A question about Prest-O-Lite cylinder

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A question about Prest-O-Lite cylinder
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I have called up and read through past discussions about Prest-O-Lites via a Google search, but my question was not answered among the threads. I have also tried without success (again!) to use this site's search engine. It only sits and idles. So, at the risk of repeating a previously asked and answered question, here goes.
I am working on a 1911 Touring. Instead of the carbide generator on the left side running board, it has the Prest-O-Lite type tank painted gold. My question is, what color would this tank have been for this car? Was it plain steel, painted or brass? If painted, what color?
I found a photo of a restored Prest-O-Lite tank in my Google search that had been painted silver/chrome and fitted with an impressive new Prest-O-Lite decal. I plan to do the same thing with a decal, but wish to finish the tank in its authentic color. Photos of restored Prest-O-Lites, please!?! Thanks in advance.
Be forewarned - I will be posting other questions about this 1911 restoration project in the next couple of months. Brass T's are NOT my area of expertise.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

See this thread for how they appeared when new:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/251711.html?1323349783

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Thanks, Roger. For some reason, my Google search didn't bring this thread up for reading. Very helpful.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Marshall

That's the way most are seen, with a nickel plate finish and dark lettering. Most times the plating is gone and surfaces rusty.

Cosmetic restored the one on the right above with spray can of Chrome, and then a coat of Semi-Gloss clear to get a burnished like shade of nickel look. New decal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Dan : Are you able to get the tanks with gages filled? The shops around here will not ever talk to you about tanks with gages. Also, when you take a tank to fill you may not get that one back. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Dan -
Yes! Yours is the photo I stumbled across during my Google search for information on the Presto-O-Lite tanks. Outstanding job restoring it! I would be tickled pink if ours turns out as nicely as yours. Thanks for posting the photo again.
Question: Since the tank's nose points forward on the driver's side running board, won't that wonderful decal be facing the splash apron, hence not seen to its best advantage? Are the decals still available?
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Dan T.,

Is that tank on the left in your first picture an old Searchlight brand? They were a competitor of Prest-O-Lite. I saw a B tank at PraxAire about 18 months ago like that a didn't know what it was. Found out later that Searchlight tanks have the protective surround around the supply valve and tank pressure gauge.

Western International says it is against regulations to fill those tanks with pressure gauges anymore. I exchange the Prest-O-Lite "B" tanks at both AirGas and PraxAire welding supply houses if you want to drive with your gas lights. They look like these when I swapped for the one on the left in December.

I was trying to show the two different valves I've seen but had a pile of MC's behind. The B tank on the right is the old style fine thread valve made to "crack" open and run headlights without a regulator.

All of these tanks seem to have the embossed "Prest-O-Lite" script logo on them but I guess you could make a dummy out of one of them. Carey, Plant Manager at Western International, said he does see some of the "copper" reverse printed POL's but I haven't seen one yet. I would like to find a good one.

I like the coarse valve with the little knurled knob for safety. Quick shut-off without hunting for a key. I was changing out headlight stands and resetting the gas in John Brown 16s before lunch today and used some of that quick, on THAT tank!!

Keith made a slick little mount to put a filled Prest-O-Lite tank on the running board where the generator goes on his '11 without drilling additional holes. It allows him to remount a regular carbide generator if he wants some bling instead of gas light.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

Hatch: My tank was cosmetic only, just for looks, never took it to get gassed. Oh, when restoring I popped the valve open and 1911 gas came out! no kidding, still had a little bit of pressure.

Marshall: Restoration Supply Co has decals, a two piece set, copper and silver. I used black only one piece set from a guy selling in the AACA magazine last decade. Don't know who makes only the black decal. But this older thread has a nice artwork that you could copy on digital file and take to a decal maker.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/502569.html?1419013390

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration