Recommendations for 21" rubber stem tubes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Recommendations for 21" rubber stem tubes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Within the last 12 months, there has been a Forum post about rubber stemmed tubes and the problems with quality and the stems coming loose. What brand of rubber stemmed tube would you currently buy? A check of two major suppliers currently shows 21" tubes for $16.95 each; one at $18.95 each; two at $20.95 each; and another at $24.95 each.

I don't know what brands these suppliers sell. I don't mind paying the highest price if the higher priced supplier's tubes are better quality than the cheaper suppliers, but if he's selling the same tube as the others, I don't feel like padding his pockets.

I emailed the higher priced supplier, asking him if his tubes were superior to the others being sold and he has not responded to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Mostly buy Universal Tire products. Haven't gotten any 21" lately, but the 30" x 3 1/2 rubber stem from Universal are heavy duty, weight 2 1/2 lbs. They are marked Made in EEC.

Have some Lang's supplied, 30" x 3 1/2" rubber stem, with a single blue stripe, and they are light, only 1 1/2" lbs.

Seems more rubber is better? :-)

Universal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I think Cooper was the last tube manufacturer in the USA and I believe they no longer make any. Sounds likely those from Europe might be the best. Give Universal a call and see what you can find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

The tubes I have got from Lucas are nice and heavy. I got some from the big Mac that were real thin. I go for Lucas. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

I went ahead and ordered from Universal Tire. FYI: I told them that I wanted 21" tubes. they said they sold two kinds. I asked if any were made in the EEC and they said, yes. That's what I ordered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

I also decided to use the EEC / blue striped tubes (30x3 1/2)
As they were nearly twice the weight as the alternative that was originally supplied by the vendor. I'm still very concerned about the quality and life expectancy of both the tyres and tubes offered these days. All four of my new tyres / tubes drop pressure from 55psi to 45 over a few days but do appear to hold that pressure from then on. My 21" 25 year old tyres/ tubes hold 26psi for months. Tyre issues are a real pain and will ruin your day out but what can we do? I too would pay much more for better rubber
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:19 am:

I just ordered a set of 21'' Cokers with 4 Coker tubes. My fingers are crossed.....Ordered them thru Summit, free shipping paid for the 4 tubes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Has anyone had any luck with a small amount of a product called Slime added to the tube? Seems to me that the new rubber being used now days could benefit from a internal type sealer. Have used it on many trailer tires around my rural get-a-way with good results.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration