Cast sediment bowl

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cast sediment bowl
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Friday, April 01, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Anyone know of someone who can rebuild cast iron bulb. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Actually doing a rebuild of these is kinda fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:51 am:

I've done several of them, but I look for ones that have a screen that is still useable. I also use anti-seize lubricant on the valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 10:11 am:

If the long arm valve handle is stuck, don't try to twist it out. Carefully remove the cotter pin, washer, and spring, then soak the valve area well with penetrating oil. Then find a 1/4 inch drive socket that will fit over the end opposite the valve handle and tap the valve assembly out. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Heating the cast iron around the bronze parts, carefully avoiding to point the torch directly towards the bronze and letting it cool makes it possible to demount and fix even the really rusty and stuck ones :-)

(It should have been dry for a long time - no gas inside the bowl and the bowl should of course be away from the tank when heating it)

(Message edited by Roger K on April 02, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 10:44 am:

quote:

I also use anti-seize lubricant on the valve.

White lithium grease?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:15 am:

I've wondered why someone hasn't made replacement handles for the sediment bulbs. Finding them with broken off handles is common.
Maybe its because the taper in the bulbs or the handle isn't always the same taper for a good fit.

Probably its not cost effective to make them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer -- Saginaw, MI on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

My late pardoner and I gave this reproducing of these brass handles a go years back. Casting several using originals as patterns with build ups on the tapers and which had good Ford scripts and which were then machining to fit to sediment bulbs we had of our own.

However, many of the cast iron tapered ID sections that we had to work on to start with were either rusted or scored meaning that each one would have to be reamed and lapped to clean up this problem in fitting a new handle and not have drip later. This meant each handle needed to be custom machined for fitting depending on the ID's condition needed for a clean up.

Having a copy made up using the correct spec and having a vendor market them might have worked for a few sales but given the bulk of ones we saw needing reaming and lapping for clean up first would had all kinds problems both for us and the vendor who sold them. Like "now the handle is seated in too far" or "mine still drippings" and on and on.

That meant it would have turned into an exchange deal for us and we just didn't want to get involved at that point and dropped the project. Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration