Rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

I pulled the rear axle to look for bronze or Babbitt thrust washers, how do I know what I have. Can the bearings be used again or how do I know if they are wore too bad to reuse? Finally is there anything else I should be looking for while it is apart? Thanks in advance for all the help.
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard - Dallas on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:28 am:

David, those are Babbitt washers in your photo. They need replaced with bronze.

You should determine whether your bearings are original Hyatt bearings (rollers made of spiral ribbon steel) or repros (solid rollers). The rollers on new bearings are .499 or .500 in. You can measure each of your rollers with a micrometer to determine wear. A few thousandths wear on the rollers is considered OK by most folks. More than that, you probably want to replace. Whether you replace with good used Hyatts or new repros can be a hot subject. I think most folks probably prefer good used Hyatts over the solid repros.

There is ALOT of other stuff to look for (worn sleeves, bad seals, broken/missing thrust washer pins in the housings and on the differential gear case, axle end play, drive shaft end play, ring and pinion gear wear and clearance, pinion bearing type and condition, etc). Most folks highly recommend replacing the old style Hyatt/Repro drive shaft roller pinion bearing with a modern Fun Projects bearing. There have been catastrophic failures of the old type.

It's a lot to think about and you really do need to get the club's rear axle repair guide, "The Model T Ford Front And Rear Axles". You can get from the MTFCA website or order from Lang's. if you've already got it apart, you may as well go through all the checks and repairs and put it back together in good shape.

http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/collections/restoration-aids/products/service-m anuals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:52 am:

Richard, thanks for the info. I have the original Hyatt bearings and I will have to measure them to see where they are at. I will have to look into the other stuff mentioned before I go looking for parts, thanks
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard - Dallas on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:58 am:

You'll want to check also for bent axles or drive shaft, and worn bearing surfaces on the axles and damaged axle tapers or worn out axle/hub keyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 01:48 am:

Richard is correct. You need the book, which covers both front and rear axles. My only slight quibble with the book is that Glen is impartial on whether to use the original style pinion bearing or the Fun Projects replacement. I'll go with the FP bearing every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I will stay with stock. I have a T that I've owned for over 50 years with all factory parts in the drive line. The car has well over 50,000 miles on it. Why change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Well I had a babbit one fail at 35 mph was a real pucker ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Scrape the edges of those thrust washers to see what's under the patina. That'll tell you right away what material they are made of. Shiny yellow brass/bronxe or dull lead looking babbitt.
The grooves in the top one look like it may be brass or bronze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Those are babbit washers. They must be replaced with bronze. Take the entire rear axle apart including the drive shaft assembly. You will find many worn parts.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Easy test for Babbitt thrust.

Just drop one from waist height onto a concrete floor.

Instant knowledge.

A bronze will bounce and ring and flip and bounce some more.

You will have to get the broom and dust pan for that Babbitt thrust washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

I am about to take a 26 rear axle apart and rebuild it but I am waiting on my book first. Afraid without it I would be lost or end up taking it a parts more than once. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:48 am:

I think Glen Chaffin just tried to remain impartial and not endorse any particular vendor item. I will vote for the Fun Projects pinion bearing replacement as well. Great alternative to the original set-up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:18 am:

...and less pieces to mess with too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I measured several NOS Hyatt bearings yesterday, as we are rebuilding Dennis Sanford's rear axle. All the NOS Hyatt bearings that we have measure .498" outside diameter on each roller.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration