O/T computer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: O/T computer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:22 pm:

I'm in need of a new computer. Think I will buy a laptop this time
There is a Dell ad in this Sunday's paper.
for $$379.99. Any ideas or feedback?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

I guess no one knows anything about computers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Richard, I'm still using an old emachine I picked up at wally world a bot six or seven years ago on sale for less than 2 hundred bucks that works. I guess it all depends on what you expect out of it. My way of looking at it is they are all made over yonder. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Richard, there are a lot of people on the forum who know a lot about computers. (If Steve Jelf weren't traveling, he'd chime in and tell you to get a Mac. :-) ) You posted your original question an hour and a half ago and if it's as nice in the rest of the country as it is here today, most people are probably not in front of their computers. You'll hear eventually...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

First question - What do you want to do with it? Make sure it has the storage and memory capacity to run the software you want to use and store the data you want to keep locally.

Second question would be the extent of the warranty? My experience over 30 years of various personal computers is that they tend to fail fairly early in the warranty period so I get more concerned about where I can take it to be repaired if needed than I do about how long the warranty is. Extended warranties tend to be real good for the seller, not so much for the buyer. Location for repair may not be an issue if the machine isn't critical to what you do, my wife uses hers for some part time work efforts and losing it would be a problem.

Assuming it has the most recent OS, some folks buy inexpensive hoping to get their moneys worth out of it before the next upgrade happens that their machine won't support. Others spend a lot more to hopefully ensure a longer life cycle. I don't have anything against a basic/inexpensive machine if it will mainly be used to handle email, surf the web, and do basic word processing and spreadsheet types of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

I got a used HP probook on EBay for around $200 that came with Windows 7 to replace an old XP desktop.
I added a docking station for $34 to make it easy to use my monitor and keyboard.
Later I got a huge USB hard drive for backups and pictures.

My wife's Probook laptop was purchased from Staples and my son just changed the hard drive to solid state to make it faster. I was so impressed that I put one in my work HP probook.

I like HP computers :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

This one i have is a desk top, I bought at Best Buys,6 or 7 yrs ago. I use the internet, of course or i wouldn't be on here and emails. That is all i use it for. Nothing fancy. Don't know much about computers, as u already have gathered.
I just saw this Dell ad in the Sunday paper and am thinking it is about time to throw this one away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

In my view, if you have enough places to plug in usb flash drives along with what Walt said right above about memory (ram) and storage (the hard drive disc), you'll be good to go.
I deal with old hard drives and nearly a TEN year old computer so I put everything on usb flash drives.
Hard drives will fail in time but if that laptop will suit what you want, do it. Good price. :-)
I like to have a keyboard to put on my lap to type.....all while I'm doing this on my phone. :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Richard,I know nothing except we once had a dell and never again!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

My x wife bought a Gateway computer yrs ago and I bought a used Dell Computer off a lady.
Now I have a Gateway desktop, i bought at Best Buys, which has been good to me, but I am just thinking about a laptop, so i can take it with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Dick...I'll take Steve's place and say it... "MAC MAC MAC". And you'll never go back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Our son a computer nut only uses Asus products and talked me into getting a Asus Laptop last year. Has run wonderfully with not one problem so far. Look up this brand and see if the reviews suit you! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

I went from a Dell ( ^*#@!%^ ) to a MAC on the advise of my daughters and several of my grandchildren and never regretted it. (The Dell I had was a POS nightmare)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Why not consider a Microsoft Surface? You can add a keyboard, mouse, and hook it to a monitor. It is as portable as an iPad (in order to make the Apple bigots quiet). It runs all the Microsoft software, and has a USB port for connections to the outside world. Compare a Surface to an iPad and you will go with a Surface. It has speed, simplicity, high resolution, portability, long battery life, and most of all light weight. It is what all personal computers will be in 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Michael, How much r they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

I have the Surface 3. It was about $475. It has an 11 inch screen, 2 gigs of memory, and a 64 Gig 'hard drive'. You would have to add other bells and whistles for a desktop monitor, keyboard, mouse/stylus, etc., but it weighs less than a couple of coils, but does not buzz. You can spend up to $1,500 for the souped up models, but since I am not doing professional graphics, the Surface 3 works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

Michael;
Where would I buy a Surface 3?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Best Buy if you want a Village Idiot answering your question. There are a number of Microsoft stores in many cities. Or even Amazon, as an alternative.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:43 am:

I will keep my opinions as to the machines that are cookie cutter replica's of the BORG Collective as my views tend to aggravate both Mac & Windows users :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Apples tend to cost more than PC's.
There is more software available for PC's (generally) than Apples.
Apples are better at graphics type stuff (pictures) than PC's. The web today is very graphic intensive.

RAM is the cheapest way to speed up your computer and graphics eat huge amounts of RAM. If a PC comes with 2 gig of RAM, upgrade to 4 gig and you won't be sorry.
I'm a former PC repair guy and behind the 8 ball in terms of what goes in them today. Model T's have accessories but a T is a T is a T.
Not so with computers but RAM and processor speed are paramount. High capacity storage is becoming common place but USB flash drives to save pictures and important documents as suggested earlier is very smart.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration