OT - Is New Better?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Is New Better?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:03 pm:

Yesterday my internet/TV/cable service provider sent a technician out to install a new security system. He checked the incoming service line and replaced all the connectors and splitters. I asked, "Why? Everything is working fine." His response was, "Yours were old. These are new."

Later he looked my modem over and replaced it with a new one. It was only about a year old. Again I asked, "Why? The old one works fine." His response again was, "Yours was old. This one is new."

This attitude bodes ill for us who find value in things old. Maybe it's me, but I fail to see benefit in something on the sole basis that it's new. In fact, many times in my experience something old was significantly better than its new replacement.

Clearly I am old and need to be replaced........:-)

P.S. The only reason I ordered the security system is that there was no charge for equipment or installation and adding it to my "package" reduced my monthly bill by $45.00. Some of you may benefit by checking what's available from your provider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Don't have cable service:-) do have security system that backs up to remote location no monitoring due to the fact the police will not respond if it is not a verified alarm( you have to tell the cops there is actually someone in your house that shouldn't be there) backed up by 3 dogs the chihuahuas job is to rile up the big dogs and get them excited. T.V. comes over the air :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Don't tell my wife!
She might want to replace me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

I've been working to support the passage of two bills in congress that will allow the Delta Queen steamboat to operate again carrying passengers overnight. There are 4 "entities" (they may all be the same person for all I know) who post against the bills and their statement is "The boat is old, junk, and should be demolished." When I question them they tell me basically that I'm an old fart and stuck in the past, and the boat has no relevance to today. I believe they (or it) are members of what I call the "Not Before Me" generation--anything that happened before they were born is not important nor relevant to them.
It's a sad direction that we seem to be heading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Experienced an 'old' coffee maker this morning, and the wife said "We need a new one!" (The basket of grounds was over-flowing.) After pulling the 'interrupting plunger' apart, found coffee residue built up inside the plunger stem. Finger-twist with the right-sized drill bit & blast of an air hose opened things up again. Vinegar flush the whole thing a few times, and it's working like new again... Gotta have my 'Jo-to-go'!! :-)
Just because something is "New" doesn't make it better. Most here recognize that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

Be careful, oftentimes those "packages" that reduce the bill by X-dollars are only temporary. The very fine print..too hard for us old folks to see...usually spell out a hefty increase after the promotional price is over. Just sayin. I know, mind my own business!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

For the better part of three decades, I worked in cutting edge technology. THIS malarkey is why I had to get out of that business. Thirty to fifty years ago, we were designing and building the systems that are the forerunners of cable TV and internet today. Our goal was always to make things WORK! Make things compatible, and do what at the time was thought to be incredible. A couple decades ago, things changed. Marketing took over. Administration and engineers became over-run by gamers, and almost everyone cared more about scoring points by being able to do something once that you can't. The idea of making anything actually work reliably was gone.
Me? I fought with everyone, and hated it. THIS IS the reason I rant and rail against "computer people". (Yes there are some good ones out there, and guess what? A few of them have model Ts.) The stories I could tell.

One shortened version of a long one.
Back before my time, even to before I was born, engineers and developers were trying to figure out the best ways and the most economical ways to make cable. Many ideas were tried. Many ideas failed miserably. One of the BIGGEST and MOST DISASTROUS failures was a method and materials of making cables tried in the early '50s. It worked, for awhile. Then went bad and failed HORRIBLY! Thousands of miles of this c&@& was made and installed before it failed.
So what happened thirty years later? One of the wealthiest men in the world, who made the entire fortune on newer cutting edge technologies, building a mansion costing tens of millions of dollars, hired one of the most expensive engineers (not us) he could get, who used the most expensive home-type cables money could buy, in this mansion.
So, what happened? This MOST EXPENSIVE (well known name brand revered by millions of people) home-use cable that money could buy was a "new improved product", that had exactly duplicated the cable that had FAILED HORRIBLY in the 1950s.
Three years after the multi-millions of dollars mansion was finished? The cable inside those massive expensive walls, all went bad. The system failed completely.
After spending almost a year trying to figure out what went wrong, the people that had installed the system (and they knew us, but hadn't wanted to "bother" us before the build) called us in. WE had to figure out a way to solve the problems. We succeeded. By replacing almost all the cabling in the house (more than a thousand feet of cable hard-wired inside walls) WITHOUT damaging any of the visible walls in the home.
Repairing a STUPID and totally preventable mistake cost about five times what the original system had cost.
It is no wonder that I have come to hate most modern engineers and do not like the way the world is going.
Drive carefully and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Today's priorities:

1. being trendy

2. our "feelings"

3. newest is best/all that really matters

4. what others think of us

Please, make a note of it ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Burger - A local furniture store here has quite an assortment of little signs with all kinds of cute "sayings" on them, and some of them are pretty good! One that I particularly like comes pretty close to an item or two on your "list",......

"The best things in life are not things!"

Seems like many of us have to get old enough to begin to understand that,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

It bet the person posting the negative comments about the Delta Queen is older then you think! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

One of my Model T mentors told me he'd rather use a good used bearing than a new one, because some number of the new ones would be bad. A good used one had proven itself to be good. He said it was a lesson he had learned from his Mom, concerning canning jars. Same deal. It makes sense to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

I began collecting telephone insulators at the age of five in 1966. At the time, phone companies
were madly removing the old openwire lines and replacing them either with aerial cable or going
underground. This put me in a peculiar place, because at the time, many still strongly held to the
definition that an "antique" must be at least 100 years old, and none of this old hardware kind of
thing was ever going to qualify as an "antique". That stuff was permanently consigned to the bin
known as "old junk" and I was informed more times than I can remember by snooty old women
with upturned noses and half-glasses that hung on gold chains around their neck that I would
be better served scrounging around old scrap/junk yards than defile the ambiance of fineries at
their ANTIQUE shop !

Strangely, today, one can go to a lot of "antique" malls and be pressed hard to find anything
dating before WW2, with many sellers offering nothing but junk made in China three months previous
to LOOK like something old ! ... or items made specifically to be what people call "collectible".

Those snooty antique shop owners would keel over in disgust over what is being pawned off
as "antique" today.

Roger Waters penned some words that seem to describe my interest in old, something about
a distant ship's smoke on the horizon:

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
the child is grown
the dream is gone ...

I used to go into my Grandfather's shop and just soak up the ambiance of the sunlight pouring
in through the dirty windows like shafts of glowing gold, bouncing off the glass and chrome of the
old cars in there. The smell of old cars, oil, and wood was heavenly. Tools hung neatly on nails
above his work bench, I was especially fascinated with a shelf rack that stood behind the door,
filled with old aqua fruit jars that held all his nails and screws and widgets.

Old barns and old cars and all that stuff of my Grandparent's generation and earlier were always
the places I wanted to be, to be surrounded by, immersed in. Sure, I like my power tools and a
lot of the latest and greatest things that help me make a living, but where I want to be and surrounded
by is in all that old junk that filled the world in 1880 or 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 03:46 am:

Mark,
Here's the URL of the site where I'm declared an a@@hole by these guys/guy. I don't think they can be much over 35.
https://washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/114_SN_1717.html#commentform
and
https://washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/114_HR_1248.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:19 am:

No, newer is not always better. Wayne Sheldon knows it. And so do i!
Disturbing thing is i see younger people these days who hate everything old and rail against it at every opportunity. At first i thought it was to insult me. Now i see they are delusional.

No need to replace a modem or connectors that're only 3 months old. Often the old ones were made with better materials.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 08:52 am:

And the big, if not the worst, problem is we've become a disposable society. Both in things AND people for that matter! Don't fix it, just toss it and put in a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:06 am:

David, I just read the comments on the Washington Watch and I am now steaming more than the Delta Queen herself!

It's so frustrating to put up with irrational *ssho**s such as the three who are posting. They are a minority just spouting off insults into the wind and trying to bring everyone to their sub-human level by insulting as they are doing. May they rot in the "all new and plastic" world they are intending to create. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:33 am:

My personal thought - whether it's Twitter or the current political - The more outlandish and obnoxious one can be, it will gain you more 'followers' and recognition! And, shout at me with your text message, too.... "Give me attention!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration