Piquette Plant Opens Today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Piquette Plant Opens Today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 11:42 am:

The Ford Piquette Avenue Plant opens for the 2016 season today. Hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Wednesday through Sunday.

Come and see what is new since last year.

piquette

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

New?? I thought there'd be OLD stuff there. . . .
:-)
Would love to be there, California is just too far away. . . BUT you're on my "bucket list!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

David,

It is (mostly) new old stuff. We now have four 1909 touring cars on display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

And you have to make a visit!

I did earlier this year, wonderful is the word, those behind the restoration and recreation of the first Ford plant are to be commended highly :-)

Teaser pictures posted, you need to go !

You could almost feel Henry just stepped out of his office a moment before....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

If the museum just opened for the 2016 season and you visited earlier this year . . . how'd 'ya get in?

Want to hit HFMuseum,, GF Village and this plant on a road trip this summer or next. I was born and raised in Dearborn, MI. Graduated Edsel Ford High School in 1972.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Robert

Got to go due to fine annual membership meeting Jan 29-20 2016) in Dearborn of the MTFCI. Host Steve Shotwell ( on the board of Piquette, had tours of all things Henry on that weekend, for the 170 club members who attended from all over the country.

5 bus loads, we toured The Rouge, Fair Lane,(even that was not open to the public as its being restored for opening in 2020) Highland Park Sales Bldg, Ford House (Edsel's home),'140 Edison' the home of Clara and Henry before Fair Lane (it is a private home never open to the public!) and bus toured Greenfield Village, that was closed the public but open for us club members too, and many more places, a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Bohlen on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

The Piquette Avenue Plant is the only Museum in the world that has two 1909 two level two pedal Model T on display along with many interesting displays of Henry Ford cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:54 am:

AND the only museum in the world where those cars are "in situ" No greater provenance than that!
If I'm ever back there I WILL go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Let's see starting out from Jacksonville Florida in a '27 roadster barring any unforeseen problems,..... Hummm when did you say it closes for the season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Soon to be: Five 1909's on display! The fifth one should be pretty special. More later....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

What? 5 now? I've got to get more active in museum goings-on. This summer, perhaps, when the kids are on break.

jason

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Jerry,
You guys are hoarding all the '09s, eh?? You do know how to make a guy drool. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Makes me drool too David. I get to look but not touch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:48 am:

What date does it close for the season?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Kevin,

I believe it's sometime in Nov. However, as I understand it, they are trying to remain open year round. Hopefully that can happen!

Stay tuned here: http://www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Jerry,
Most museums close for part of the year to change displays, clean things carefully, and repair stuff--plus give the volunteers some "off" time. Plus, doesn't it get really cold up there part of the year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Thanks Jerry, I'm planing to come to the US in Aug and hope to view it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Kevin,What about the second weekend in September at the OCF?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Kenneth I have to work around when I can get off work plus my other job picks up Sep... but what is the OCF?
I would love to do as much model T stuff as I can while I'm in the US.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Kevin,I'm too dump to post links but would someone please post a couple to the OCF for Kevin?? The OCF is up to around 700 cars,trucks,motor cycles,doodle bugs,and speedsters all period correct or stock and nothing made after 1932!! Don Booth has made several top notch videos of the best old car event anywhere!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Bud, I think last year there were 960 entrants for the OCF.

Kevin, Here's a link to pictures from the 2015 OCF:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/571067.html?1443959128

Enjoy,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Thanks Guys, so exactly where is it held and what dates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Kevin,The OCF is always the second weekend in Sept at the Henry Ford/Greenfield Village complex.Nothing fake nothing after 1932 and it may be a perfect Rolls Royce or a rusty model T.Plenty of fun and forum people and like Keith said you might get a ride in Robs model K!! I think a full week might let you see Piquette and so much more And so many great people to meet!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Kevin, The first Monday in Sept. is Labor Day here in the US, and the OCF is always the following weekend.

What's really unique is our cars are allowed even encouraged to drive around Greenfield Village all day both days, Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday Evening they stay open until 9PM, later than the normal closing time of 5PM. At dusk we light up our lights: either gas or electric, whatever you have, and drive around the Village on a prescribed route so that there's no cross traffic. It's kind of like a big oval route.

Somewhere on the Forum from previous years are several videos of this gaslight parade. You can see Bud (that's Francis W. DeLong) driving his '14 Touring pretty easy because it has white tires that match his pretty big white beard. He might be wearing his Derby and white shirt too. Does that sound like you, Bud? :-)

Anyway, Kevin, if you can make the OCF you'll really enjoy it. Someone who has room in their car will probably give you a ride too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:10 am:

Sounds great guys, I guess this is in Detroit?
I can't make it this year as I had to confirm my air tickets today. Its a shame as I plan to be in Detroit a few weeks earlier. Hopefully I can stumble over a T run somewhere in my 5 weeks, July 19 - Aug 23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Kevin,

It's in Dearborn, just outside of Detroit.

https://www.thehenryford.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:36 am:

Jerry I hope to stay near Dearborn and spend a few days in the Henry Ford, I would love to catch up if it suits when I'm there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:07 am:

In 2014 several Early Ford Registry members drove their cars to Piquette prior to the Dearborn to Lansing Tour. To help put the size of the plant in perspective, by the summer of 1908 Ford was manufacturing over one hundred cars a day. While Ford owned the entire block, along with other plants and with Dodge Brothers shop contributing, still a lot of activity and materials had to flow through this space:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration