Headlight improvements

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headlight improvements
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:03 am:

How have any of you improved the headlights on your later model T's? Halogen, sealed beams, running lights?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Changing to 12v made a nice improvement. Not sure what my next step will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:00 am:

It's important to have good silver plating on the reflectors. Chromed repros from the vendors aren't as good. Proper 6 volt bulbs will give a good light if the reflectors are good and the bulbs are focused. Uvira is a modern type of coating that is as good as (or in some cases better than) silver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:04 am:

Rotated the bulb holder 90 degrees so that the new bulbs could be focused properly, to me the bigger concern was getting the rear end well lit. So since I have a 12 volt system I have a hidden connector for magnetic trailer lights, YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:06 am:

The Uvira process is supposed to reflect just as good as silver but with no tarnishing so it does not deteriorate like the original silver finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I googled Uvira and all I could get is that it's a place in the Democratic Republic of Congo????

I've never heard of it. More data please.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:18 am:

I googled uvira coating and got this doesn’t say who does it though
http://www.industrynet.com/listing/1837323/uvira-inc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Contact info in the older thread

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/325199.html?1354399962

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Because between 1915 and 1919, the Model T's electric headlights were powered by the engine's ignition system, their brightness was a function of engine RPM and, of course, in modern night-time traffic, that's just not acceptable. _That was part of the reason I had a full 12-volt system installed (including 12-volt bulbs, of course). _It makes a huge difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight Smith on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:23 am:

I just had my reflectors plated and is there any trick of the trade in keeping the cord in place around the reflector?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:32 am:

I used a hot glue gun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:34 am:

That would work. I use 5 small dots of clear RTV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:53 am:

When i switched from using the carbide generator to a tank of acetylene that was my headlight improvement!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

the Uvira process is done by a guy up in Oregon who developed it for NASA for high-tech mirrors in space. As Tony would say, "It's GREAAAT!" Chromed reflectors are nearly worthless, AND illegal in many states still (because chrome is a lousy reflective surface, returning only about 60% of the light).
Correct new reflectors with the Uriva-type coating are available for the Model A, hopefully someone will make them for the T--there should be enough demand, I'd think (uh oh, there I go thinking again--I should know better, it usually just gets me into trouble!).
I know my model A with 50cp 6V bulbs gives me more light than an old 12v standard sealed beam, don't have my Ts lights set up yet. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

Here's the contact info again:

Contact Bill Atwood (Owner)

email: uvira@terragon.com

Uvira
PO Box 1137
Merlin, OR 97532
Phone: (541)474-5050

Bill is an old car guy and very knowledgeable. He told me they can reflectorize good re-pop chrome reflectors as easily as nickel plated ones. Chrome re-pops are a heck of a lot cheaper as well. Last I remember the cost was $75/pair and that included return shipping. I've had both: the chrome re-pops and original fresh nickel plated ones done. Can't tell the difference between the two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I don't think the current batch of re-pops have the correct "dish" to them, since you're paying to have the Uvira coating put on, look for some good originals (there seems to be plenty out here at swap meets). The correct dish combined with the Hudson type fluted lenses will get you a nice spread beam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

I have been to the guys shop in Merlin, Oregon, so can attest that there is such a place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

I had my headlight reflectors for my '29 Nash done by UVERA in 1986.
They have tarnished a bit and the lights are bright. Like sealed beams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:47 am:

I copied a speedster guy and installed Hella driving lights in mine because I drove a good bit at night. They work very good on my 12V non generator car. I have the More-Lite lenses so you can't see inside the carbide lights to see that I removed the burners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:09 am:

How do the Uvira reflectors compare price wise to having them resilvered? I wonder why the vendors haven't made these available? Sounds like a good alternative to chromed steel reflectors which may rust eventually if they aren't triple chrome plated, which I doubt they are. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:10 am:

David,
As I've said before and I will emphasize: CHROMED HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS ARE NO GOOD AND ILLEGAL IN MANY STATES!Single or triple plated, still won't reflect enough light to provide good headlamps, that's why laws were written back in the day to outlaw them. So, steel or brass, it's really not important!
Now as to silver plating vs Uvira coating, you're probably looking as similar costs, but the Uvira coating will long out-live the silver plating if it doesn't get damaged.
BTW, if Chrome is illegal in many states, how do the suppliers get away with selling them? Probably law enforcement has better things to do with their time! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:46 am:

Illegal? what we got chrome cops now? Again
If every thing is correct they should be bright
as the sun. Mine are on 6vts...

"law enforcement has better things to do"
I struggle to change a bulb never mind some rookie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:06 am:

David, I didn't mean triple chrome plated reflectors would be more reflective, just that they wouldn't rust as bad as the now popular "flashed" chromed items that are now so popular. I don't know if the chromed reflectors that the vendors sell are triple chromed or not, but I'm guessing they aren't. I do know that the reflectors that I had nickel plated years ago(didn't know any better at the time) on my TT work just fine. No doubt the silvered or Uvira reflectors are better, but I can't see that the others are that bad, science not withstanding.:-) JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

DAvid S,
If you want to upgrade your nickeled reflectors, that's how UVIRA likes to get them, I guess the aluminizing process works better on nickel? And yes, you are right about flash plating, yech!
Sam, no the laws are from the 1920s, so not "now."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:00 am:

David D., thanks for that info. Maybe I didn't mess up so bad after all!:-) I'll have to check into having mine done.
Kevin W., thanks for the contact info. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Dave, No problem! Glad to help. You're going to love those new reflectors. Make sure to report back how you like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

The silver coating in mine was almost gone. I pulled them and polished the brass surface with Nuvite polish and they reflect better than they did, not perfect, but they have a great yellowish light.
I am thinking of going 12 Volts as my 6 volt Wally Mart batteries don't seem to last more than four months. I have a 6 V generator and a 6 V alternator, not much difference between them.
The starter seems to work OK with 12 VDC, Turns over faster too. The light bulbs are easier to find in 12 V, The coils should work better with 12 V, What other advantages are there to going 12 Volt ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Alan, 12V lights aren't brighter than 6V lights with the same CP rating - if the wiring is OK. The only reason to go to 12v would be if you run coils and the magneto is dead. 6V bulbs are available from the vendors just like the other parts you may need for your T. The starter may or may not break from 12v, but it wasn't designed for 12v and will wear faster. You need better silver reflectors, that'll help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration