Loose fan belt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Loose fan belt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Whitney on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:06 am:

I have a 26 motor with a Rajo overhead valve conversion that I have running well but every time I run it the fan belt loosens up. It does have a leak less water pump.....I don't want to over tighten the fan/belt adjustment. Am I missing something that holds the fan/pulley/belt adjustment ? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Did you try run it without the pump?
All flathead T's and many OHV T's can run without any pump if the radiator is good.
If you don't do parades you may get by without the fan too - as soon as you're running 5 mph (or more) the air flow through the radiator will be enough without any fan.

If you have to use a pump after testing without, then you must check if it turns like it should - many old pumps has a rusted and worn shaft where it's sealed - to seal it has to be tightened so much it's hard to turn. A new stainless shaft in new bushings would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Frank,

By a serpentine belt from an auto parts store or an industrial supplier. They're just like the serpentine belts on modern cars, but a bit shorter. I run the grooved side against the pulleys. They last for many years and never stretch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:50 am:

Get rid of the non Model T water pump as long as your rad is half decent. Even then, if you have a leather belt, it might loosen up regularly. I got rid of all that and now run a rubber belt on the original setup. Even with very little tension, it always works great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration