Right Hand Drive Model T engines

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Right Hand Drive Model T engines
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:02 am:

I was looking at the photos on recent thread of several Australian RH drive Model T's and the question occurred to me. Do right hand drive T engines have the carb and exhaust on the left side of the engine? Can someone with a RH drive T post pictures of the engine? I'm trying to imagine how the RH steering would fit on the right side of the engine compartment if the exhaust was also on the RH side like LH drive T's.

Thank you

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Williamson - NSW, Australia on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:32 am:

On my RHD Australian 1925 Tourer the timer, carb, intake, exhaust etc are on the right. The starter motor and horn are on the left.

Oh, and on the steering column the throttle lever is on the left and the spark lever is on the right.

RHD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 02:59 am:

File found on internet
Here is a picture i found on the internet of a car fitted with a RHD engine. The manifolds are the other way apparently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Far South Coast. NSW. OZ on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 03:26 am:

The engine on a RHD Model T is exactly the same as a LHD Model T.
The spark and throttle rods are reversed so that the spark rod is outboard of the column.
Therefore the picture above would have to have been doctored.
I tried to post a pic of mine but I don't have one small enough presently.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 04:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 04:45 am:

That "RHD engine" is in a LHD car, hmmm.
And the patent plate is backwards.
Someone had some fun putting the Ford logo on the radiator backwards and then flipped the picture. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Kep,

I like your photo of the T from the parallel universe. It fits well for Apr 1st. And yes, Eric it is either photo-shopped or the script was put on backwards.

Jim,

Initially there was plenty of room for the steering column on either side of the T engine. And from 1909 to 1918 Ts were assembled both with RHD and LHD in Canada. And RHD cars were assembled in the USA for shipment to England and other non-Commonwealth countries. Starting in 1911 England began assembling their own RHD cars from parts supplied from the USA and England. But when Ford introduced the engine block with the generator on the right front, the generator interfered with the placement of the RHD steering that had been successful in the past. Ford of England had recently replaced the out going English management team with a USA led management team. Their response was to switch from making RHD cars for England to making LHD cars for England starting in Sep 1919 ( ref pg 239 “The English Model T Ford” vol 1). And even if you ordered a car or truck with out the electrical equipment it was still supplied LHD only.

The Canadian management approached the same problem of fitting the engine with the generator into the car I in a different manner from the British. Canada developed and fielded a belt driven generator that was located on the left side of the engine as shown below: (Illustration if from the 1920 Canadian Owners Manual. Note there is a nice photo from John Olsen from Australia who obtained it from the Ford of Canada archives on page page 49 of the Mar-Apr 1979 “Vintage Ford” but for some reason I have not been able to post it yet. Yes it is below 195 kb).

Ford of Canada quickly followed that with a redesign of the RHD steering bracket that allowed enough room for both the generator and the RHD steering column to be on the same side. And Ford of Canada discontinued the belt driven generator set up. For better photos and additional information on that belt driven generator and the replacement RHD steering bracket please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/150437.html?1278900795

What about England? They continued with their “LHD only” approach until Jan 12, 1923 when Ford of England went back to producing RHD cars for their market (ref pg 230 “The English Model T Ford” vol 1). They had lost a lot of market share unnecessarily as the parts were readily available from Canada for a RHD car if their management had been willing to use the Canadian style steering bracket set up.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Kep, that photo proves you can believe nothing you see on the internet.

It was manipulated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 08:14 am:

And today is..........?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 09:05 am:

And the power of gravity keeps them running upside down without slipping out into space! It even keeps the oil, gas, and water from spilling out!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Very interesting. Thanks everyone.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Kep, that picture fit the day it was posted, April fools day.
There are not that many differences between the RHD and the standard LHD.
There is a RHD 4 door sedan that has made in Canada stamped all over it and it is located not that far from me. I have been trying to buy it for 5 plus year. Some very old ladies own it and they lost their marbles a long while back. I keep trying, but I think I am wasting my time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Willie, Maybe you will outlast the old ladies and you can buy it from their Heirs. Of course by then, you may have to give it to your sons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Terry, I appreciate those kind words, but if these current Chemo treatments I am taking do not work, They may outlast me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Then you should go back, and this time take a vicar with you to speak on your behalf. Who can refuse a man of the cloth? Life is too short to just sit back and watch!

Respectfully,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Garnet, that may be a good thought. I might want to try it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration