58th Barcelona-Sitges Rally

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 58th Barcelona-Sitges Rally
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:59 am:

The cars are on display today. Tomorrow they drive from Barcelona down the coastal road to Sitges.

Here are the Model T participants this year:

This 1908 Peugeot looks like the car Professor Potts bought to make Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

Nice cars. Looks like fun. Does it happen every year at this time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

I realize it says "58th" , just wondering if it is always first weekend in April?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

From late March to early April - kind of sign of the arrival of Spring! The first one took place in 1959.

I forgot one of the T's:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

My 27 Roadster will be in the lineup next year!

X (those are crossed fingers)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

what's with the horns upside down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:08 pm:

Eric,

Can you send me more information of this rally. I should like to come down from Belgium next year.

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

André, I'm in the garage doing battle with the ring gear runout.
I will post some info on the rally a little later.
If you want to see it this year come on down tonight! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Here's some info on this year's edition: http://www.visitsitges.com/en/rally-barcelona-sitges-2016

If you want to participate it would be a good idea to get on the mailing list to be able to register early and get a better price.

There are three classifications in each of four categories:
1908 and earlier
1909 to 1914
1915 to 1920
1921 to 1928
The older the category the lower the entrance fee. This year's fee for the 21 to 28 category is 275€ for one car and meals for two people.

Period clothing is "de rigueur" for Sunday's drive. There aren't as many of the pre 1910 cars this year. The biggest turnout was for the 50th anniversary when over 100 cars showed up. Over the years there have been entries from France, Germany, Andorra, United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Poland and the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Richard, the upside down horns are in the first and third pictures, right? I know the owner of the first one and could ask him why his horn is mounted this way.

The third one is from France and it's the first time I've seen this car. It's a beautiful example (apart from the natural finished wheels and the horn) and I'm sure there are some things that others on the Forum will pick up on. I saw the owner install the floorboards before taking the car off the trailer and then, after a proper priming, start the engine with a quarter turn of the crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Here's a better website with more info on the participants, etc.
http://www.rallybarcelonasitges.com/en/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:37 am:

People are funny creatures. When I first got into this hobby (back in the 1960s), a lot of hobbyists were convinced that the horn was supposed to be mounted in what we now consider to be upside-down. I don't know how that got started. But I remember people telling me what the "right way" was, and they would be considered wrong today. I clearly remember beginning to doubt what I was told, because I personally found original photos showing they were wrong. I remember discussions at club meetings on the subject. And I remember dozens of people telling me that "the car had its horn on upside down" when they got it and they had to "turn it over when they restored it". I remember people trading what were probably the original horns off original cars being restored, a right-hand twist for a left-hand twist, both thinking they were lucky to put a more correct horn on their car. Probably both of them actually being wrong.
At THAT time, MOST people in this hobby THOUGHT the horn went loops down. If an older restored car today has the horn upside down. That is probably the reason for it.
Hey, what did I know in 1969? I was just a kid.
Great pictures of what looks like a fantastic ralleye! I hope to see more in the future.
Thank you.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration