Rear Axle Housing Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear Axle Housing Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Has there ever been a thread with photos showing the major external changes in the rear axle housing? Often when a car is studied by the group, someone quickly notices that the rear axle is from a later year. I would like to learn what to look for, but I don't have access to many cars. I have reviewed the Model T Ford Encyclopedia on this subject, but some pointers or photos would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I know the drain plug location was moved DOWN, in 1918, but don't know how to tell except by possibly having both styles side by side. I learned this from Gator Gould!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:09 am:

There have been quite a few threads over the years touching on this subject. But never a really concise breakdown of the major changes over the years. Certainly not one with pictures. I did write up a short version of some of it a few months ago, thought maybe I had bookmarked it, but just looked and I guess I didn't.
In USA production (Canadian production is totally different), only two variations of rear end housings before 1920 went in production more than two full years (before 1920). The so-called '13/'14 housings ran from July 1912 until at least April '15 on some cars with overlap in the first months of calendar '15. The '16/'17 early'18 is the other one. The late '18/'19 early spool/low fill housing did also run through part of 1920. At least three different housings were used during 1912, at least four variations during calendar 1915.
Canadian production started using the low fill in 1915, fully three years before USA production, but continued the smooth backing plates at least until 1920 fully five years later.
1921 through 1925 USA production I don't think changed much, but I have seen a few variations and never found any information to substantiate them. I don't know what Canadian production did those years. (Maybe that odd housing I had years ago with the single rivet brake arm was Canadian??????)
I would to work with somebody to put together a good update on this information.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Anybody have the Rodda books? I'd look it up, but I'm in Arizona and my books are in Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:59 am:

There is a pretty good treatise on Model T rear axles in the "Model T Restoration Manual" by Les Henry. The chapter on rear axle is well illustrated, and much of the information was contributed by Chris Eggsgard.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration