Acetylene Headlamp Help, Please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Acetylene Headlamp Help, Please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I got a set of the igniters for the headlamps but I have a couple of questions: Do they mount to the front of the burner or the side and; the spark from the igniters is apparently too weak to light the gas coming from the burners. The flints I got from the drugstore are for a Zippo type lighter. Is there a better flint to use? And, if so, where do I find them? The flints fit inside the holder just fine but, frankly they seem too small in diameter.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

This is how I found mine. Maybe that is how they came out of the lamps they were in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Marty,

I installed a Colt igniter on my Victor driving light Sunday. I like it to the right side as you look at the light. That way it Sparks across the "Y" of the burner.

Are you mounting Colt igniters?

There are issues with the flints. I can answer better when I get on my computer at the house in a couple of hours.

I am on my telephone right now. I am changing burner stands in my John Browns to put the Colts in.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Do you know what brand they are?

I had a set of Universal lighters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

The few igniters I've seen appeared to have flints similar in size to those used with welder/torch strikers. Maybe a welding supply store could help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

This the style I have.

That is Colt 3/4 ft. burner with the igniter. The flints are the wrong size. Too small.

This is the Victor with the lighter I put in on Sunday. It lights easy and the friction wheel isn't too high where it can get hot.

This lighter was NIB and had the one flint in it. I have made an aluminum tube that will slip inside the flint holder on these units and the regular small flints will work fine.

If anyone knows where to get the larger flints, please let us know.

I am making up 1/8" brass pipe stands for my John Brown 16s. That way I can use one of the focus adjusting slots to run the twist shaft out of.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

First, thanks for all the responses.

I'll have to take a picture of the ones I have and post them.

So, they do go to the side! That's the way I had them mounted at first. Seems to me, that puts the spark closer to the gas source.

Erik, I don't know the brand. They're more like the ones Ken has. I'll post pics.

I, too, would like to find bigger flints that fill the tube more then the lighter flints. Maybe that will give a bigger, brighter spark to actually light the burner.

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. And, Ken, if you find them let me know where and I'll do the same.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Here's the kind I have on my 14 but the ones on the car are in better shape. I do not see a makers name on it anywhere. The ID size of the opening where the flint slides in is 1/8 inch. A friend of mine found some on Grainger but no size is given.

Here's the Grainger site:http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Single-Flint-Lighter-2CYX7?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2CYX7_AS01?$smthumb$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

I have never seen any of these before!! Are they safe to use? Are you going to burn yourself when reaching in and turning the striker?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

You don't touch the striker.

You pull a wire which activates the striker. The wire is typically long enough that it hangs through the bottom of the lamp so you don't even have to open the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Thank You Erik!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Kenneth,

The twist shaft has a knurled knob that hangs down outside the bottom of the headlight bucket. The arrow points to the "knob" you twist.

You turn the acetylene Prest-O-Lite gas on and give it a chance to get gas to your lamp and just twist it. It sparks like a Zippo or Bic friction lighter with a flint in it. Works great. These were also used to light the gas lights in homes, etc.

Marty,

I have solved using the small flints. The sleeve I show will work in your lighters. You see the similarity to my Colt Friction Lighters flint supply shaft.

It is only a slight modification and I did the two shown this evening. There is the small aluminum sleeve and a smaller spring. The red arrow points to the small aluminum sleeve. It is 1/8" x .014 tubing. Tube, 36 inch, was $2.20 at Turner Hardware.

I slightly flare an end and then cut off just a smidgen less than the length of your flint supply shaft. Also, there is an empty disposable propane lighter which I get the spring out of and you can see in the following. It fits fine.

The last picture shows the flared end that keeps the aluminum tube from running against the friction wheel.

They spark good and are easy to twist. The spring in a Coleman friction lantern lighter will also work in the sleeve. I have one of them in one of the lighters.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Ken, you're a far handier man than I am! I'll pick up some of that tubing and see if I can duplicate what you made. My springs are fine.

Do you get a nice, large spark with the small flints and your tube arrangement? I can't get a big enough spark to light the gas.

Thanks Ken and all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Marty,

The friction wheels are new on mine and give a good spark with the small flints. You may want to lightly brush your friction wheels to get any residue out of the crevices. It may make them work better.

Another thing that can cause them not to spark good is that the spring is too weak and not pressing the flint against the wheel hard enough.

I would maybe use a small brass wire brush. There are some of them not much bigger than a tooth brush. Something else that might help could be an Exacto Knife with a point on it to lightly scrape the serrations. The friction wheel has to cut the ferrocerium to make the spark.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR BEFORE TRYING!
At least the explosion will be directed out so
the shrapnel will be reduced. Stand to the side
and away from the opening. These are used for
convenience of not having to find a match but you
should still open the door. Otherwise you just made
a bomb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

These lighters have been on my car for over 40 years. I originally got them from Jim Kenealy who wrote the Accessories books.

I always turn on the water when its getting dark by reaching over the edge of the seat to the generator on the running board If we are on the road. I wait about 3 minutes for the gas to get to the lights.

If we get to a traffic stop light the wife jumps out and opens the doors, blows into it and twists the striker end under the light. They usually light straight up. Close the doors and by then the traffic light has turned green and away we go.

You will notice the burners are different, there is a slot in the top which provides the fan of flame.

light 01
light 02
Fingers crossed the pictures are OK this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Norman,

Are you using a carbide generator or Prest-O-Lite with your headlights?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Thanks, Ken, I'll give the friction wheel cleaning a try. The springs are really strong and keep the flint pressed to the wheel.

Pete, I have one ignitor like yours and it gives a large, strong spark. If I had two, I'd use those.

Thanks again, all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration