Engine whines and misses need help (again)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine whines and misses need help (again)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 08:27 pm:

A couple of months ago I was having starting problems with my 25 hack. A bunch of you came to my rescue and I wound up changing out the timing gear. It's been running fine until today when for no apparent reason it quit. I pulled the timer and the nut had come off the shaft and the whole works was apart but nothing damaged . I replaced the timer and re-timed the unit and now when running the engine has a very loud whine and misses. could I have installed the timing gear wrong, or damaged something when the timer came apart? As always all advise and help greatly appreciated and followed. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 01:09 am:

If the nut on the timer came loose, could it possible that the nut which holds the timing gear is also loose? If it is loose the gear will wobble. It will either whine immediately or whine later as the gear wears. You can see the condition of the gear and maybe even check it for looseness by removing the oil cap and turning the crank two turns. Perhaps try to move the gear forward and back with a screwdriver. If it is loose, you will need to replace the gear and be sure it is tight. If you are lucky, the whine is in the timer, and you can find and fix it easily. The misfiring would lead me to check the timer first before messing with the gear.
Norm
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:41 am:

Hate to sound negative here, but it is hard to imagine any sound like a "whine" coming from a timer,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:05 am:

Norm, you may be correct about the loose gear. The sound I'm getting is a lot like a gear whine. Very pronounced and loud. I will tear the front end down again and investigate. Thanks again for your help. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Norm, you were right on with the loose timing gear nut. Some fool must have not gotten it tight enough. Now that same fool needs to know if blue Loctite should be used on that nut and the timer nut to prevent loosening. Also I don't believe I had it timed correctly with the timing marks. I positioned the gear with the ford script on the crank gear aligned with the timing mark on the timing gear, however on close inspection this morning I see a center punch mark on the crank gear. Is that where I should match up? - My last question is When I put it all back together last time using gaskets it leaked oil. Is it better to use permatex or gaskets or both.Thanks all for the help. Harv.
geargear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/153210.html?1280771065

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/291004.html?1337814530

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/368282.html?1371537227

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Harvey, on the small gear you will find a tooth that is marked with the word Ford. On the large or camshaft gear there are two teeth with a "0" between them. The Ford needs to be between these two teeth on the large gear. No lok-tite is necessary on the cam gear nut. As long as it is tight enough it will never come loose. I use this tool to tighten the nut. It's not completely necessary but, it makes it easier to tighten the nut down. I would use both the gaskets and a gasket sealer. Also, when you're finished make sure to center your timing gear cover and re-time your timer.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/3050BT.aspx

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Thanks for the links and the great info. I have attached another 2 pictures, since my small gear has both the ford logo and what appears to be a center punch mark I am somewhat confused. The ford logo is a perfect match with the timing gear mark while the center punch mark is slightly off a match. Stephen I'm sure your are correct with the ford logo being the correct mark. It also matches the other links for it's location in regards to the gear keyway. Please advise if I am wrong and Thanks all for the information and help Harv. geargeargear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

The Ford mark is correct. The timing mark is in line with the key seat in the crank.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:06 am:

A Model A spark plug wrench fits the cam gear nut perfectly:

Model A wrench Model T nut

Ifn you don't have a wrench or socket that fits an old time trick is to use a hammer and punch to loosen or tighten the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:42 am:

I use both gaskets and gasket sealer. There is also a felt seal inside a groove where the cover goes over the crankshaft. It is good to replace that too. I actually like to use the Model A cord type seal there. If you use the Model A seal you will need to shorten it because it is made for a larger crankshaft diameter.

I don't use locktite on the nuts. I just be sure the nuts are on very tight.

It is also good to use the tool made to align the timer groove with the camshaft so that the timer will turn true to the camshaft. That is necessary for proper function of the timer.

Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration