Repair panels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Repair panels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

does anybody make repair panels for the bottom of the fenders at the running board joint my fenders at that area are beat up bad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Not to my knowledge, but you can always fab your own. It shouldn't be too hard to get it close enough to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

this is a common problem, wonder why no one makes patch pieces? Maybe they're too busy selling new whole fenders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I repaired one by fabricating the end piece with the same gauge sheet metal.
On another I had a junk fender that was badly crumpled but the lower end that connects to the running board was good. I cut it off and brazed it on. After a little fab work it looked pretty good.
I have to agree a repair patch piece for the lower end of a fender would be a good seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I've made a few but it's been my experience that each loose fender presented to me was made a little differently at the center raised area. Either from previous work (hammering), repop fender or different years. It would be hard to make a "one size fits all" patch panel. It would have to be a universal "kit" that would have to be trimmed to fit around the raised area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Hmm, don't think I would suggest brazing a fender together--to much vibration and the brass will work harden and crack again--but that's just my opinion. I have a friend here who can take two T fenders and make one out of them. When he's done welding, you can't easily find the repair-before they're painted (Unless the fender is rusty, then the clean metal is where the repair was done)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:52 am:

One bad thing about brazing, it's damn hard to try to weld on anything that has been brazed if needed later. The bronze "absorbs" into the steel and is is almost impossible to remove on something as thin as a fender. Also, as David D. said, bronze is much more likely to crack from vibration, depending on the joint. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:07 am:

He may have meant gas welding. I've heard a bunch of people tell me you can braze with coat hangers. No you can't, you can weld with them but unless you have brass rod, you ain't brazing. Many folks confuse gas welding with brazing.

I do agree with the others that actual brazing isn't a good choice for fitting in a repair. It's been done thousands of times over the years but a welded repair is the better option and is much less likely to crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:00 am:

The fenders I've brazed are still holding up pretty well. It all depends how its done and most importantly who's doing it and the technique that used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

I had 2 front fenders repaired for a 27 where the running boards bolt up and it held up. They cut out the bad metal and put in New metal but the fab work wasn't cheap!! I had the car for 4 years. I would try to find good replacements and sell the rotted ones if it's a car you want to keep. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Gary, that brings up another question. I've seen several references to gas welding using coat hangers, although I've never done it. Here's why. Back in the early '60's when I was getting the car bug bad, I used to read almost every hot rod type car magazine that I could get my hands on. Back then, ALL articles that I read about welding and customizing said NOT to use coat hangers because they were made from a poor quality steel, and wouldn't make a strong weld. Anybody else remember or heard of that? Were they really poor quality? Are the modern hangers made with better steel? I've never made any comparisons myself. Any thoughts anyone? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 05:41 am:

I'm guessing they are likely 1020 steel? I buy filler rod at the welding supply place but have used coat hanger on various projects in the past when that was all I had. I really haven't noticed a difference but like the filler rod over hangers as they are straight and clean and don't really cost much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

David,
That's interesting, as I was told (back in the '60s) that coat hangers were excellent to use as the metal in them matched the car metal.
Hmmm. Of course the guy could have just been frugal, or maybe it was just his hang up! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration