California shipping advice needed please.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: California shipping advice needed please.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:01 am:

I'm just about to order one of Tom Rootliebs Speedster kits.
To get it into Australia I first need to get the 6 crates from Turlock CA to my shipping agent in Compton CA (near Longbeach LA).
I understand that Rootliebs are presently looking far a "ball park" $ figure for me, but I thought I'd ask the forum members for advice as well.
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:32 am:

I have no experience with this, but a suggestion I've often seen is shipping between Fastenal stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Williams on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 08:33 am:

We just shipped wheels with Fastenal, I have not received them yet, so I can't give a full report of the experience. Setting up the shipment was straight forward and pretty easy. You will have to get the parts (package or pallet) to a Fastenal facility and then pick them up at a Fastenal facility. The price was the best I
we could find ... thanks to the recommendations from folks on this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Rob,

Do you want your crates to " disappear " or lose some of their contents en route ?

Go with what the Seller you are buying from recommends ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

Hi,
As I'm in Australia and have no way of getting them to a Fastenal outlet....AND....I have no idea what Fastenal is anyway, I'll take Jim's advice and stick with Rootlieb's choice.
Thanks for answering folks, its much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Fastenal is an American hardware and building supply company that offers third party shipping services, but as others have said, someone would have to get the crates to Fastenal and then someone would have to get the crates from the Fastenal store nearest Compton to your freight forwarder. Fastenal does not offer door to door pickup and delivery; only store to store. Within the last 6 months, I sold two rear fenders and a deck lid to a party in New Zealand. Even though it was quite expensive, we had to use FedEx ground from Houston to Compton (Kiwi Forwarding) and then they went to NZ. The bill to get the parts to Compton was almost as much as to get them from Compton to NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 01:10 am:

Rob, how big are the crates? Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 01:46 am:

Rob,

Phone Australia, 0417 236 495 speak to Neil he will give you a contact.

Peter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:17 am:

Kim,
There are 5 crates in all.
1) 48" x 23" x 26" 137lbs
2) 31" x 20" x 6" 12lbs
3) 62" x 17" x 15" 90lbs
4) 62" x 17" x 15" 90lbs
5) 82" x 37" x 5" 115lbs

Peter,
Thank You.

Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Rob, if you can get Tom Rootlieb to bring the boxes to the Bakersfield swap meet, I can take them to Compton, or Wilmington. Both are close to my house. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

To all of you who answered my question...."Thank You" for doing so.
However, once I had all the details in front of me and ran it all past my shipping agent, in order to get an exact freight cost, I found that I hadn't allowed for the various import duties and taxes that I'd have to pay upon arrival here.
I'm embarrassed about it.....I must be getting old or something, because I have imported stuff before and been through all the rigamaroll several times before.
In my haste to avoid the likelihood of a lower AU$ next month, due to a lowering of interest rates, I just plain forgot about it.
So the purchase is off......for a few weeks anyway, until I get my act together. (a shame, because there's an underslung, completely rebuilt, rolling chassis just begging for it).
Once again Gents, "Thank You" for your advice.
Cheers (maybe not so many)
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

Rob,

Maybe create a thread in the Classifieds to see if anyone is shipping a vehicle from Long Beach Port to your neck of the woods that might have room in a container for your crates.

There may be a car or two headed your way from Bakersfield in a couple weeks ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

A good idea Jim,
Thanks,
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration