaned up nicely and has a beautiful patina.
TOM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Perhaps I lack an incredible grasp of the obvious, but In am confused. My block is stamped 246488 and under the seat cushion is stamped 152694. The date molded into the block is 4 3 13, which I understand as the casting date. The stamped number, which indicates when the engine was complete, is from approximately April 11, 1913. When I bought my T, the patent plate was missing. I want to install a repro plate, but is the correct number for that plate 152694?
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:49 am:

I stamp it about 1000 earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I'm sorry for asking, but 1000 earlier than what? I had assumed that the patent plate was like a modern VIN, but if a number from the body is used, and with multiple body providers, the patent plate number is somewhat useless. Am I wrong?
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:18 am:

quote:

It cleaned up nicely and has a beautiful patina.

Hi Tom - My dashboard plate cleaned up pretty good but it wasn't buried for 100 years either. I left it a little raw around the edges to accentuate the border but all the print is still legible.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on April 06, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Mike,
I think I'd use the cushion number--it sorta fits in with the "usual" number gap when compared with the engine. And yes, the body number on the patent plate is pretty much useless for registration purposes, at least here in CA.(AFAIK)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

David,
Thanks for your insight. I will use the cushion number.
Thanks for your response

Since I am relatively new to the Forum, and you used (AFAIK) in your response, I must ask... Is there a "Forum For Dummies"?

I certainly am familiar with IMHO, SNAFU, FUBAR, BOHICA, and others, but I cannot fathom things like BUMP, AFAIK, and others. Where is the interpretation guide?
Thanks
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

BUMP - not an acronym. Just sends the thread back to the top of the list.

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Mike,
Sorry about that, I thought that one was pretty universal.
And Bump is just bumping the thread up on the list, like bumping the car in front of you to make more room in the parking space! (Isn't that why it's done???) :-)
I do think there is a "translation" page out there somewhere!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration