Sheet metal experts here? Make a gas tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sheet metal experts here? Make a gas tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:26 am:

I cannot find a curtain size round speedster gas tank. Can anyone here make such a thing? Something along the line of 16" diameter by 28 or 30" with drain hole and 2 screw in fill caps. May end up wanting two made. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:13 am:

What is curtain size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:14 am:

A curtain size is probably a pane to make.

I'm sure he meant "certain size", and in fact I read it that way the first time I looked at it and didn't realize the spelling until you brought it up. Darn spellcheck, probably.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:23 am:

Tyrone
I have done it. The problem is I live in Canada so the freight is expensive to cross the border. Hopefully someone else can help you. If no one else volenteers then we can talk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:51 am:

The builder of the std round and oval Model T tanks in Arkansas does custom jobs too - but it may take some time.
Donnie Brown has more info: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/524605.html?1426093657

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:15 am:

That's a HUGE gas tank--24+ gallons! You plan to drive cross-country?

Also, why the double fill?

My plate is too full but be sure the builder installs baffles. That's going to be a lot of weight. About 180 pounds, when full.

(Message edited by ccwken on March 30, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:12 am:

How about a Torpedo tank???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:17 am:

This one?

(ready to install)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152033600801?item=152033600801&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:31 am:

I am after the Mercer 30C speedster look. I will have the exact size of "certain" (for the benefit of Steve :-)) this evening.

No Dave, Not oval, round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Tyrone, send me a PM message and I will send the contact info for the gas tank maker. He can build almost anything you want. He is a very nice man. But the business is a one man operation. I have said before, that when he retires, we are out of gas tanks ... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Tyrone, here are some pictures of my tank he made for me.

My tank beside a standard T tank.

My tank was built with a recessed "model T style" end. There is also the "Torpedo style" end to chose from.

aging my new tank to match the patina on my car.

This is the inside of a Torpedo tank he was making at the time I was there.

He can do any length you want, but the ends are "die stamped" so there was 2 sizes of ends easily made. I think they are aprox 10 inch and 14 inch (if my memory is correct) That is the size of a standard T tank or a standard Torpedo tank. Then there was the 2 end shape options (standard or Torpedo) He can put the fillers and drains anywhere you want them. He will also "roll" beads into the tank, most anywhere you want them. He can make the tank be two separate compartments in the tank, or add as many baffels as needed, He can put on Torpedo style legs or no legs, If you plan on painting the tank he will also glass bead the outside of the tank, or if you want it bare galvanized, you need to tell him to not glass bead it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Now that I think about it, the "standard flat end" may be made any size and the "torpedo" end was the die stamped end. You would just need to ask what the options are from him ... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I had the same fellow (can't recall his name) custom build the twin chemical tanks for the Fire Chief's rig I'm still working on - at least that's what I've been telling my wife - it's hers !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Just for reference this one is 14" dia x 32" long. 1/3 is for oil which I never have used. The other side holds about 16 gals.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

I have a round tank, made the same size as a standard T round tank. It was made by a local sheet metal place. It looks good but has no baffles. I am considering using it on my speedster project and for baffling I am thinking of using that foam stuff that is used in race car gas tanks. May work, may not, May be expensive,aint priced it yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Any good sheet metal shop should be able to make one. I worked at Stainless Steel Fabricators in Tyler, Texas and we made gas tanks there. Their # is 903-595-6625. Could be 593 instead of 595. I haven't worked there in a while. You might ask them. The man that owns it is a car guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Fuel cell foam blocks aren't too expensive.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Fuel-Cell-Foam-8-x-4-x-6-Inch,51835.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Search round tanks I bought a nice 12 gal round tank off ebay made out of aluminum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

I made my tanks from propane bottles....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Whatever shape tank you wind up with, I highly recommend considering a welded tank over a soldered tank.
This tank is one I made from aluminum. Recessed and domed ends, baffled, and fully welded. The neck and sediment bowl are aluminum and welded as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration