2016 Model T Doodlebug/ Tractor/ Power unit / Projects Thread Part II

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 2016 Model T Doodlebug/ Tractor/ Power unit / Projects Thread Part II
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Starting off the second quarter of the year with a fresh thread, For those that want the link to Part 1 of 2016, here it is: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/609585.html?1454243229

Started assembling the two cylinder project today. Using used parts always presents some challenges, every part requires attention that you might simply skip using new parts. I finally managed to get the clearances right on the mains. I was going to call it a day and decided to press on and install the lifters and cam. All is going pretty well...so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Can't wait to see this run! Good job Chad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Maple syrup season is over. Bringing the buckets out of the woods. Once everything dries out we will be driving the t's through the woods20160403_162055.jpg 20160403_161912.jpg 20160403_161425.jpg 20160403_161314.jpg that is gregg driving

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Paul, Nice looking tractor.

(Message edited by dobro1956 on April 03, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Somewhere between gallery and post they flipped over i have no idea how that happens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:09 am:

Paul, what is really nice other than owning these fine specimens is actually using them for their intended purpose. I wish I had some more property to use mine more, but when the need arises (or even if it doesn't) I will not hesitate to start it up and put it to use.

Thank You for posting the pics.

P.S., I LOVE maple syrup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Put mine to good use today during an unusual snow storm. Had fun and that is most important. Stalled it once in a snow bank when the parking brake lever flipped forward into high gear while I was trying to back up. I really need to get a new quadrant and pawl on there---maybe a starter too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

I know the feeling Chad. I'm acquiring my grandfathers 23' roadster soon and the hand brake teeth are worn right out. In order to drive it in high gear you have to keep your left foot pressed down on the hand brake to stop it from coming back up into neutral!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Chad i like your snow plow, could you send it to wisconsin for the months between nov and may i will promise it will get a good workout

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Hey Paul, some guys have all the fun!!! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

That snow plow looks neat, but I do not know what I would use it for here in South central Texas.
I has been many years since I have seen any of that white stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Most likely dandruff and not snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Thanks for the comments guys. I have a ton of fun with this thing. The plow stuff is all homemade by me, except for the plow blade (craigslist find). It raises and lowers pretty easily just using the laws of leverage by using several pivot points.

Willie, it could be used for other things, spreading stone or soil / fill for land. Just have to use your imagination is all. I was determined that if I was going to own something like this I was going to put it to good use as much as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:38 am:

A friend tipped me off to this one in southern NY. A little expensive ($400 would be fair IMO), but still a cool piece none the less:

https://binghamton.craigslist.org/pts/5533545718.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Man I am just trying to find the excuse to call on this, I have to go to Binghamton Wednesday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Zach, If had your yard size, I would have called already. As it is it is starting to get a little Fred Sanford around here with no place to put things.

I wonder if the engine even turns over (my guess is no). It would be perfect to drop into my power plant chassis if it would almost run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Today was the Early Ford V8 Club of New England annual swap meet at Fitchburg Airport. BIG turnout because of the weather and a lot of T parts to be had among all the early V8 and Model A stuff that was there. One of the things I picked up was a T frame that had been shorted to 69". It had been done some time ago for some long-forgotten project, but whoever did the work really knew what they were doing - it looks factory made. They didn't simply cut one end off - they cut both ends, moving the front crossmember back and rear crossmember forward (securing both to the rails with frame rivets). It also came with a driveshaft and pinion gear assembly that had been shortened to fit whatever they were planning to build. Once I finish the saw rig, will start roughing out a plan for this - just too nice not to build out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I just returned from picking up a Model A Pullford
Tractor The old owner said it had been parked in the woods for 50 plus years. The thing I liked about this tractor is that its complete and was parked and left intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Bill - you beat me to that one. Saw it on Craigslist - had been listed than 2 hours and when I contacted the guy, he said it was already sold. Great find at a SUPER price!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

Ron This was a deal that I could not pass up. When I first saw the add I figured it was a misprint
The seller wanted to make sure that this tractor was not sold for scrap He wanted it to go to a good home. I was able to get the spare wheel in the picture the disc plow and a complete steel spoke wheel wagon that the wood had rotted away.
I am out of room so I won't be looking at Craigslist for a while. Time to start finishing projects and enjoying them. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Bill,

I thought it was a misprint as well and nearly sprained a finger contacting the seller - but you were quicker. I'm very happy that you will be taking a break from Craigslist for a while! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 06:21 am:

Wow, what a fantastic score. I am sure Ron is foaming at the mouth, LOL. I am just glad someone here got it to save. Simply awesome---even if it was built from a T's bigger brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Bill, that is a fantastic find. Can't wait to see it in action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I stopped into visit Don, the fellow who I got the sickle bar mower from last June a couple of weeks ago when he returned from wintering in Arizona. He told me that he wanted to go for a ride to check out a T conversion. This afternoon I had a very short window of time to take a quick peek. Don as it turns out has known the family for a long time, since he was a kid -so we were warmly welcomed and encouraged to look around (wish I had had many hours available)

Yup its pretty much all in there if you can see it through all the stuff, a 27' T cowl, vaporizer carb, at least one head light was there, no radiator that I could see, engine was sort of covered up gears are a bit rough but possibly salvageable. steel wheels up front. the pinions were both removed, presumably this was done to aid in moving it around. and they are hiding in there somewhere.

Is this a PullFord? maybe a Thrifty farmer?
-not really getting the vibe that the owner is willing to sell yet, but I'll be patient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

looks like a Wards.w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, April 22, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

looks like a Wards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Good eye Dean.

Zac, that would be an awesome score if you could eventually get it. Looks like it would take a little bit to get it out of there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Zac, Good things come to those who wait but surely worth it and who knows what else is there waiting to be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Dean I think you nailed it, thank you.

-No joking around there is at least 25 acres of stuff there. Lots of just plain old junk, lots of really rough condition stuff, but some treasures mixed in. I did not see any other complete or semi complete Model T's though I did see two frames. The owner said he had two other Model A doodlebugs, I saw one. There must be 10 excavators/shovels/drag line type machines there minimum. Again, I really didn't have time to take stock we drove straight to the T, talked for a couple minutes and took off. I can't wait to go back some day with some more time on my hands.

Yes, Bill I think that this may be a long term thing, but in the end these machines are about the people you get to know as much as they are about the machines so I'm not too worried. I would like to see it jacked up and some type of roof/protection over it, maybe as my kids get older I will have some time to help him get it rolling again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Oh, Yeah Chad there is a bit of time necessary just to dig out the stuff in front of it, but fortunately the machine is in a location where it is more accessible than lots of other stuff.
This place is a little bit scary in that there are plenty of old oxygen and acetylene tanks everywhere. Apparently they fill tanks, OSHA wouldn't know where to start if they did an inspection!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 25, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Power unit pictured above has made it to EBay. Starting bid is $699. Seems to have migrated to PA as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:23 am:

A little more progress made, wish I was further along though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Looks great Chad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:34 am:

This has been a slow thread this year - usually we're up to installment 4 or 5 by the time June rolls around. Guess everyone is busy (Chad is probably still cleaning up spilled paint). The saw rig project is on the back burner for awhile - the new white oak blade cradle is complete, I'm ready to start cleaning up the replacement engine and setting it in the frame, but that won't happen until later in the summer. Another project is taking precedent.

After nearly 2.5 years of looking for a suitable TT running gear to build out as a yard vehicle, I gave up; all the REASONABLY priced stuff that would work for the project was located too far away. So I went in a different, yet familiar, direction:

Was planning on building a simple platform out of rough cut oak when the time came (she needs some work before I'm at that point), but then I found this on Craigslist:

Custom made express bed for an AA, all oak and put together with slot-head screws. Solid and heavy, incredible workmanship. Amazingly enough, I spent more in gas to go pick the bed up than I spent for the bed itself. It came with a AA project the seller purchased and he didn't want it. I cannot imagine what it would cost to build something like this today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

OH look it just gave birth to a Radio Flyer wagon! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Dennis - I about choked laughing at that one!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Ron nice find I love the front push bar front frame extension solid looking truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

William thanks - she is a monster. I picked the bed up the day I saw you at Bernardston- which is why I didn't bring one of my bugs over to the show. It was great meeting you there by the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Well, glad I didn't make the trek to Benardston then.

So THAT is what you have been up to.

Unfortunately, work on my end has slowed to a crawl due to family reasons best not discussed here. Really stinks.

The two cylinder was supposed to be running by now. So many loose ends to tie up on it. I am going to try and have it going by Orange, MA show but it still may not be then either. Lets hope it doesn't rain. This weekend hoping to attend the Gallupville, NY show on Sunday if any of you feel brave enough to venture this way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Ron, That guy was crazy for not wanting to use the bed, great score for you!

Chad, and I have talked some about the Gasup, looks like this weekend is not going to happen for me, which is too bad since the Franklin Doodlebug club will be there. Next weekend is clear so either Saturday or Sunday.
Lang's should have some parts coming for the mower doodlebug tomorrow. Nothing major, adding an outside oil line since it is cheap insurance and a new back to the ignition switch, which shorted the other day because the little metal pins fell out. The real work on the bug has been making chain tensioning devices for the detachable chain that drives the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:09 am:

I did manage to get the valve springs, 9N spring retainers and keepers all in, so the valve train is now buttoned up. I have been trying to do something even if it is for a half hour at night. Hard to get stuff done when your gone for 14-15 hours of the day doing work.

Zac, too bad, was looking forward to seeing you there. If it rains, out local T club meeting will be canceled also, and rescheduled for a rain date of next Sunday. So you never know, but hoping it is good weather for this Sunday.

Ron, will you be putting the rear back to dual wheels? That thing looks killer and even though not a TT, looks like you were in the right place at the right time to get the right pieces of the puzzle. Maybe down the road you can sell/trade it for a TT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:12 am:

Zach - I couldn't believe he didn't want the bed either. The wheel wells are tin - cut and hammered fit, the bed floor is 3/4" oak, the framing all chamfered, beveled, interlocking. Vintage slot-head wood screws, countersunk, hold everything together. Whoever built it, knew what they were doing and spent a lot of time doing it. 80% of the varnish is gone. Will remove the remaining 20% and finish in linseed oil. Seller told me it had been on Craigslist less than 30 minutes when I contacted him. He just wanted it gone.

Chad - yes on the dual wheels. She'd been used as a log skidder from the early '40s until about 10 years ago. I ordered (4) 7.50-20 BKT tractor deep lug tires yesterday just for the rear. The outer wheels will overlap the bed and that's fine with me - have no plan to put any hokey rear fenders on and detract from that express bed. She's a keeper - wouldn't dream of selling or trading her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

So here is a little of what I have been slowly working on. Like Chad a few hours here a few hours there.
The pinions are quite small on the end T axle, so after I lubricated the detachable chain with Slip Plate the chain was prone to slipping when anything more than normal flat driving is called for.
I initially thought some spring tensioned lever arms might work. I wasn't sure where to hook the springs and didn't want too much tension on the chain eventually I used lever arms and quadrants from old spring tooth harrows might have potential here it is so far, one side done:

The lever on its own does not really have fine enough teeth so the center of my tension wheel has a 2" bore that it rotates on. the center is bolted off center so it can be rotated to allow for fine adjustment.

Here it is all together.

I need to find a square headed bolt to hold the wheel, the hex head looks a little out of place. Hopefully it works OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:00 am:

Pretty clever Zach. Nice finish work on the tension roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Here are some better photos of the ice saw I just picked up It needs a lot but there are witness marks of how the rest of this unit goes together.
I will be calling Owls Head as Ron suggested to see if they still have a saw on display.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Found two more old photos of ice saws in use one looks like Model T the other Model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

"I am out of room so I won't be looking at Craigslist for a while." Yeah I have said that too!

Nice find, this is a really neat piece. The T engine is probably unparalleled in the number of devices that it was adapted to, its good to see this will be preserved rather than dismantled for the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 06:18 am:

Zach, I took Bill at his word when he said that too! I don't check Craigslist for 1 day (thought it was safe to do so and go pulling because of Bill being out of room) - 1 day - and he scores this. I guess he made room during that 1 day!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Ok old habits are hard to break I moved out a couple of non T projects so there was room for one more toy but for now I am again close to full Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

I have not been on Craigslist just too keep the record straight! But I have "something in the works" to quote Ron. -Found the old fashioned way, by driving down the road stopping to talk a little at a time for two years or so until that person connected me with the next person.
Things should be worked out just need to pay and pickup later this week they are very vaguely related to Bill's find, and would make a good team together :-)
Pictures once they are back home!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 06:36 am:

Zach - good luck with the closing. Those are still the best type of finds - the ones you work at for a while; the story of chasing it adds to the fun of having it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Zach

I can not wait to see what you found

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

As you all know I have captivated by snowmobiles so last fall finding an original set of skis was amazing. About a month and a half ago Don took me to look at a Montgomery Wards conversion when I was leaving the property I spied tracks in an old trailer. I thought getting one set would be excellent but took home 3 sets. I came very close to bringing home the Wards conversion too, but thankfully good sense told me to tell him I would wait until I got these back in action.

And look they came with a little girl!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

By the way, Rachel was crying (over nothing) because it was pretty much bed time and she was so tired. She had been crying for about 5 minutes, Mom told her she needed to calm down before she could come inside so I brought her over to the truck and stuck her in the bed, she was done crying in a couple seconds and was happy as a lark! See You don't even have to have a whole model T (or A) just the parts make kids happy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Whoa. That was quite a find Zach - unbelievable. 3 sets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

I have been observing all of the labor and effort put into building 2cyl 1/2 T engines. I am fortunate in that I own a "factory " produced Medicine Hat Foundry 1/2 T engine. The thought has occurred to me that perhaps there is interest in doing a run of new castings of these. As I have the patterns left over from my 5 main T project, it would not be quite like starting from "scratch ". Then again this might take all the "fun" out of the project for the guys building them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Very cool you finally got that deal to go through. I don't know how you didn't bring home that Wards, that thing is super sweet, wouldn't mind it myself, just need to figure out a place to put it......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Les, it would be neat, and I do agree it takes the homemade factor out. But as a reliable casting, the temptation is there even if my wallet isn't. To me, the block was easy, it was the head and the crank that were giving my anguish. I also can say for sure a two valve cover block would be way easier to work with, I missed that small detail, but this block was very cheap.

I plan to later on use this engine to power a smaller doodlebug, for now it will run as a "hit and miss" style engine on the chassis that is for my 4 cyl power unit engine that is not built yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

unfortunately the oldest set of tracks is pretty worn out, they best go with the period of my skis but hey at least there are options.
Chad, I know tough thing about the Wards but I don't want to over extend myself too far, you all know this will likely mean buying a TT or building one, as a dedicated snowmobile. As it is all of my T's could use various parts torn down and rebuilt or at least cleaned. I have considered buying the Wards, soaking it in oil taking out the engine and using it as yard art until I can restore it. That is no worse than where it is sitting now.
Les, it is hard to say about a new two cyl block. As a novelty they might sell just for people to display at shows, I don't thing many people today believe that an engine could literally be cut in half and still operate. I can also think of a half dozen fun projects to do with a half T engine mostly revolving around fun size kids yard buggies/cars/tractors. My father-in law has a Shriner T car, the engine is not original, how cool would it be if a two cyl could be shoe-horned into it somehow. I'd probably cough up money for that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

I'll post some pictures of my "original factory " 2 Cyl T engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:09 am:

Please Les, That would be great to see! Always looking for pictures of things like this to preserve for the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:53 am:

Zac those tracks are a great find the fact that there were more than one set in the same location is unreal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Les,

Am looking forward to those pictures. In addition to the applications that Zach cites above, I could also see a few people wanting them as marine conversions for a small, vintage boat (look at a Roberts marine engine and you'll see what I mean). But I'm not sure that small a market would justify the trouble/expense of a casting run.

When I complete the AA yard vehicle and finish up the saw rig, my next project is a micro T doodlebug. Sometimes projects find you, you don't find them and this is the case with the micro doodlebug. I acquired an earlier T frame that had been shortened to a total length of 69". This is no hacksaw and torch job - whoever "shrunk" this thing knew what they were doing; rails were shortened, front crossmember was moved back, rear crossmember was moved forward and everything was reattached with frame rivets (the work is so good that it looks factory-made). My intent is to put a full T engine in it, though a 2 cyl like Chad is building or you have would work very well (and allow for more options in placing the fuel tank and seat).

Zach,

Your TT doodlebug already has a really nice snowmobile setup and seems to move pretty well through the snow on the chained ag tires. Not sure how your mower T would do with a snowmobile setup - I think the gearing setup would be problematic on a few levels. I think you're right: you need to build a TT-based dedicated snowmobile - cutoff cowl, wooden express bed with bench seats; it would be fantastic.

Also, I think you need to grab that Wards and tuck it away for a future project. Too many times I have waited on something with the assurance of "it ain't going nowhere" only to discover it was gone when I was "ready." If they can be persuaded to part with it now, now is the time to snag it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Ron, you scare me on how we think alike at times. I think I have mentioned a smaller 'bug for the two cylinder. I like how you seek and /or find parts already done for your projects. I am usually not that lucky so I just build my own. Your the preservationist, Im the guy reading the vintage Popular Mechanics articles.

Two different views / parts availability with the same end result---something really cool.

Hope to see you next weekend, I left the 'bug on the trailer, just have to retighten the tie downs. If I am lucky, maybe i'll bring a surprise, it just might not be running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Ron, The field across the road has an excavator in it today so next winter there likely will not be much call for a snowmobile sickle bar mower!

The family did actually look at a TT this evening, not cut off cowls here. It has a field express body on it as far as I can see and a ruckstell rear. I would way rather it had a Warford; I have a couple ruckstells that could get redone but only one in use Warford. The top body is what this one looks like this:

The doors are sliding, truck ran and drove when parked but the owners wife had cancer and passed away he lost interest in finishing the truck at that time, rotted cab wood was replaced originals are still present as patterns, things are generally in driving order. the bed wood may still need some new pieces. There is one other TT I have been told about, I have not yet seen it or got a price. I am not convinced that I am financially ready to take the jump given the extra costs that always pop up. Maybe I should sell a project vehicle that I started before kids and just might not be practical until the kids are out of the house, it would free up money and just as important a bay in the garage.

I believe Les's engine is a Roberts, I think I have seen it in pictures posted some years ago (I'm not saying not to post them again of course!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Chad - I'll be there (with a few Moxies in the cooler). Am so behind the power curve getting ready - am announcing/pulling tomorrow at a local vineyard that has a Father's Day tractor show & pull (I'm always the only doodlebug). Spent today using Klam Digah to pull the front end of the new AA yard truck front end up and down my street trying to free a frozen passenger-side hub. Could get it to turn with a pry bar - it's at 70% right now after all the pulling and skid marks on my street. But it feels like a wasted day.

Zach,

Thought the same thing about Les' engine. There was a Roberts on CL for the last 3 months. Somewhere on the Cape for short (and shorter as the months rolled by) money. Was thinking about it for the TT project (Tiny T), but wanted a full-sized power pack.

You need to buy the TT that the Family looked at. She needs to be saved and you need a platform for those tracks. If you need bay-space in the garage, I will HAPPILY take your TT doodlebug (with skis included) off your hands, Have always been a HUGE admirer of her (and you know that).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shadetree-northern nh on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Hello guys,
I read this forum almost daily, but I only just barely registered to be able to contribute. Since I am only a "tire kicker" I thought that I would pass along the following info. June 25 in Denmark, Maine there is an auction with 3 model T's as well as parts and pieces, one auction photo shows, what appears to me, to be snowmobile tracks. I am not up to speed on posting links so you will have to go to auctionzip to check it out. I am not connected to or affiliated with this auction in anyway, just wanted to pass along the info. Shadetree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 08:07 am:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=2707785

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

That looks like an auction I will be going to many very interesting parts along with the tracks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Ron, I think all of us feel you on the wasted day thing it happens more than I would like to admit

Shadetree,Thanks for the heads up. I wouldn't mind being at that auction there are some wheels I could really use. At least one bogie axle too! I am jealous of Bill, I hope he is able to get some neat new toys! if there aren't many T people there he could go home with some seriously great stuff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Zach and Chad
every reference I find of Roberts engines is that they are marine engines. I own a Roberts converted T engine and it has a number of features to make it suitable for marine use. Amongst these;
1. crankcase doors cut into the block for rod access.
2. a plunger type water pump built into the cylinder head and run from the crankshaft.
3. a combination exhaust/intake/water manifold
4. a gear driven oil pump to accommodate a wide variance in operating angles depending on boat speed.

The engine I have is designed to be operated generally on the level. No water cooled exhaust, which is so typical of marine applications (where a unlimited amount of cooling is available.
No water pump. typically this engine was intended to be used stationary running a modest size irrigation pump (about 10 hp). It was cooled by recycling a small flow from the outlet of the pump back to the inlet.
As I have said, I have seen identical units in old rural irrigation areas around here and have on good authority that they were made by "Alberta Foundry and Machine" at Medicine Hat Alberta

It seems that there is insufficient interest in doing a run of two cylinder blocks, heads and crankshafts. All the best

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

I want to extend my greatest gratitude for Ron, his son Liam and wife (sorry I forgot her name) and "Worthington" Don. I once again made the 2.5 hour trip to Orange, Ma for a truly great tractor / engine show, (Central Massachusetts Steam, Gas & Machinery Association (CMSGMA), and these two gentleman truly had the greatest hospitality ever.

T and A doodlebugs are thriving in Mass, there were many at the show and it was great to see people having fun with them.

To Bill Harper, I am sorry I missed you. My tent broke trying to set it up so I was seeking sun shelter most of the day at Ron's tent.

The two cylinder while incomplete, was a HUGE hit. Tons of questions, usually had small groups of people around it throughout the day. I promise I will have it running next year. Pics later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Chad - glad you enjoyed the day and made it back to NY safely. Your 2 cyl is a fantastic piece - I don't think a moment passed yesterday when there wasn't a group of people standing around it. The pictures you've posted here on the Forum of the project do not do it justice. There was a total of 14 doodlebugs/conversion tractors at this year's show - of which 6 were Ts. The number grows every year.

About 1/4 of the field was gone by sunset. Off to start hauling the rest of mine back home.

Hopefully, Donnie, Liam and I will make it up to your show in NY next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Next year I should think ahead and have my oldest have her birthday party on another weekend so we could go.
FYI- there is a wishlist on the 'fridge of stuff she would like, one of the items is "Model T tour"

Some kids from the party; there was never really a time without empty seats all afternoon. They used the 'bug and trailer as playground equipment when I wasn't driving, couldn't keep them off, but that is good.

If someone keeps them interested in T's through high school then the future of the hobby is secure... easier said than done I suppose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

And Ron and I were just talking about your awesome trailer yesterday.

One of Ron's fleet From yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Ron great display
Zac that is a trailer load of smiles
Great job you guys keeping our hobby out there for all to enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 09:52 am:

I snapped a few pictures at the Orange MA show.

A front wheel drive, rear steer Worthington tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:20 am:

A few more photographs from the show:

A lot of engine in such a small tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Bill, again sorry I missed you. I hoped someone got pictures of the two cylinder out in the sun. It was a spectacular day, although a little cloud cover would have helped.

For whatever reason, I missed a pic of "Worthington" Don Tylers rear steer tractor so I am very glad you got one. I think I got to far into his Wards A tractor conversion to get pics of this black beauty. This rear steer model is claimed to be 1 of 5 known that are left. At least on the east coast, I think Donnie is the Worthington king, he has lots of them and is VERY knowledgeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Hi Chad,

Yes, the occasional cloud would have been appreciated. It was a hot day and the sun was unrelenting. I did not drop the top on the runabout.

I'll post a few more pictures of Donny's rear steer Worthington.

A blacksmith was plying his trade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:41 am:

The New Salem Fire Dept hood on Donnie's Ward's A tractor was of great interest and discussion Saturday. It is very cool to have a piece of local history, and to think he ALMOST painted over it! Thank God his wife had enough sense to stop him. The unfortunate part was he missed the New Salem Fire Chief at the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:52 am:

You guys are going to turn this into a doodlebug destination show!

Great pics all around. Just looking at the pictures of Chad's engine illustrates some of the construction issues that turn a quick project into the undertaking that it has been. That intake and Exhaust really look nice! The engine deserved a crowd all day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:59 am:

A pic taken of me by the Athol (Mass) Daily News, by Staff Reporter Ashley Arseneau and her Photographer. I was shocked when she asked me, but it was really cool to have some media there. I thanked her and asked her back for next year.

(Message edited by Chad_Marchees on June 27, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Bill Harper,

I saw your runabout parked along the main entrance road. I see you stopped by the Maybrook Tractors tent - great pictures - am sorry I missed you!! I didn't bring everything this year - left my '28 and the T/IHC mower conversion at home (just ran out of energy after hauling all day Friday). Sunday, when I was pulling everything back, was even worse with the heat and dust.

Pepperell is next show and Donny was talking about bringing the rear steer to it. Hope to see you and Bill Weiss there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Weiss on Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Ron
I will try and make it to Pepperell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Here are photos of a few of the tractors last weekend's Ashtabula County (Ohio) Antique Engine show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Wow some very nice Fords. The first conversion makes one wonder how far the wish bone can drop before something gives maybe there is some modification. The tie rod is something else too..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:51 am:

Both of those conversions are Shaws. Hats to believe there were two at one show (pretty rare conversion kit). That hi-crop Shaw is exceptionally rare; only second one I've seen outside of old Shaw brochures.

Weather looking iffy for Pepperell on Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 06:07 am:

**Hard to believe....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 08:48 am:

WOW. Unbelievable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:01 am:

All the Fordsons in the pictures look like they've been finished in linseed. The half-tracked configuration is a Hadfield-Penfield conversion - a lot more rare than a Trackson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Both of the Shaws have the correct steel wheels in the front. The ones on my Shaw went missing somewhere over the years and I would love to find a set. There's a set on Ebay right now (with the wrong hubs) for $1000.00 plus shipping. Will be amazed if they get that for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:04 am:

I really have to thank Ron for getting the ball rolling on this type of thread a couple years ago. This has brought so many conversions and doodlebugs to light that a lot of us previously might have said "that's neat" and moved on. The T was truly a universal automobile and these stepchildren of them deserve as much attention given their history.

Once again from Dale's photos above, there are some awesome pieces still out there most of us have never seen. Thank You Dale for posting. I know there are at least a few of us that really appreciate it.

And thank You Ron, your knowledge is truly vast in this arena.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

I was wondering who made the half track conversion I do not believe I have seen one before.

I found a picture on my computer last night, a Shaw freshly plucked from 30 years in a barn outside Philadelphia in 2012, not sure if it was previously posted. (I am not looking back through three years of posts to verify) Anyone recognize it?

Before I ever posted here Ron located me and we were occasionally emailing; he has a knack for drawing doodlebug enthusiasts together whether he knows it or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 06:10 am:

Wow, even the trailer had shiny paint back then, LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Zach,

It's a riot that you still have that picture. If I had to do it all over again, I'd restore her in her work clothes. Aside from saving a ton of $$ in Krylon gloss black (and hours of frustration trying to lay a decent coat with a rattle can), they're just more interesting when they look fresh from a barn.

Chad,

Trailer was pretty new back then. Found it on CL. A couple up in the Berkshires moved their daughter out west somewhere. They bought the trailer brand new to transport the daughter's car, used it that one time and then put it on CL for about 1/2 of what they paid. Never know what will turn up on CL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Friday, July 08, 2016 - 09:54 am:

When I first saw the meticulous job you were doing I thought that it was a shame the Shaw wasn't left as it was, but you really did an excellent job and I like the premise that it could have been used as a promotional tractor for Shaw, a pretty good storyline. So the tractor works well and also provides an interesting contrast against the reality of what they looked like (even if they had a bit more black paint at the time).
A part of me thinks the the sickle bar mower I have should get a good paint job some day. It is obvious that someone took great pride in their work despite a fairly simple set of tools to work with beyond worn out parts and talent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 06:10 am:

Here is the link to part 3 of 2016:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/658014.html?1468475348

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration