Frank Kelly's 1912 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Frank Kelly's 1912 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

About five years ago, my wife and I purchased a 1912 Touring from a gentleman in Austin. Over the course of time, we have learned the history of our car back to the 1950s. Last night, we received some black and white photos of our car from when she was found in the late 1950s and with the second owner, Bill Praus, in October 1967.

She was originally restored in the late 1950s by Frank Kelly of Minneapolis. She was a very colorful Model T. She had a yellow body, fenders that were black on top and red underneath, and a red chassis.

Some of you may remember the car from long ago.

The last photo is of her currently. Ross Lilleker of College Station did the frame off restoration.

Enjoy,
Mike Hanson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

I would say the first photo is earlier than 1957.

Minnesota Pioneer plate 413 was most likely issued in 1954 because they were over number 300 in the fall of 1953 so Frank acquire the car at least by 1954 if not earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

Thanks Eric. The earlier the better. We hope to make it up to Minneapolis this summer to visit the museum where the original registrations are housed. Assuming she was originally a Minnesota car, we might get lucky and find her original owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Mike, You and Ross sure did a nice job of returning Sophia Roses dignity!

I once found a website that contained all the auto registration information for California, by city (Not DMV records). I think it was some kind of census info.

I do not recall if it had data for other states, but might be worth searching. As I recall the information went back to the early teens.

I was able to find the details on my TT- a '22 first registered in '26. The information was valuable as it confirmed the first owners name; the same man I bought it from as it turned out as well as the dealer who first sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

John:

The original hand-posted Minnesota license plate registration ledgers for 1909 through 1914 reside at the Minnesota Historical Society in St Paul.

With the make (Ford) and motor serial number it hand, it is a matter of sitting and going line by line through the ledger that includes the 1912 registrations. My experience is that it takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to go through one bound ledger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

My dad bought the car from Dwight Madsen while Dwight was still alive. I think it was in the late 1980's. He sold it to the guy in Austin within less than a year. It was red then.

It had the brass era British T wheels on it that unbolt at the hub.

I don't recall ever seeing it with the doors installed while Dad owned it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

I wonder if red under the fenders and the red chassis was a common restoration practice back in the late 50's early 60's because the '22 Coupe I acquired was said to be restored at that time and it also had red under the fenders and the red chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Thanks for posting the additional photo, Royce. She was quite a sight (fright) when we purchased her in Austin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I do know that Dwight bought the car in 1994 (I stored my roadster in his garage during the winter of 1993-94). He didn't own it very long and sold it to Royce's father later that year due to health reasons. He passed away in July 1995.

Dwight gave me the radiator script shown in the 1967 photos. It had a clean break between the "F" and the "o." I believe I sold it at a swap meet a few years ago. I'll have to look in my inventory to see if I still have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:45 am:

I like it in the red and black! :-) (aka redmodelt)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Mike Hanson -
What color did you paint your '12? Color name/brand? I will be painting a 1911 soon and would like to duplicate this body color. The color is most pleasing and the spray job apparently very well done!
I apologize if this has been discussed before. I can't get this site's search engine to work for me.
Thanks in advance.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Hi Marshall. I will check for the tag where the paint codes are written down.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Thanks, Mike. 'REALLY like what you have done with the car!
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Mike -- You did that car a great service. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 10:12 am:

The paint code for the midnight blue we used in the restoration is Mercedes 904.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Thanks, Mike. That's what we'll use. Photos to follow in a week or so.
Marshall

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration